Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 18th/19th of November

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 18th/19th of November

Post by WorcsPhil » 13 Nov 2023 09:59

WEEKLY UPDATE:

Well, the leaders of all the club runs turned up this weekend, but there were very few follows of these cycling gods to ride with them...it's almost as if it was cold and rainy on Sunday and people decided to stay in bed, or as Strava shows, use such things as indoor bikes, with clever apps simulating the pedalling of a bicycle...even myself, I dusted off my ancient non-smart turbo and rigged the latest ASUS computer up in front of it and simply cycled whilst watching an episode of 'Better Call Saul'...there you go, a snippet into the secret world of my Sunday mornings... indoor cycling never lasts as long as outdoor cycling (one episode for me) though, so the upside of rain is that gives you brownie points with your partner as you make up the time with crossing off three items on your DIY list that has been stagnant since last February :D

Anyway, thanks again to the leaders who all showed up, namely Stuart Jones, Phil Gameson, Simon Woodward, Mick Stanford and possibly Paul Balfe, whom I'm not sure did. Lovely picture of Messrs Stanford and Andy and Isacc Wrightson, with the sub-one year old Isaac, completely encased in waterproof fabric on his trailer, probably sighing to himself and saying 'why couldn't I have had a normal grandad? I could be at home in the warm watching Peppa Pig'

So what's happening this weekend...ooh, it's the Beacon awards night on Saturday evening at King's Norton Golf Club...I do hope you bought your ticket as it's more mingling, less rabbit this year, so a great excuse to chat to people you may never have seen in normal clothes before. Hope to see you there...

Finally, I'm contractually obliged to plead once again for helpers at the Beacon Cross event on Sunday 26th November at Walsall Arboretum...it's a big day of cross racing, but we could always do with extra helpers...even if you can only help for an hour or two, that would be priceless in giving some of the other volunteers a break, rather than expecting them to work from dawn to dusk...so please check your diaries and let us know.

Oh, we hope you enjoyed the new look Beacon Bulletin that crashed into your email addresses last week (check your junk mail if you didn't receive anything)...it's feisty, it's fresh, and a great way of getting our stories out to every member, so if you have anything to post, even reporting on a brilliant day's cycling you've just had, we'd be happy to receive it and publicise it more widely...we expect loads of your stories in 2024!

That's it for this week, see you at the dinner...I'm the ginger twonk with a microphone from time to time, so remember you owe me that pint that you've been promising me for months....

Phil