Weekly update and club runs for the week 8-14 August

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

George

Weekly update and club runs for the week 8-14 August

Post by George » 09 Aug 2022 21:31

WEEKLY UPDATE:

Our much-esteemed Chair and Principal Weekly Updater Phil Richards is away on some silly little ride down south (or do I mean up north… or down and up… and or down and up and down?). So you'll just have to put up with news from me this week. (Though curiously I find myself unintentionally echoing his style, so maybe it won't matter very much.)

We had another full house of club runs out last weekend, with a standard A run, two excursions to the Commonwealth Games and the latest of Cedric's grand adventures… all preceded by a Saturday Burst. Thanks to all the leaders for contributing to such a diverse and imaginative programme.

The coming weekend looks like being another scorcher, so everyone who goes out is advised to take sensible precautions: sunscreen and/or skin cover, loads of fluids and, most importantly, moderation of the intensity to compensate for the extra physical burden associated with the heat. If you do find yourself struggling, have courage to bail out; heat stroke is no joke. With a few common-sense precautions, a regular cyclist can generally ride safely on a hot day. Without precautions, even the strongest and fittest can get into trouble. Sorry about the nannying, but this stuff isn't as obvious to everyone as you might think.

Anyway, the weekend programme already features several attractive options. First, there's Mariana's Intro Ride. Please flag this up to anyone inside or outside the club who might be interested in getting (back) into organised group riding. Also planned for Sunday is Si Walker's annual hundred-in-seven. Then, for a bit of variety, Cedric's leading a C-pace Beery Burp ;-) on Saturday. It would be great to see a couple of standard-length Sunday runs added to the calendar as well. Do we have any takers? Go on!

Before all that, there's an Academy Fun-and-Fitness session for the kids on Wednesday. It's a one-hour, coached activity at Mosely School, starting at 5:30pm. If you're a mum or a dad, a grandma or a grandad, or if you can simply nick a nipper off a neighbour, why not pop along? It's fun, it's healthy and you might just be putting a 2034 Commonwealth medallist on the path to glory.

For details of any of upcoming activity, search for the relevant topic on this message board, browse the club website… or JUST ASK!