Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 20 and 21st of May

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 20 and 21st of May

Post by WorcsPhil » 16 May 2023 16:30

WEEKLY UPDATE:

Bit late this week, but no matter. First things first, take a look at the timely reminder of club run etiquette from George Barker on the message board...it's full of common sense and again, if we all rode to these simple ideals and looked out for each other, we would have perfect club runs every time...but we're not far off this utopian vision... just look at the excellent set of club runs last weekend, we had Nick Shenton on a flat and fast A-run, Stuart Jones leading a hilly and still fast B-run, George Barker leading a textbook C-run with a few navigational wobbles that we all have from time to time, Paul Balfe leading the BC Guided Ride / D-run, and Cedric's long C-run on the Saturday.

Cedric is leading a series of rides building up to a 300kms ride later in the summer, so why not explore your inner demon and join him for a few of these, you may surprise yourself on the joys of cycling into the night...it's far more rewarding that Eurovision!

As it's now May, there are also Tuesday and a hilly/shorter Thursday club bashes, and all are welcome, just sign up in advance on the message board, or even pop along at the allotted time and give it a go, give it a bash.

Great to see the audax boys riding long at the weekend, Karl Walton, Luke Hutcheson and Mick Stanford on the 425kms Moors and Wolds Audax on Saturday, where unfortunately Mick had to abandon some 250kms into the ride with stomach/nutrition issues, but Karl and Luke both completed their rides well into the wee small hours, but a similar nutritional fate befell John Williams and Andy Wrightson on their 600kms audax on the weekend, prompting a long debate on the right nutrition strategy for such events...the jury is still out!

...with a nod of our fedora to another brilliant TT ride from Ed Moss at the weekend, and young Matt Russell's ongoing racing adventures, the weekly kudos this week goes to Helen Colson and Simon Woodward, who are both solo touring, with Helen on her multi-week Islands and highlands tour of the west coast of the UK sees her in Oban as we speak, and Simon riding from Santander in northern Spain (not the branch of Santander on Northfield High Street - I checked) to Ventoux in the south of France...he is currently in the Pyrenees in cold and wet weather!! which is the ying to his ultra-hot yang of Portugal a fortnight ago...

Superb riding both, many of us are following your adventures with great interest...don't forget, if you're riding big, or unusual, or photogenically, let me know, I can only get insights from a quick scour of strava or facebook, so don't shout at me if I don't mention your tour round the Wetherspoons of Gloucestershire or your Everesting attempt in Norfolk!

With a nice week ahead, get your club runs down, and great to see both the C and D-rides heading out to the cyclists service in Meriden on Sunday...top work.

Phil