SATURDAY 9th Sept. 7:00am start. C pace 200k/124 miles to Buckingham (shorter 100k option too)

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

CeGi

SATURDAY 9th Sept. 7:00am start. C pace 200k/124 miles to Buckingham (shorter 100k option too)

Post by CeGi » 20 Aug 2023 22:16

Will lead a long 200k ride on a Saturday 9th for the usual reason of café / shops staying open much later than on Sundays.

Route will be pretty flat :
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39356301
Average speed target: 14 mph (or a tad less if some start to get out of steam at some point)

There will be a proper coffee stop in Buckingham and probably a quick shop stop halfway on the way there and halfway on the way back.
Bringing your stock of snack bars and jelly babies is neverthless a wise move if your internal combustion engine requires more frequent top-up.
Please make sure you have plenty of fluid (2 bottles advised) and SOME SUNSCREAM

Any volunteer for a 'gentle' 200k be it your first or not, meet at the BH. With the forecast for the week-end remaining hot I finally opt for the earlier start @7:00 :shock: to get one more cool hour. Departure as soon as all there.
Return back in Northfield likely to be around 18:00 but time back might be a bit later. Will play by ear, the main target is making sure we can make it back whilst having fun. Do not plan anything for the rest of your Saturday anyway. We might possibly ease the pace a bit to prevent overheating and will deffo do a few pub/shop stops for hydration and cooling as we did last year on other 200k:

Naomi Bell
Ian Gannon (to Wellesbourne and back, so 100km shorter ride if others are tempted too)
Ced G
David Tipton

NB1: Please note that due to medical reasons I use a handle-bar extender, a bit like TT-bars. I use this to relief the pain of NHS diagnosed trapped nerves in my wrists and elbows. I do NOT use these to ride like a TT racer, to draft behind others or similar performance seeking stunts.
Every bike ride, be it commute, ride alone or in group, entails its share of risks (bad road surface, motorised traffic, natural elements, our or other riders' mistakes or inattentions...). This is common knowledge and we all ride at our own risk. Nevertheless if my use of this extender, despite sanctioned by the BRCC committee, makes you feel uncomfortable, please do not join my rides.

NB2: Please also note that due to a combination of overloaded tool bag and betablockers, I am slow going uphill. Do not expect Alps climbing performance from me. So do not be surprised if you'll probably all overtake me during climbs. We'll regroup at the top and carry on from there.

Looking for a café for a stop in one of your ride? Why not use Mark's Magic Map to select a cyclist vetted place close to your route?.
Last edited by CeGi on 07 Sep 2023 18:07, edited 10 times in total.

Naomi B

Re: SATURDAY 9th Sept. 8:00am. C pace 200k/124 miles to Buckingham

Post by Naomi B » 01 Sep 2023 22:03

Please put my name down 😊

Tippers53

Post by Tippers53 » 02 Sep 2023 11:25

I’m in for my first 200km. Be gentle.😉

CeGi

Post by CeGi » 02 Sep 2023 19:00

Tippers53 wrote:
02 Sep 2023 11:25
I’m in for my first 200km. Be gentle.😉
Of course we'll be gentle with you Dave.
The secret for entering the long distance world is to start easy and resist the wish to push even if you feel super fit in order to make sure you last the distance. This ride is yours so we'll adjust the pace if necessary to make sure it's a success (you'll be bored of me asking you how you feel). Being a little group will greatly help too

Kay

Re: SATURDAY 9th Sept. 7:00am start. C pace 200k/124 miles to Buckingham (shorter 100k option too)

Post by Kay » 09 Sep 2023 15:31

What a fantastic day with some amazing people!
Merci!
Tres Bien!

CeGi

Re: SATURDAY 9th Sept. 7:00am start. C pace 200k/124 miles to Buckingham (shorter 100k option too)

Post by CeGi » 09 Sep 2023 22:29

Naomi Bell
Kay Davies (to Buchingham and back by car to avoid the afternoon heat, maybe the wisest decision of the day!)
Ian Gannon (to Wellesbourne with the group and back solo)
Ced G
David Tipton

A great day out despite the heat. We paced it nice and slow to start with and then got visiting pretty much every pub and shop on the way back to cool down regularly and drink drink drink. This allowed us to make it back successfully without heatstroke.
Special Kudos to Dave for his first 200k, an impressive achievement on a sizzling day like today.
Next target 300k next year? ;-)