REVISED PLAN: Watching the Hill Climb - Sunday 18 September

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

George

REVISED PLAN: Watching the Hill Climb - Sunday 18 September

Post by George » 10 Sep 2022 12:29

Next weekend, Sunday 18 September, is the club's Hill Climb Championship. Entries are open here: http://beaconrcc.org.uk/club-time-trials-2022/. For anyone who is relatively new to the club, the Hill Climb is a bit of a special occasion... the traditional bookend to the racing season, with an end-of-term atmosphere. Often, many non-racing club members go out to watch and encourage the competitors, and afterwards have a coffee together. It's a great opportunity for mingling and chatting to people outside the group you usually ride with.

I HAVE REVISED MY PLANS TO FIT IN WITH WHAT PHIL AND CEDRIC ARE DOING. SEE BELOW.

snailmale

Re: Watching the Hill Climb - Sunday 18 September

Post by snailmale » 11 Sep 2022 09:52

Coffee at the Country Park sounds a bit of a bummer.

Way back when, the hill climb was held on the first Sunday in October and then it was all down to the Holly Bush for a couple of jars to welcome in the Social Season :P
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

George

Post by George » 11 Sep 2022 15:48

Yeah, that was still the way of things in my early days with the club, Alan. But I don't think there's much appetite for that now. There's still the pre-Christmas pub rendezvous at Chaddesley Corbett to look forward to, though!

George

Post by George » 13 Sep 2022 13:55

My main motivation in proposing this ride was to get together a good-sized group of people from different ability groups at the post-race café. If in the next few days it becomes clear that most people are heading down to Broad Acres, I may suggest harmonising or merging with the rides that Phil and Cedric are leading.

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 13 Sep 2022 16:27

I got that George
And whilst i am happy to modestly participate in that 'hill race' tradition, 20k really aren't enough for me hence why I double piggy backed on Phil's route too after yours. Maybe we ought to think about privatisating the broadacres café for this coming sunday ;-)

George

Post by George » 14 Sep 2022 10:19

Cedric, your plans sound absolutely fine. However, if I lead a splinter group to a different post-event café, I'm defeating my own objective, so I think it's much better if I simply align my plans with yours and Phil's.

George

Post by George » 14 Sep 2022 10:43

CHANGE OF PLAN!

It looks as if the main post-hill-climb gathering is now going to be at Broadacres Fishery. I therefore propose merging my plans with the plans published by Phil and Cedric. I won't lead a separate ride from the BH to the hill climb. Anyone who wants any easy-paced, guided ride to the hill is invited to join Cedric's group. Alternatively, make your own way to the hill and join one of the rides after the event.

After the event, people can either join Phil's faster group or Cedric's slower group to the café. If there is any excess demand not catered for by Phil and Cedric, I will be available to lead an easy-paced group from the hill to the café, following this route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40929281.

After the café, if everyone is happy to continue with Phil or Cedric, I'll simply ride home. However, if there are people for whom Phil's group is too fast and Cedric's ride is too long, and who are unsure of how to get home, I'm happy to guide them back to the BH via a short route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40929319.

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 14 Sep 2022 23:32

George wrote:
14 Sep 2022 10:43
I won't lead a separate ride from the BH to the hill climb.
I am sorry George, I wanted to join your ride up to the Race (hence me using that hilly route of yours) it was never my intention to make you give up yours.
I guess a gathering at Waseley might have suited some not as mile-hungry as us!

George

Post by George » 15 Sep 2022 09:48

CeGi wrote:
14 Sep 2022 23:32
I am sorry George, I wanted to join your ride up to the Race (hence me using that hilly route of yours) it was never my intention to make you give up yours.
I guess a gathering at Waseley might have suited some not as mile-hungry as us!
Cedric, there's nothing to apologise for. I wanted to encourage/facilitate the attendance of less race-minded members and get a large, mixed group at the café afterwards. And that's exactly what's happening... all without me having the trouble of riding in to B'ham first. So I am entirely content with this outcome. See you Sunday.