Sunday 11th Sep. 9:00am. 94k / 58 miles "Dave's loop" C ride.

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

CeGi

Sunday 11th Sep. 9:00am. 94k / 58 miles "Dave's loop" C ride.

Post by CeGi » 03 Sep 2022 11:39

I propose this deceptively hilly ride https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35468348 (with Winwood heath to get warmed up at the beginning. Don't blame me, I wasn't the one creating this route, just re-using)
Expected average speed 14mph average.
Quick café stop at 'the Lounge' in Alvechurch just over half mark if tempted.
Also the possibility to go and do one loop around Bartley green reservoir at the end for those who want to push it above the 100k mark.

Meeting at the BH for a 9:00am departure

Kamran Anwar
Ian Gannon
Ced G
Mariana Sorrill (TBC)
Mark Stammers
Joe Walker

NB1: Please note that due to medical reasons I use a handle-bar extender, a bit like TT-bars. I use this to relief the pain of NHS diagnosed trapped nerves in my wrists and elbow. I do NOT use these to ride like a TT racer, to draft behind others or similar performance seeking stunts.
Every bike ride, be it commute, ride alone or in group, entails its share of risks (bad road surface, motorised traffic, natural elements, our or other riders' mistakes or inattentions...). This is common knowledge and we all ride at our own risk. Nevertheless if my use of this extender this makes you feel uncomfortable, please do not join my rides.

NB2: Please also note that due to a combination of overloaded bike, love handles and betablockers, I am slow going uphill. Do not expect Alps climbing performance from me. So do not be surprised if you'll probably all overtake me during climbs. We'll regroup at the top and carry on from there.
Last edited by CeGi on 10 Sep 2022 20:53, edited 3 times in total.

IanG

Re: Sunday 11th Sep. 9:00am. 94k / 58 miles "Dave's loop" C ride.

Post by IanG » 03 Sep 2022 13:31

I’m in

Mariana278

Post by Mariana278 » 07 Sep 2022 15:44

If I’m not too hung over I will join you

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 07 Sep 2022 21:57

Mariana278 wrote:
07 Sep 2022 15:44
If I’m not too hung over I will join you
Was Turkey that wild you're still hung over?!! ;-)

Kamran

Post by Kamran » 09 Sep 2022 15:50

Count Joe Walker and myself in please.

Mariana278

Post by Mariana278 » 09 Sep 2022 21:37

I’m celebrating my birthday in England tomorrow night 🎉

MarkS

Post by MarkS » 10 Sep 2022 17:30

Pop me down too please.

Mark

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 12 Sep 2022 00:28

For once the advertising of my ride was honest and not pretending it would be flat. The scarecrow of Winwood heath was even clearly mentioned.
Out of ignorance (having never done it before) some stepped forward, others more wisely seeked refuge in alcohol!
So on this slightly foggy morning the following riders met at the BH for a ride which would turn out quite eventful:
Kamran Anwar
Ian Gannon
Ced G (L)
Mark Stammers
Joe Walker

After about 10 miles of already intense warm-up, the main dish approached. The whole group rushed forward, eager to fight but was delayed by an inconsiderate Discovery driver. Sorry guys, I know you all want him hang up by his balls, skinned alive and then lowered into boiling acid but I check my rear camera and I did not get his registration.
The road now free everybody was then free to vent off his frustration at various speed.
Despite my impressive 2mph speed in the steep part : Image I still managed to grab my PB for Winwood heath road: Image

A good 10 miles later, after having met a few horse riders, one of them informed us that a cyclist had fallen in a curve a bit ahead of us. We soon met 2 guys walking up a little hill pushing their bikes painfully. One of them looked bad. We stopped to see how we could help. Arriving downhill behind a horse, and with a cyclist coming in the other direction he brake but the road very muddy made him lose control. I tried to remember what I had learned on the first aid course. Conscious, breathing, no blood squirting everywhere: the case was not desperate, but from the pain he had in his shoulder and the fact that his head had ended up in the bank (the size of the earth clump on his helmet was sufficient to snap your neck) I judged wiser to get our dear NHS involved. Dislocated shoulder of collarbone? That poor cyclist from Worcester will not be cycling for a while. We put a jacket on him, got a blanket from the cottage nearby and waited until the ambulance arrived. This was welcomed by all as we were starting to get a bit chilly.
Sorry, forgot the most important part: his carbon bike is OK, just muddy and only has a little scratch on the handlebar tape, so all is good ;-)
Good reminder to try to always control your speed downhill and to wear a helmet. Reminded me of another ride last year when going fast downhill one of us nearly got trampled by a horse he had spooked and another ended up in the hedge to avoid this!

A bit later, destiny stroke again with Ian's overworn cleat to start playing up and forcing him to part company early (or was in fact the perspective of the approaching 'Beacon Hill' ? ;-)

I had then the stark reality check that despite 31 years in the country my accent is still terrible and simple instructions like 'we regroup at the top' still remain unintelligible for the natives! But destiny let us regroup at the café eventually ... only to find it closed on Sundays! Fortunately the other café next door was open. But so busy that we had to enjoy our coffees and cakes (or bacon bap for some) crouching on a few bricks next to the gutter! But the food and drinks were welcome. The weather became clearer and the sun could be spotted more easily.

Because of the delay caused by our Samaritans stop and because some needed to be home at a certain time, the group then split in two.

Overall an eventful and I think enjoyable ride for all.
Can't wait to see what next week's adventures will have in stock for us :-D

George

Post by George » 12 Sep 2022 09:56

Sounds like quite a day, Cedric. Good to hear that no one involved in our ride was hurt. Hopefully the Worcester bloke will be okay. At least it lets me feel less uncomfortable about being a cowardly descender: you never know what's round the next corner!

Presumably this ride was training for your assault on the Hill Climb Championship next week, Cedric?

I look forward to seeing everyone there on Sunday!

George

Post by George » 12 Sep 2022 09:56

PS: which café is it that doesn't open on Sundays?

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 12 Sep 2022 10:41

George wrote:
12 Sep 2022 09:56
PS: which café is it that doesn't open on Sundays?
'The Lounge' in Alvechurch, we went to Café Muso just next door

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 12 Sep 2022 10:43

George wrote:
12 Sep 2022 09:56
Sounds like quite a day, Cedric. Good to hear that no one involved in our ride was hurt. Hopefully the Worcester bloke will be okay. At least it lets me feel less uncomfortable about being a cowardly descender: you never know what's round the next corner!

Presumably this ride was training for your assault on the Hill Climb Championship next week, Cedric?

I look forward to seeing everyone there on Sunday!
I know my limits George, there would be nothing championship-like with me. Managing to reach the top without setting foot on the floor is my achievement. I leave the KOM's to younger studs.
But me always being a bit different, I might start a new competition, the Hill descent championship. I'm in for that one.