Weekly club news roundup + club run info for the weekend of 10-11 June

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

George

Weekly club news roundup + club run info for the weekend of 10-11 June

Post by George » 06 Jun 2023 12:21

We're getting to that time of year when Beacon members start ranging beyond the rolling lanes of the Midlands. One such is our tireless Chairman, Philippo Bianchi, who's away ascending on a Quest for Celeste. So it falls to me to pen this week's roundup.

Also off on their travels are Karl Walton and John Williams, who are happily JoGLE-ing together as I write. Meanwhile, Simon Woodward is newly returned from lugging his own bodyweight in camping gear along the length of the Pyrenees and back. Okay, says Helen Colson, I'll see your kilos of luggage, your bivvying, your endless daily distances and your mountains, and I'll raise you Atlantic storms, muddy tracks and unreliable railways. Claire Dignon's been at it as well, relatively close to home for once (North Wales isn't far for Claire). Claire's never content to simply ride her laden bike over impossibly difficult terrain day after day. As she goes, she also provides her friends with a sort of personalised episode of Wild Isles with added bicycle art. Alan Weaver is, of course, a frail old pensioner these days. He therefore contents himself with riding up to the Peak District and back every so often.

So take inspiration, everyone! A bike is a passport to adventure, and the best of the summer still lies ahead. Get out there and get riding! And do check out the announcements on the message board: people are regularly posting suggestions for excursions in the weeks ahead. Alan is planning another YHA trip, and a visit to the Gaydon Transport Museum is on the cards, for example.

Beaconites have been busy racing as well. Last Tuesday was our club 20-mile Handicap Championship. Ed Moss once again stormed around to the record the fastest absolute time. But the event is of course all about how you perform in relative terms, and it was therefore Richard Kings who deservedly got his name on the trophy this year. Beacon club TTs are accessible, friendly events on relatively low-traffic roads, with the emphasis on simply having a go and enjoying yourself. Check out the full programme on the website or message board.

Our Academy has a big event coming up as well: we're hosting the BSCA National Grass Track Championships this year. Take a look at Ade Ravenscroft's post on the message board. If you've got kids, grass track racing is a great way to get them involved. If you're not a parent or your offspring are past school age, why not volunteer to help, or just pop along to Moseley School on 8 July to give the youngsters some encouragement. They're the future of our sport, after all.

Last weekend's sunny weather tempted lots of people out on our club runs. We sent A, B, C and D groups out in all directions, with a total of 28 participants. The coming weekend's club run programme is shaping up nicely, with a BC Guided Ride/Intro Ride and a Saturday C ride already planned. Rumour has it that John Hitchcock may be leading a B run on Sunday as well. People interested in doing something faster or slower are encouraged to post on the message board and get the ball rolling.

Tuesday and Thursday evening rides are also going ahead this week. As always, check out the message board for details.

Well, on Sunday, John H told me that if you've got a reputation for something, you should run with it. So hopefully he'll be very pleased to read my tardy, over-wordy substitute for the Chairman's weekly offering. Happy pedalling, everyone!