Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 4th and 5th of February

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 4th and 5th of February

Post by WorcsPhil » 30 Jan 2023 09:48

WEEKLY UPDATE:

The week's hat tipping goes to Roger Green. It was great to meet him and George Barker at Bishampton cafe on Sunday, out on the tandem as Roger is blind and relies on people like George and Si Woodward to go out with him... Roger is 80 years old this coming weekend and he's still going strong. Not only did he ride Friday, Saturday and Sunday over 60kms each day, he's entered the Snowdrop Audax in 4 weeks time, and is planning another ride on his 80th. He's a great example to us all, and I know that there are other Beacon members older and still active, and will regard Roger as a fallow youth still wet behind the ears, but it was wonderful to meet him and chat the morning away. Top kudos, Roger!

Thanks to the ride leaders at the weekend, namely Richard Greer for the trip to Bishampton, Simon Woodward to Warwick, Cedric for Saturday's ride and Paul Balfe on Sunday, so we had a full set of rides this week, which is great to see.

A couple of news items. First, we have decided to dis-continue with Beacon Intro Rides. That sounds negative, but really it isn't as the BC Guided rides that are led by Mick Stanford, Cedric and Richard Chaplin are in effect Intro Rides with a wider recruitment base... as such, it is likely that these BC Led rides will happen every week from now on. It could be that more Beacon BC ride leaders may be required than the three we currently have. So if you're keen to get involved and attend one of the ride leader courses so that you can lead an official BC Guided rides, please let us know.

The second bit of good news is that Simon Woodward has volunteered to set up a TT Series of rides for 2023. Hooray for Woody! It goes to show if you want something done, then ask a busy person...not only were his volunteering efforts on LEL praised to the rooftops, he leads rides, time keeps elsewhere and has now stepped up to organise a series of time trials for Beacon. He has some ideas of his own on where, when and what they'll look like so I'll let him publicise these soon... but if you see him, pat him on the back, buy him a cider and offer him a cigar!

...and as we enter February this coming week, it's your last chance to enter the Sunrise/Snowdrop Audax due to take place on Saturday 25th February! We already have 250 entrants, and these rides will close soon for new entries, but there's still a few regular Beacon riders who don't seem to have entered. I'll expect a letter from your mother on my desk at 9am next week if you haven't entered, and forgetting your PE kit is not an acceptable excuse, you can ride it in your pants instead! <@>

Too much in this day and age? I'll tone it down next week... :D

Have a good week

Phil

George

Re: Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 4th and 5th of February

Post by George » 30 Jan 2023 10:41

Thanks, Phil.

Btw, everyone: Roger is looking to recruit at least one more tandem partner, because one or two of his regulars will be less available in the period ahead. So, if anyone fancies giving it a go, please say, and I'll put you in touch with him. Here are few bits of info to help you make up your mind:

Tandeming: different, not daunting
Riding tandem, even with a young sighted stoker, takes a bit of getting used to. It can feel scarily wobbly first time out. However, it's the sort of thing that more or less any competent cyclist can master with a couple of practice rides.

Challenges, not insurmountable hurdles
Riding tandem with an elderly, blind man has one or two extra challenges: there is the occasional moment of poor coordination, and Roger's obviously not as strong as he once was. Again, however, these are not insurmountable issues. Good communication and route planning will get you around most potential problems, and you must simply accept going much slower than you would on a solo bike, especially up hill.

Roger provides the wheels!
Roger has a bespoke tandem, which is well maintained for him by Northfield Cycles. The saddle can be adjusted to suit all but extreme outliers in adult male leg length.

Roger can provide the route
Roger's happy to go where you fancy going. However, if you're not keen on route planning, he'll direct you. Yes, you read that right: the blind man sitting on the back will tell you which way to go.

No big time commitment needed
Roger has a 'team' of tandem partners. He doesn't expect anyone to take him out every week. I myself ride with him roughly once every four to six weeks. Some others ride with him more often, some less often. Any extra contributions to fill gaps in his calendar are welcome.

Practical tips and advice available
Roger's current tandem partners include two Beaconites: me and Si Woodward. Dave Cox used to ride with him regularly as well, and a few others have experience. These people are happy to give tips and advice. Anyone considering volunteering is also welcome to ride solo with me and Roger one time to see first hand how we do it.

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 30 Jan 2023 17:49

Hi George,

might be tempted to give it a try. Not necessarily this week as there might be too many things going on for Roger, but why not in the following weeks.
Hopefully George might enjoy some new company and I trust he has lots of interesting stories to tell.
I must admit I am a bit apprehensive of the responsibility and am impressed of his faith in total strangers taking the lead.
But why not be bold and see how it goes. Weather permitting, I'd be OK giving it a try on whatever flattest (and not too long) route Roger can think of next week (or whenever his calendar need someone).

Am I right to guess the starting point would be at Roger's, ie Cofton Hacket?

Also a bit of a silly detail, what's about the pedals on his tandem? Normal flat pedals or some quick release?

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 30 Jan 2023 18:16

Ced I am sure you will enjoy it. Roger's tandem has spd pedals as standard.

George

Post by George » 30 Jan 2023 21:19

Thanks for the interest, Ced. Dave has answered your questions, I think.

I'll talk to Roger and ask him how he'd like to proceed, then get back to you. However, I know he won't be riding next weekend, because that's when he's celebrating his birthday with his family. So no worries on that score.

One thing that does cross my mind: riding the tandem does involve more upper body effort than riding a solo bike. Is your wrist problem likely to be an issue in that context?

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 31 Jan 2023 10:38

George wrote:
30 Jan 2023 21:19
One thing that does cross my mind: riding the tandem does involve more upper body effort than riding a solo bike. Is your wrist problem likely to be an issue in that context?
I dunno George. My nerve problem on the bike seems to be due to pressure in the joints when resting on the handle-bars. So actually pulling on the arms might not affect it as seems quite different, the opposite of pushing. Best way would be to try and see.
George wrote:
He has indeed but I am still not sure. Has he got SPD-SL the road type

or SPD-MTB the dual-sided Mountain bike version?

I am not a hardcore racer like most and my cycling shoes are all SPD-MTB (I prefer to be able to walk freely in a café even if I have to lose a bit of efficiency on the bike). I hoped Roger's bike had flat pedal (possibly with cages) but I fear he has the SPD-SL as if I remember correctly that's what you have George, no? Would have worked with my cycling shoes or standard trainers. But if he has SPD-SL that looks a bit problematic. Not sure changing the pedals at every ride is a very wise thing.
George wrote:

I'll talk to Roger and ask him how he'd like to proceed, then get back to you. However, I know he won't be riding next weekend, because that's when he's celebrating his birthday with his family. So no worries on that score.
No problem, I knew he'd be busy right now. My offer was more middle term. But let's try to see these pedals first.

George

Post by George » 31 Jan 2023 13:03

Roger's bike has MTB-style SPDs, Ced, like your second picture. Anyone who uses something else can bring their own pedals and swap them before riding; it only takes a couple of minutes. We'll talk on Sunday, shall we?