Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 19th and 20th of August

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 19th and 20th of August

Post by WorcsPhil » 14 Aug 2023 10:33

WEEKLY UPDATE:

Well, what a week that was... a week of cycling events and high achievements, and I'm not talking about the World Championships in Scotland. I feel giddy and might even ask Paul Johnson to dress top to toe in pink and come with me to see 'Barbie'!

First off, massive congrats goes to Michelle and Chris Thompson for completing LEJOG last Wednesday, and I do believe that Paul Balfe and Rob Parker are en route over the same journey as we speak. Godspeed to you! Huge kudos goes to John Williams and Nick Shenton who rode a 600kms DIY Audax last Thursday/Friday... This was only John's fifth 300kms day in the last two weeks, but represented Nick's longest ride ever...so well done both! Then it was Dr Whiteman's Friday Ferlix on, errr, Friday, a mountainous 200kms audax o'er hill and dale which saw, Simon Woodward, Helen Colson, Karl Walton and Vince Tennant don Beacon colours and ride the route in fine weather. Excellent work. Sunday saw another 100mile club run, which changed into a 200kms ride for a couple of guys, namely Mick Stanford and making his debut at the distance, Dan Spooner...but if all these people will forgive me, top billing this week goers to Stuart White, who, although new to time trialling, rode the National 12-hour Time Trial on Sunday, and blasted out over 403kms (250.3miles), at an average of 20.3mph...This is a wonderful first attempt at the distance, and it seems only a matter of time before Stu challenges Rod Goodfellows' remarkable 12-hour record from 56 years ago (yes, 56 years ago!!!), when he rode an amazing 262miles in 12 hours... so Rod, please take a bow also!

It was also the club 2-up time trial last Tuesday, and it was good to see a few newbies having a go, but next year, you should all give it a go...it's great fun and even better when you sneak a victory against your great rivals, hehe

Club run attendance seems to fallen off a little over the summer, but here's hoping we have a full set of runs next week. I will lead next week's A-Ride and Mariana has volunteered to lead next week's C-Ride, so let's have a B-ride leader step forward quickly please, as there will also be a Guided Ride, and possibly a separate D-Ride...You have one task, dear readers, SIGN UP...I will only accept excuses if they are on a note written by your Great Grandparents in arabic...

So what's happening this week...as well as the normal Tuesday and Thursday rides, Yes, it's the National Grasstracks scheduled for next Saturday, at the third time of asking...and with the weather set fair, please have a look at the details elsewhere on the MB and Facebook and go along to help or watch...it'll be a good day.

That's enough for one week, and if Paul does go to the cinema, I'll post the pictures here :D

Keep cheery

Phil

deero83

Re: Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 19th and 20th of August

Post by deero83 » 15 Aug 2023 14:05

Hi Phil

I’ll lead a B run on Sunday.

Destination TBC - will add a separate post