Alternative Club Run - 5th April

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

Nicks_77

Alternative Club Run - 5th April

Post by Nicks_77 » 24 Mar 2015 22:31

Alternative club run 5th April - If anyone is still interested in doing this then please express your interest below. I have plotted a route for the day however this may well be tweaked over the next few days. The route will head out from Leek in Staffordshire and take in the climb from Bosley near Macclesfield up to the Cat & Fiddle, we will then descend the Cat into Macclesfield and head out towards Prestbury and Alderley Edge where the route will take in 4 local sectors of Pave including Swiss HIll (20%) max gradient. If you don't feel up to doing Swiss Hill there is a normal Tarmac road that runs parallel. The intention will be to have a cafe stop in Alderley Edge then make the return journey back to Leek. Total distance is approximately 55 miles but may be slightly revised.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7280098

Club run points will be awarded and all are welcome.

This will be a club run and NOT a race,therefore the pace will be kept within the limits of all abilities who attend. Should people be quicker on the long climb up Dumbers then we will arrange a meeting point at the summit and wait for fellow riders before continuing the journey.

Further details to follow on the exact meet up point and start time.

neilo

Post by neilo » 27 Mar 2015 20:16

Sounds good Nic I'm in, any ideas on the start time?

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 29 Mar 2015 18:06

I've reviewed the route for next Sunday's alternative club ride up in Staffs and will leave it as is for now.

If the weather is good on the day and people attending want to add some extra miles onto the route I can do this on the day.

The plan is to meet up in Leek at around 8:30 on the Council owned car park on the High Street which is located just off St Edwards Street.

I'm aiming to set off at 9am prompt. The usual cafe stop will take place in Alderley Edge at the Costa coffee on the high street after our ascent of Swiss Hill (I don't want anyone seeing their coffee and cake again).

We will then head back to Leek via the main roads but should anyone feel they want a few more miles in the legs I'm happy to extend the ride en-route back.

Hopefully the weather will be kind but in the event its looking awful, I will cancel the ride for another time.

As far as getting there is concerned don't be shy and ask around for a lift. I appreciate it's a fair way to travel but it's a change of scene and club run points will be given.

Hope to see as many of you as possible next Sunday!

John

Post by John » 30 Mar 2015 12:39

Can possibly give a lift to someone. Can't make any promises at this stage as I might be heading from Lincolnshire not Kings Norton.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 01 Apr 2015 12:21

Sundays' weather forecast for Leek is currently mostly dry with some sunshine.

It will be a chilly start especially at the summit of the Cat & Fiddle climb so take a gilet/jacket for the descent.

[/img]

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 05 Apr 2015 23:09

Massive thanks to all who turned up for today's alternative club run from Leek in Staffordshire for the Flanders inspired route I'd devised.

I hope you all enjoyed the route, scenery and company along the way, I know I had a blast. Thanks to those who gave people lifts up to Staffs, everything worked out pretty smoothly and the food at the cafe in Alderley Edge was top notch.

I shall be working on the next excursion soon and post up dates thereafter.

On today's Ronde Van Alderley Edge alternative club run were:-

Nick Shenton (L)
Toby Draper
Neil Orchard
Matt Clegg
Stuart White
Andy Clayton
John Hunt
Alistair Hey
Francis Longworth (V Sprint)

andrew clayton

Post by andrew clayton » 06 Apr 2015 07:53

Nick, absolutely brilliant day out with everyone, lovely social ride, super route and the weather...perfect. Very much looking forward to the next installment.

John

Post by John » 06 Apr 2015 16:35

Best club run I've been on Nick! Simply wonderful day out!