Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 31st July

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 31st July

Post by WorcsPhil » 25 Jul 2022 09:33

WEEKLY UPDATE:

Only one place to start this week, Lord Philip Whiteman's devious Kidderminster Killer Audax, which took place on Saturday. Wow, what a tough day this is, with 28 hills (according to my Garmin), some of them so steep, the garmin screen turned black! :o ... and there was an optional winch in the hedge we could use, but it's the descents that were so tough, 15-20% and full of gravel after the rain the day before, made for a slow old ride. Well done to all the riders, of which there were 8 (I think from Beacon), to all the volunteers, and of course to the good doctor for putting on this infamous event. It is a bucket list ride, but it's not for the faint hearted...or 23c tyres!

Good to see the Tuesday night bash focused on the pub last week in temperatures so hot, many riders went straight to the Peacock pub rather than focus on their own fitness...shameful behaviour :D . Get your name down this week, where it's more like Derby weather than Abu Derby.

Good set of club runs over the weekend, with a focus on Beacon Bursts...thanks to Kamran Anwar and Stuart Jones for leading two of those, and of course to Cedric, Mariana and Paul B for their usual leading duties...

Last weeks 25mile TT turned out to be 22 miles due to roadworks but congrats to Ian Taylor and Celia Brown for flying round that course and the Claire Fudge who wasn’t far behind… it’s back to Earlswood a week on Wednesday for the popular 2-up road bike. Buddy up and go along. I’m at the Commonwealth games athletics that night so I know Neil Orchard needs to tow someone round… and yes, it’s the start of the Brum games on Thursday, if you’re watching or volunteering, or even participating, then have a great time!

...and what a Tour de France it was, eh? Wondferful to see such attacking cycling every day, and whatever they're paying Wout van Aert, it should be doubled...what a rider, but as I've said before, could he hack it up Church Hill in Beoley on a wet Tuesday night? I suspect not.

Anyway, let me know all your cycling stories or events coming up as I'm not a mind reader, I can only glean what you're doing from Strava or facebook...so shout out anything here or to me privately and I'll ensure you get due recognition!

Have a good week

Phil