Sunday 26th Feb, British Cycling Guided Ride to Earlswood Lakes, 30 miles at D ride pace. 9:15am depart.

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

CeGi

Sunday 26th Feb, British Cycling Guided Ride to Earlswood Lakes, 30 miles at D ride pace. 9:15am depart.

Post by CeGi » 20 Feb 2023 17:34

This coming Sunday it will be my turn to lead the weekly British Cycling Guided Ride to Earlswood Lakes.
There will be a stop at 15 miles at Espresso Farm Cafe, in Umberslade Farm Park.
9:15 start from The Black Horse.
Route is https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41693757

This is a perfect ride for riders wishing to try out the club or if you just fancy a nice steady, relaxed and chatty ride out.
Pace should be between 11 and 13mph but will be to the slowest rider, no one is left behind. The group will stay together so you will be looked after throughout.

you can refer someone interested to the event page on Lets Ride below:
https://www.letsride.co.uk/rides/beacon ... akes-cojnd
or if from the BRCC and not Snowdropping Saturday, just reply to this thread as usual (Beacon members welcome, not just external newbies)

Paul Balfe (L2)
Nick Bridge
Les Clarke
Ced G (L)
Colin Hall
Michael Stanford
David Tipton
Kevan Williams

NB1: Please note that due to medical reasons I use a handle-bar extender, a bit like TT-bars. I use this to relief the pain of NHS diagnosed trapped nerves in my wrists and elbows. I do NOT use these to ride like a TT racer, to draft behind others or similar performance seeking stunts.
Every bike ride, be it commute, ride alone or in group, entails its share of risks (bad road surface, motorised traffic, natural elements, our or other riders' mistakes or inattentions...). This is common knowledge and we all ride at our own risk. Nevertheless if my use of this extender, despite sanctioned by the BRCC committee, makes you feel uncomfortable, please do not join my rides.

NB2: Please also note that due to a combination of overloaded bike, love handles and betablockers, I am slow going uphill. Do not expect Alps climbing performance from me. So do not be surprised if you'll probably all overtake me during climbs. We'll regroup at the top and carry on from there.
Last edited by CeGi on 25 Feb 2023 20:47, edited 2 times in total.

bikercolin

Re: Sunday 26th Feb, British Cycling Guided Ride to Earlswood Lakes, 30 miles at D ride pace. 9:15am depart.

Post by bikercolin » 24 Feb 2023 14:16

Pur me in please

Tippers53

Re: Sunday 26th Feb, British Cycling Guided Ride to Earlswood Lakes, 30 miles at D ride pace. 9:15am depart.

Post by Tippers53 » 25 Feb 2023 19:32

I fancy a nice chatty ride out. Room for one more? Only caveat is if I finish later than I should tonight at work. I might not make it. Thanks Dave.

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 25 Feb 2023 20:43

Tippers53 wrote:
25 Feb 2023 19:32
I fancy a nice chatty ride out. Room for one more? Only caveat is if I finish later than I should tonight at work. I might not make it. Thanks Dave.
There's always room for one more. The more the merrier (well, within reason of course).
Don't work too hard, life's too short, come and ride with us :D

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 26 Feb 2023 20:00

Nice BC ride with a mix of new blood and old faces:
Paul Balfe (L2)
Nick Bridge
Les Clarke
Ced G (L)
Colin Hall
Michael Stanford
David Tipton
Kevan Williams
Andy Wrightson

George

Post by George » 26 Feb 2023 21:05

Well done all. What proportion of the ride participants are usually new(ish) to organised cycling?

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 27 Feb 2023 19:01

Not sure George,
What I know is last time I had 1 newby vs 4 Beaconers, so with 3 newby vs 4 beaconers this time it feels like a real improvement. But not very statistically significant.
Best ask Michael who's got much more experience.
I trust with winter slowly giving way to spring we're likely to have more 'newby' coming out.