Stepping up from Intro to "C", "D" run?

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

John D

Stepping up from Intro to "C", "D" run?

Post by John D » 09 Apr 2014 13:36

I enjoyed the recent "big big intro ride" and had no hesitation in joining Beacon. Thanks to all of the members for looking after a mixed ability group.

The next logical step for me is to join a "C" ride as soon as family commitments allow. However as someone who is only recently re connecting with cycling I am hoping that the step from intro to "C" is not too far. I am sure that many "new" members will have had similar concerns and thought I would create a thread to just to get a little feedback with respect to members ability prior to a "C" run and their experience, and also a point of reference for other prospective members.

Conversation with one of the members on the intro ride was that a "D" run may have been on the calendar (however it is not) which would be perfect to better judge the fitness/ability requirements to progress to "C" without the fear of failure. From an exchange of emails I understand that "D" runs have previously been organised and whilst I appreciate that this requires additional leaders and support, there may also be a little demand from existing members and not just "newbies" wishing to measure their own ability. 1 a month or every 2 months or just once a quarter as a suggestion.

Hope I'm not being too controversial for my first post or revisiting old ground.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 09 Apr 2014 19:09

I don't believe we've ever had a D run but before there was a weekly C run there used to be one a month which were somewhere between intro and the current C.

If you're comfortable with the prospect of a 40-50 mile ride (and your bike is also up to it) I wouldn't worry. Just give it a go, maybe pick one to a relatively nearby destination, if you find you're struggling more than everyone else someone will look after you.

On my first few rides, to ensure I was self-sufficient I used to print off a map of the general area of the ride just in case. I only had to use it once when the Thursday retirees left me behind.

If there's any demand, I'll lead one or two gentle rides on a Wednesday evening from May onwards. They'd be 25-30 miles without a cafe stop and they're likely to finish near the foot of Weatheroak Hill. Light's would be required if you wished to re-hydrate with the local CTC before heading home.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 09 Apr 2014 20:28

There is a certain logic in having a 'D' run to bridge between Intro and 'C' - the problem, as always, would be finding enough volunteers to lead it.

We still haven't got anyone to lead the 'C' run this Sunday, by the way.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 09 Apr 2014 21:45

I've been having similar concerns myself. I was also on the 'big big intro ride' (which I really enjoyed btw) and have been keeping an eye out to see where the C run is going this Sunday. The intro ride was good as it took everyone's ability into consideration, but it was a little bit slow. I'm trying to gauge the step up to C too!
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 09 Apr 2014 23:17

As a guide, I reckon if you've done a solo ride of 40 miles averaging about 12mph you'll be fine on a C run. Just ride in the middle of the group not at the back.

John D

Post by John D » 10 Apr 2014 08:15

Cake stop, thanks for the advice, furthest so far solo non stop is 36 @ 14.5mph so with better pacing I would like to think it would be within my ability range then. A shared midweek ride would be far more enjoyable than my usual training loop, hope others might wish to join aswell

Helen, if you are available this weekend, perhaps we could provide some mutual moral support?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 10 Apr 2014 08:36

Providing four or more people sign-up in advance, I will willingly lead a D Run on Sunday, 27th April. Starting from the Black Horse with a destination of either Cutnall Green or Whit Lenge Garden Centre.

An additional 'established' Beacon rider would also be appreciated.

George

Post by George » 10 Apr 2014 09:11

Philip Whiteman wrote:Providing four or more people sign-up in advance, I will willingly lead a D Run on Sunday, 27th April.
Phil, that's the day of the LMTT.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 10 Apr 2014 10:46

Okay, I shall leave someone to decide whether I am required at the LMTT or should be made available for a 'new riders' D Run. Unfortunately, this is the only available date I can offer.
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 10 Apr 2014 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

George

Post by George » 10 Apr 2014 11:22

Phil, I suppose I'm a bit old school, and this is only one individual's personal opinion, but I rather like the idea of LMTT day being a 'special day'. The tradition of no runs on LMTT day is largely to help the event organiser with recruiting marshals etc. But it's also partly 'emotional': for that one day we all focus on the LMTT and nothing else. It helps maintain the prestige of the event -- a bit like the Cup Final and league games. If you're not needed to marshal, would it be too far to lead a D run to Holt Heath, to give the competitors a shout, maybe setting off at 8am?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 10 Apr 2014 11:24

George, I am quite happy to go where directed. To date, I have not received any request for help at the LMTT but I am available.

Given the clear demand for a D run for our new cohort, somebody else will need to stand up to the fore and offer an alternative date. Unfortunately, my other April/May dates are either committed to patting Tiny Thomas on the head, leading the 100 or 8 hilly club run or participating in audaxes.

John D

Post by John D » 10 Apr 2014 17:44

Phil, happy to put my name down for the 27th. If it means an early start as per George's suggestion, that would be fine for me

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 10 Apr 2014 18:50

Philip Whiteman wrote:George, I am quite happy to go where directed. To date, I have not received any request for help at the LMTT but I am available.
ahem ...

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/message_boa ... php?t=6358

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 10 Apr 2014 19:49

John D wrote:Cake stop, thanks for the advice, furthest so far solo non stop is 36 @ 14.5mph so with better pacing I would like to think it would be within my ability range then. A shared midweek ride would be far more enjoyable than my usual training loop....
John - you won't get into any trouble on a C run unless you mention training loops in which case you'll be banished to the B run.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 10 Apr 2014 20:05

John - if a volunteer has been found to lead it (and it's not too hilly!) I'm up for giving the C run a go this Sunday.

I haven't got a solo distance I can compare to though as apart from my suicidal/great fun commute down the Hagley road, I haven't had the bike long enough to really go out by myself. Somehow I don't think solo mtb ride distances and times translate across! 😁

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 10 Apr 2014 20:07

John - if a volunteer has been found to lead it (and it's not too hilly!) I'm up for giving the C run a go this Sunday.

I haven't got a solo distance I can compare to though as apart from my suicidal/great fun commute down the Hagley road, I haven't had the bike long enough to really go out by myself. Somehow I don't think solo mtb ride distances and times translate across! 😁

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 10 Apr 2014 20:34

Just for information: next week's Easter Egg C run to Spetchley Gardens will be about 50 miles round trip with no major hills apart from the climb up into Brum at the end.

John D

Post by John D » 10 Apr 2014 22:52

CakeStop wrote:
John D wrote:Cake stop, thanks for the advice, furthest so far solo non stop is 36 @ 14.5mph so with better pacing I would like to think it would be within my ability range then. A shared midweek ride would be far more enjoyable than my usual training loop....
John - you won't get into any trouble on a C run unless you mention training loops in which case you'll be banished to the B run.
Cake stop, thanks for the heads up, mums the word in the future ;;-)

John D

Post by John D » 10 Apr 2014 22:59

Hels147 wrote:John - if a volunteer has been found to lead it (and it's not too hilly!) I'm up for giving the C run a go this Sunday.

Excellent, not sure what happens if a leader doesn't come forward though :?:

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 10 Apr 2014 23:18

I'll be available to lead a C run on Sunday if needed

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 12 Apr 2014 15:28

Darn it! I'm in the dales over Easter, so won't be able to make that one.

Looks like Dave has stepped up to volunteer tomorrow. Thanks Dave.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 15 Apr 2014 09:16

I have only just read this thread, having been away for a week. I will lead a D run of 40 miles @ 10 -12 mph on Sunday 20th April and will post the destination later

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 15 Apr 2014 17:05

Thanks Dave. Helen and John Deeley did just fine on last Sunday's ride to Lavender Hall so well suited to the usual C run.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 16 Apr 2014 21:00

Thanks Dave (cox). I can't come for a few weeks now, but I enjoyed last Sunday and look forward to joining another C run soon.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 16 Apr 2014 21:01

Thanks Dave (cox). I can't come for a few weeks now, but I enjoyed last Sunday and look forward to joining another C run soon.