Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 7th August

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: George, Beacon RCC, WorcsPhil, David Cole, laurence_cooley, Andy Terry, deero83, neilo

WorcsPhil

Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 7th August

Post by WorcsPhil » 01 Aug 2022 10:32

WEEKLY UPDATE:

What a summer of sport, and England have actually won a football trophy...go the girls! ...and the Tour de France femmes as well proving that that this summer is switching the perceived culture away from men's sport being the only thing that matters...and long may this continue!

...but Adam Peaty lost! The Commonwealth games have started superbly and we've all fallen in love with a 30ft bull that's a symbol of our own repression, but hopefully, Bully will be a positive symbol of our city for many years to come and not taken away and smelted into a metallic shapeless orb.

Anyway, it was also a great weekend of cycling, and first up, huge congratulations goes to Gavin Giles who won a gold medal in the TT and a silver medal in the road race at the Transplant Games after a hugely difficult year for him...well done, Gavin, you are indeed an inspiration to many of us.

Some excellent club runs were also seen at the weekend, a splendid ride out for the A and B riders to Tewkesbury and Long Marston respectively and thanks to Neil Orchard and Noel O'Dwyer for leading these runs. Other rides available were a gravel ride on Saturday led by Celia Brown and the usual Cedric enigma variations this time on Friday...thanks to all the leaders and their unsolicited pub stops after I'd just turned off for home (are they trying to tell me something??)

So what's coming up this week? We have the usual Tuesday night offerings of course, and the popular 2-up road bike time trial is back on Wednesday around the Earlswood course (solo TT bikes are also fine to enter of course). Thursday sees the Commonwealth games Time Trial around Dudley and Wolverhampton so why not go out a watch if you're not working, and it would be good to route any club runs net Sunday down Warwick way to watch the games road races for men and women.

It's fabulous to read of Beacon guys out touring and this year has seen many an adventure, not least Helen Colson's solo trip across Scandanavia, Simons Walker and Turner's trip around Scotland and Munich to Rome, but Michelle and Chris Thompson are also vying for the Touring trophy with adventures of their own, and are currently gravelling around the King Alfred's Way, a 350kms loop around Wessex!

Next Sunday sees the start of the London Edinburgh London (LEL) Audax, a 1,540kms jaunt up hill and down dale where as I've said before, despite this event being held every four years since the 1970's we've never had a Beacon finisher...but there are SEVEN beacon starters next week, namely:

Carina McGovern
Phil Richards
Mick Stanford
Karl Walton
John Williams (possibly)
Stu White
Andy Wrightson

Wish us good luck on this monumental ride, where we'll be averaging 200miles per day for 5 days, i.e. finished by Thursday night. Madness. For those even remotely interested, later this week we'll be posting a weblink to dot watch our progress.

Anyway, rest up, enjoy the summer of sport and see you on the road somewhere.

Phil

PaulB

Re: Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 7th August

Post by PaulB » 01 Aug 2022 11:25

Hi Phil

I also done a D run Saturday just so its on the record thanks and thanks for the updates, good reading
Thank You

Paul B

CeGi

Re: Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 7th August

Post by CeGi » 01 Aug 2022 11:46

WorcsPhil wrote:
01 Aug 2022 10:32
For those even remotely interested, later this week we'll be posting a weblink to dot watch our progress.
I am interested and will be following ... from the comfort of my sofa!
WorcsPhil wrote:
01 Aug 2022 10:32
it would be good to route any club runs net Sunday down Warwick way to watch the games road races for men and women.
Was strongly thinking about it, but will be riding quite a fair bit Saturday and doubt I'll be in the mood to clock another 60 miles Sunday, so leaving this for others to organise