September Intro Ride

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

George

September Intro Ride

Post by George » 27 Aug 2022 12:34

The next Introductory Ride will be on Sunday 4 September. We'll meet at the Black Horse at roughly 09:00 for a quick chat before an 09:15 departure. Maximum group size (including the two leaders) is eight people. We'll do 49km (roughly 32mi) on a route based largely on country lanes, without any major climbs. As always, it'll be the pace of the slowest rider, which is typically about 20kph (12.5mph), give or take one or two. The emphasis will be on getting the hang of group riding and the club run format, and on enjoying the fresh air and countryside. There will be a café stop just over half way. We should be back by about 1pm, but the return time sometimes overruns if someone has a flat tyre or whatever.

Here's the route:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33989815

All riders should be familiar with our Club Run Guidelines:
http://beaconrcc.org.uk/club-runs/club-run-guidelines/

Any questions, please ask.

George Barker (L)
Steve Vaughan (L2)
Sarah Platt
Caroline Davis
(Possibly) Helen Colson

George

Re: September Intro Ride

Post by George » 31 Aug 2022 15:33

Not much interest in this ride yet! If you know anyone who might be interested, do please alert them. Cheers!

Puddindavis

Post by Puddindavis » 31 Aug 2022 21:40

I have just joined Beacon RCC.
I am looking forward to the Sunday intro ride.
I have no experience of riding in a group but have done the London to Brighton and a century ride back in April . Not much since, been waiting for my new bike. Bike finally arrived as my motivation left. Big London revolution ride October. Need to find my MoJo quickly !!!
Caroline

George

Post by George » 01 Sep 2022 11:55

Puddindavis wrote:
31 Aug 2022 21:40
I have just joined Beacon RCC.
I am looking forward to the Sunday intro ride.
I have no experience of riding in a group but have done the London to Brighton and a century ride back in April . Not much since, been waiting for my new bike. Bike finally arrived as my motivation left. Big London revolution ride October. Need to find my MoJo quickly !!!
Caroline
Hello, Caroline. Welcome to the Beacon! It will be great to have you along on Sunday. Providing mutual support and adding a social dimension to cycling is what club runs are all about. Don't worry about having no group riding experience: an Intro Ride is the perfect starting point for picking that experience up. Take a look at the club run guidelines linked above to give yourself a head start. You'll almost certainly find the ride easy compared with the rides you mention, but I'm confident you'll get something from it. The weather forecast doesn't look great, so come prepared. But riding in the rain isn't so bad when it's warm and there are other people to moan about it with. Besides, recent forecasts haven't been tremendously accurate and have often changed in the final 24 hours, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

George

Post by George » 02 Sep 2022 10:30

The weather forecast has improved a little, from rain all day to rain starting late morning. Hopefully we can get to the café in the dry, and if we get wet on the way back that's not too bad, since people can dive straight into the shower when they get home.

Nevertheless, I am having last-minute doubts about the choice of destination. I opted for Earlswood because it's a nice flat route. However, we usually sit outdoors there. Indoor seating is limited when large numbers of cyclists turn up. In the past, I have often taken Intro Rides to Rowberry's at Chaddesley Corbett, where there is much more indoor seating and you can nearly always get a table. The route is roughly the same distance, and if anything offers more quiet lanes and nicer scenery. The drawback, however, is that there are more hills.

How would prospective participants feel about a change? If anyone has any misgivings, we'll stick to the advertised route. Here's the Rowberry's route:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38372418

Helen

Post by Helen » 02 Sep 2022 11:47

Hi George - I'm considering coming along but will be a last minute addition if I do - other plans dependent... I'm happy to ride however many hills you want though!

George

Post by George » 02 Sep 2022 14:30

It would be great to see you, Helen. And, about the hills, I should add that I've used this route for Intro Rides numerous times before, and I can only remember one time when anyone had to get off and walk. None of the hills are extreme, it's more just that they keep coming, especially on the way back. I wouldn't want to spring that on anyone who thought that they were signing up for a flat ride. And, as I say, we'll only do the revised route if everyone is agreeable.

George

Post by George » 04 Sep 2022 15:05

Participant list, alphabetised for Phil's benefit:
George Barker
Caroline Davis
Sarah Platt
Steve Vaughan

Not a big group, but a well-matched group, which afforded us plenty of opportunity to chat to our newcomers. Well done, Caroline and Sarah; we look forward to potentially seeing more of you in the weeks and months ahead. Look out for Paul's D rides, and feel free to do more Intro Rides if you like. If you've got any follow-up questions or would like a copy of the booklet I described, DM me any time.

Steve, many thanks for your help. I'm sure you will make an excellent Intro Ride leader any time you fancy giving it a go.