SATURDAY 16th Sept. 8:00am start. Slow C pace, hilly, 200k/124 miles ride to Hereford and Ledbury

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

CeGi

SATURDAY 16th Sept. 8:00am start. Slow C pace, hilly, 200k/124 miles ride to Hereford and Ledbury

Post by CeGi » 11 Sep 2023 22:06

With another nice week-end forecasted, just a bit cooler, it sounds like the perfect opportunity to indulge into another long 200k ride on Saturday 16th (for the usual reason of café / shops staying open much later than on Sundays). Cold, rain, darkness, indoor confinement and trainers will be back soon enough so let's make the most of the nice days.

Last few time I went to Herefordshire I liked the landscapes a lot (but the route profile not necessarily as much). I might regret my choice of route but nevermind, YOLO. Route will be pretty hilly :
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44297359 ... OHnZv1QTsy
so average speed more likely to be 13 mph than my usual 14mph (but could be even a bit lower if I underestimated the challenge of the route profile)

There will be a proper coffee/food stop in Hereford and probably a quick shop stop halfway on the way there and possibly several quick stops on the way back. Bringing your stock of snack bars and jelly babies is neverthless a wise move if your internal combustion engine requires more frequent top-up.

Any volunteer meet me at the BH for @8:00. Departure as soon as all there.

Ced G

NB1: Please note that due to medical reasons I use a handle-bar extender, a bit like TT-bars. I use this to relief the pain of NHS diagnosed trapped nerves in my wrists and elbows. I do NOT use these to ride like a TT racer, to draft behind others or similar performance seeking stunts.
Every bike ride, be it commute, ride alone or in group, entails its share of risks (bad road surface, motorised traffic, natural elements, our or other riders' mistakes or inattentions...). This is common knowledge and we all ride at our own risk. Nevertheless if my use of this extender, despite sanctioned by the BRCC committee, makes you feel uncomfortable, please do not join my rides.

NB2: Please also note that due to a combination of overloaded tool bag and betablockers, I am slow going uphill. Do not expect Alps climbing performance from me. So do not be surprised if you'll probably all overtake me during climbs. We'll regroup at the top and carry on from there.

Looking for a café for a stop in one of your ride? Why not use Mark's Magic Map to select a cyclist vetted place close to your route?.
Last edited by CeGi on 15 Sep 2023 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

Ansel Ng

Re: SATURDAY 16th Sept. 7:00am start. Slow C pace, hilly, 200k/124 miles ride to Hereford and Ledbury

Post by Ansel Ng » 12 Sep 2023 11:15

Sign me up please. Would be the last ride before 1 week break up for a new season.

CeGi

Re: SATURDAY 16th Sept. 8:00am start. Slow C pace, hilly, 200k/124 miles ride to Hereford and Ledbury

Post by CeGi » 17 Sep 2023 13:19

No last minute participants joined so ended up just Ansel and I on this one.

May have been wiser after all as :
- Ansel spent a lot of time conforting me in my view as to why I'll never go tubeless
- Ansel spent even more time waiting for me at the top of hills as this ride turned out my second ever with most elevation (I think I am ready for the Kidderminster Killer now)
- the weather was misty all morning and drizzly all afternoon
Yet we had a great time

Ansel had two bouts of flats issues and I had more than my share of climbs for one day (felt like a Kidderminster Killer appetizer), my second ever hilliest ride.Despite this, the fact it stayed misty all day with drizzle during most of the second half and a couple of routing surprises it turned out a great day out for my tenth 200k this year thanks to great company

Hereford cathedral:

The sun remained shy all day thus mist not lifting, even had several episodes of light rain. Landscapes would have been stunning otherwise

Ledbury: