Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 10th and 11th of February

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Weekly Club Update and Club runs for the weekend of 10th and 11th of February

Post by WorcsPhil » 05 Feb 2024 11:58

WEEKLY UPDATE:

Everybody seemed to be riding a bike at the weekend...we had 30+ riders out on club runs on Sunday and had TEN people, yes, ten people riding a 200k audax on Saturday with seven on Mark Rigby's excellent Tewkesbury audax and three riders heading out to Lake Vrynwy just for the hell of it. All great rides, but kudos of the week goes to Pete Warwick, who finished his epic 25-day 'Ride the whole length of New Zealand' on Saturday. His tour was mostly off-road, and started at the top of the North Island, finishing at the southern tip of the South Island and looked fantastic, with endless photographs of the kiwi wilderness in lovely warm sunshine...we're not envious at all!! Hats off to Helen Colson also, who seems to be battling extreme heat down in southern Argentina on her Andean ride...keep going, Helen!

Thanks as always to the leaders of the club runs, Stuart Jones, Matt Hale, Mariana Sorrill and Mick Stanford... All of these leaders are route managers on the new RidewithGps Club Account, and it was good to get 20+ people dial in last week to see and hear what it was all about as well as some club run leader fundamentals...I will post the document that summarised all this very shortly and please take a look at it when it pops up on Facebook.

Although club rider etiquette was not the focus of that chat, it's clear that poor rider etiquette still bothers a fair few of us, so we'll continue to post snippets of good practice as well as encouraging all people to take a look at the GCN YouTube video posted in the document from last week... This is a great 9-min summary of tips to good group riding, so take a look at it!

so what's happening this week, well the Sunrise/Snowdrop Audaxes are NOW CLOSED. We've reached over 300 riders, which is just brilliant and I have most of the volunteer posts filled also, I could just do with a couple of car park people to assist with the mayhem of 200 cars all arriving in one 30minute period... if no volunteers make themselves known, I'll have to ask some Snowdroppers to assist!

Finally, as you know we are struggling to get many racers racing, so Adrian R. has organised a 'Racing Social' at the British Oak in Stirchley at 18:30 this coming Friday (9th Feb),,, this is for ANYONE with any interest in racing on the road, on cross events or anything, so why not go along and have a beer and see what advice is out there.

Weather looks to be going cold again this week, so keep safe out in the wild and woolly countryside....

Phil