Sunday 6th Aug. C paced 200k to Burton on Trent. 8:00am departure

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

CeGi

Sunday 6th Aug. C paced 200k to Burton on Trent. 8:00am departure

Post by CeGi » 03 Aug 2023 18:54

Thursday evening and still no ride for the week-end apart from the BC guided D ride.
Had hoped to piggy back on a shorter 70 to 80 miles C ride for a rest, but looks like I am going to have to motivate myself alone. Might as well go crazy again then 🤪. Here comes another 200k 🤩.
Had enjoyed my last few rides in western Leicestershire so will be heading that way again.
Route will be: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43916302
Globally flat apart from a small uphill stretch on the return half
Average speed target: 14 mph

🍰🥪🍕🍦☕-wise :
there will 3 short food stops :
1) 48.2km (30m) at 'the pavilion café' in Tamworth park
2) 80.8km (50m) at the Zen Community café take away in Burton with savouring it on one of the many benches in front of the war memorial (lots of caf in Burton but many close on Sunday and I am not a fan of big chain like Costa, Tim Horton's...)
3) 151km (94m) at the Coop in Meriden, there again, using the benches in front of another memorial to give our legs a few minutes respite while we give our stomachs a welcome refuelling.
Bringing your stock of snack bars and jelly babies is neverthless a wise move if your internal combustion engine requires more frequent top-up.

Any volunteer for that epic ride, let's meet at the BH @8:00 :shock: for departure as soon as all there.
Return back in Northfield likely to be around {insert length of string here} depending on speed and length of stops so don't plan anything else in your afternoon. If you really twist my arm, I'd guess it would be around 18:00-18:30

Please note that the way to Tamworth is a bit direct (if circling all around Brum via the usual Meriden route, the ride would be overall too long) meaning urban roads.
Please also note that there are my usual sinuous wanderings at the start and at the end (and route being used by Naomi for a DIY audax, I will not alter it).
Please finally note that there might be areas where we have to use bigger roads because I deliberately preferred not to use canal path due to slower speed and sometimes challenging surface or due to few quieter countryside alternatives.
If any of this is likely to displease you, do not join, lead your own.

Naomi Bell
Ced G (L)

NB1: Please note that due to medical reasons I use a handle-bar extender, a bit like TT-bars. I use this to relief the pain of NHS diagnosed trapped nerves in my wrists and elbows. I do NOT use these to ride like a TT racer, to draft behind others or similar performance seeking stunts.
Every bike ride, be it commute, ride alone or in group, entails its share of risks (bad road surface, motorised traffic, natural elements, our or other riders' mistakes or inattentions...). This is common knowledge and we all ride at our own risk. Nevertheless if my use of this extender, despite sanctioned by the BRCC committee, makes you feel uncomfortable, please do not join my rides.

NB2: Please also note that due to a combination of overloaded tool bag and betablockers, I am slow going uphill. Do not expect Alps climbing performance from me. So do not be surprised if you'll probably all overtake me during climbs. We'll regroup at the top and carry on from there.

Looking for a café for a stop in one of your ride? Why not use Mark's Magic Map to select a cyclist vetted place close to your route?.

CeGi

Re: Sunday 6th Aug. C paced 200k to Burton on Trent. 8:00am departure

Post by CeGi » 07 Aug 2023 11:29

Ended up just Naomi and I but had a great time.