Club run etiquette

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

George

Club run etiquette

Post by George » 14 May 2023 17:14

I was talking briefly to a couple of the old hands today, who had observed a couple of things that I had also noticed recently. Against that backdrop, I'd like to ask our newer club run participants to bear a couple of things in mind on future rides. This isn't meant to come across as moany or critical, certainly not of any individual(s); I do understand what it's like to be new and keen. I even vaguely remember what it's like to be young and fit. However, I feel it's part of my role as president to raise awareness of things that could be improved, with the future wellbeing of the club in mind. So here goes:
- A club run is a non-competitive, social ride. We ride as a group, and every aspect of the way we ride is designed to help us stay as a group. (We organise plenty of races and challenge rides, where you can let your competitive urges loose.)
- We ride at the pace of the slowest rider in the group. That doesn't mean repeatedly dropping them and then waiting for them; it means going at their pace.
- The ride leader sets the pace, and does so with the slowest rider in mind.
- We ride in single file or in pairs, depending on the road/traffic conditions. We don't ride like a shoal of fish.
- If you draw alongside the lead pair, thus forming a three, you are causing a split in the group behind and causing a nuisance to the leader, who is trying to set an even pace that everyone can follow.
- If, having done that, you sit up and drift at the top of the rise, you are getting in the leader's way, making it hard for him or her to set a steady pace, and causing (potentially dangerous) bunching in the group as it catches up.
- Sometimes, it's clear that a ride leader is flagging and needs a hand (they've been doing 20% more work, after all). In that situation, it's fine to come past and take up the pace-setting. However, be careful not to increase the pace once you're on the front (easily done unintentionally when you've been sitting in and you're fresh). And don't come past at a point where doing so is likely to cause a split (e.g. half way up a hill). Do it on the flat, and do it gradually, then gradually move in, giving opportunity for the group to reform behind.
Thanks, everyone!

David Cole

Re: Club run etiquette

Post by David Cole » 15 May 2023 12:27

Very good advice George as a leader it's very difficult to keep to the pace of the slowest rider if you have riders behind trying to increase the pace
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club