Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 5th June

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 5th June

Post by WorcsPhil » 30 May 2022 16:57

WEEKLY UPDATE:

'Participation apathy' is a phrase that has been uttered recently across a range of cycling clubs, and other sporting organisations. Since lockdown has finished, people have perhaps got out of the habit of doing more organised things and prefer to fly solo, but we're determined to ensure that Beacon doesn't sleepwalk into this craze that is sweeping the nation, i.e. the 'can't be bothered effect' :shock:

As a club, we have people prepared to put themselves out to organise cycling-related events, and although we always need more proactive people, we don't do too badly. But events such as club runs, Time Trials, the Academy events and the Track championships at Halesowen need you to get involved, try them out, come back for more and encourage others to go along...so that's the message this week....join in and/or help out....pleeeaaaseee

So, in order to get this more flexible, I propose that club runs will still operate by people offering to lead on the message board and people signing up in advance, but if you're the type who refuses to kow-tow to authority or even need to make a late decision about whether to ride, if you turn up on a Sunday, you won't be turned away. However, this is still at the will of the organiser so there may still be a limit to the numbers due to cafe size, friendliness of the owner etc...so read the leaders' post before just turning up. Hopefully, this may encourage some waverers to come out on a club run rather than riding solo or with your mate for the 17th consecutive week.

There's a lot going on in the next few weeks, so please support the organiser by getting involved when you can. The Beacon Track Championships happen later in June and it would be good to get riders along to this...even if you've not ridden on the track before, take a look at the post on the Message Board in order to sign up in advance for some track experience then have a blast on the day.

So, as we move into June, let's get a full set of A, B, C and D runs each week if we can. We already have a thriving Tuesday club run selection this week again, an excellent Academy cycling evening on Wednesday (see Facebook page), as well as D-run on Thursday and a planned 360kms A-ride to Liverpool and back on Friday, but we also have June's Intro ride, led by Mick Stanford this Sunday, as well as Cedric's 'open-to-all' 200 at C-run pace this Sunday and a 'normal' distance C-run already posted...so you can see, as a club we offer a massive range of cycling activities for your delectation.

If you've read this far down...well done and hope to see you out soon

Keep happy

Phil

CeGi

Re: Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 5th June

Post by CeGi » 30 May 2022 21:49

Surely Phil,
no two week-ends are ever the same. Some see masses join rides, some are very scarce.
Hard to forecast.
I'll never refuse a last minute participant turning up unannounced on the morning itself ... but it's nice when people register in advance as it gave you an incentive / obligation to get out of bed :wink:
Hopefully with my slow ramp-up to 300k is soon over. Coincidence with bad weather, family meets, jubilee BH weekend, or simply too long for Sunday rides but they seem to slowly get less and less participants. Can't wait to be able to resume shorter rides which I hope will attract more fellow cyclists