Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 28th and 29th of January

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 28th and 29th of January

Post by WorcsPhil » 23 Jan 2023 10:56

WEEKLY UPDATE:

Ever wondered what 'cancel culture' is? You hear a lot about it, I often wonder who I should cancel, but the true meaning was found last weekend when ALL of our Beacon club runs were cancelled in a very cultural way. Yes, we had ooddles of ice again, and the only people riding were those with knobbly tyres and 'Weird Fish' baggy shorts, or those who went out at 2pm for an hour around the block. Well done if you went out, otherwise it was a Zwift-fest around Watopia for most.

The cross season is coming to an end, and one of the last events was at Misterton on Sunday...where's that, I hear you cry? It's near Lutterworth so quit a trek for the cross guys. Young Matt Russell competed again in the frost, but not the best day for Matt as his chain popped off twice and he ended up crossing the line by running over it. I blame his support team!! Shoddy work...you wouldn't get van Aert suffering this, he has a replacement bike around every corner...better luck next time, Matt. Ade Ravenscroft was also spotted there, riding in the afternoon when mud replaced the frost. Great work, both.

Talking about Ade (don't we most weeks?), don't forget his Wednesday academy rides in Moseley (5:30pm)...we need more youngsters competing like Matt every week, so get your sports-loving child over there for some fun practice. Details as per last week.

If you were leading a ride last weekend, then why not suggest the same for this weekend, the weather looks better and it's likely you'll get a bumper turn-out... It's also the Reliability Ride season, with rides planned by Worcester St John's this coming Sunday and Bromsgrove Olympic and Droitwich CC in the following weeks. They're a great blast around the countryside, followed by coffee and cakes at the HQ, so check them out...

Finally, in this cold spell, people are making lots of plans for the summer to compensate for the lack of cycling, some of the Beacon randonneur plans are, quite frankly, silly, but reflect doing a bit more this year than last year (what's the point of making it easier, eh?), with a one-day 460kms ride to Llandudno and back and a 915kms 3-day tour of Wales in the planning stages...there is also Alan Weaver's YHA trip just before the late May bank holiday... I believe that there are still one or two spots available on that, so get yourself on the list, more details on the MB and on Fb)

Hope your narrow-tyred bikes see the light of day this week!

Phil