Club Runs - 5th July

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

Beacon RCC

Club Runs - 5th July

Post by Beacon RCC » 30 Jun 2015 20:51

A: Winchcombe - Phil Richards. (8.15 start)
B: Spetchley - George Barker
C: Cobhouse Fisheries - David Cole

Intro: Cutnall Green / Whitlenge - Bob Green
Last edited by Beacon RCC on 05 Jul 2015 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 30 Jun 2015 23:45

Please note that the A-Run to Winchcombe will leave at 08:15 (meet at 8am). This is because it is 43 miles to the café, and 43 miles back, so a sprightly run for early July and for day 2 of the TdF. The route is attached below...café is the Lady Jane Tea rooms in Winchcombe:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5745840

Be great if both climbers and non-climbers come along, as although the route goes via Bushcombe Lane and Sudeley Bank (the two spikes in the middle), which our very own Lord Whiteman of Drayton described as "a terror and horror"' respectively when this route was ridden last year, there are options to miss out on Bushcombe Lane, by either:

a. walking up, no shame in this...done this myself.
b. going up Stockwell Lane 1 km further on.
c. going up Gambles Lane 1.5kms further on, which although tough, are nowhere near the daftness of Bushcombe.

So come along and attempt it or miss it out, your call...strava tells us Beacon's fastest rider up Bushcombe is the climbing legend that is John Hunt at 6:27 (13th out of nearly 800 riders to attempt it)...some of you might want to try and beat this...for me...no chance!

Apart from those two spikes either side of the café stop, it's a pleasant flattish run into the Cotswolds.

Phil

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 01 Jul 2015 08:24

I'll do Cobhouse Fisheries Sunday 5 July C run
Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Mark Patton

Post by Mark Patton » 01 Jul 2015 12:52

WorcsPhil wrote:Please note that the A-Run to Winchcombe will leave at 08:15 (meet at 8am). This is because it is 43 miles to the café, and 43 miles back, so a sprightly run for early July and for day 2 of the TdF. The route is attached below...café is the Lady Jane Tea rooms in Winchcombe:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5745840

Be great if both climbers and non-climbers come along, as although the route goes via Bushcombe Lane and Sudeley Bank (the two spikes in the middle), which our very own Lord Whiteman of Drayton described as "a terror and horror"' respectively when this route was ridden last year, there are options to miss out on Bushcombe Lane, by either:

a. walking up, no shame in this...done this myself.
b. going up Stockwell Lane 1 km further on.
c. going up Gambles Lane 1.5kms further on, which although tough, are nowhere near the daftness of Bushcombe.

So come along and attempt it or miss it out, your call...strava tells us Beacon's fastest rider up Bushcombe is the climbing legend that is John Hunt at 6:27 (13th out of nearly 800 riders to attempt it)...some of you might want to try and beat this...for me...no chance!

Apart from those two spikes either side of the café stop, it's a pleasant flattish run into the Cotswolds.

Phil
Just looked on Strava, Johns average speed on the climb is 6.9 mph. Owch

George

Post by George » 01 Jul 2015 15:14

Spetchley Tea Rooms booked for Sunday's B run.

I'll post a route at the end of the week. I'll try not to duplicate the route used by Andy a few weeks ago any more than I have to, so that it doesn't feel too samey. My aim is to do roughly 90km (55mi). Some recent B runs have been quite tough and/or quite fast. Please note that mine will be neither; it will be undulating terrain at a steady 25-26kph (16mph). Anyone who wants a more challenging ride and/or who finds orderly group riding a little dull is politely asked to consider going with another group.

Look forward to seeing you all shortly, and let's hope we get the currently predicted dip in temperatures, but without the intermittently threatened thunder storms!

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 01 Jul 2015 15:54

WorcsPhil wrote:

Phil
I proudly prop up that list and would have been faster had I got off and pushed :D

Wouldn't want to see any of you elite A types slower than me now would we? :roll:

George

Post by George » 03 Jul 2015 12:45

Route for Sunday's B run
Direction of travel is anticlockwise.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 05 Jul 2015 15:06

On today's A-Ride to deepest Gloucestershire were:

Phil Richards (Leading)
Fenella Brown
Keith Adcock
Martin McGowan
Ian Taylor
Mark Patton
Matt Hale
Nic Vipond
Stuart White
Laurence Cooley
Toby Draper
Matt Regan

An orderly and disciplined ride down, but general mayhem on Bushcombe Lane again. John Hunt's time is safe, don't think we got near it, but hats off to Matt Regan and Mark (both on 53/39 chainrings, so extra chapeau) for being first up...points to note:

- All 12 people attempted the climb
- 9 of the 12 were observed walking for at least part of the climb, however 3 cars coming down at inopportune moments were the main cause of this perambulation outbreak.
- No one wants to do it again for a long, long time

See you in 2016 for Attempt 3....

Phil

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 05 Jul 2015 16:33

Great day out Phil, many thanks. I think it's become a classic, can't wait to do it again in at least a year's time.

Apologies for the shonky pump shenanigans at the cafe....

An 18mph average isn't bad for 90 plus miles !

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 05 Jul 2015 16:52

Second that...an enjoyable day out and a good group, cheers Phil!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 05 Jul 2015 17:06

I am really becoming fed up with people boasting about having "fun" and "enjoying" club runs. Cycling is about sacrifice, hardship and suffering. In three weeks time you can make amends by wearing a hair-shirt and entering The Kidderminster Killer on 25th July.

bobg

intro

Post by bobg » 05 Jul 2015 17:33

On todays intro ride were;

Bob Green L
Philip Whiteman. Support
Luke Garrett
Stephen Irvine
Neil Evanson
Ryan Evanson
Pauline Whittaker
Shan Williams
Susan Fitzgerald
Jonathon Morgan
Also at the café; Lisa and Thomas. Thomas travelling in a trailer behind Lisa's bike. Does this mean his first club run points ?

Big thanks to everyone for a very enjoyable ride. No problems, apologies for being woefully slow on the hills.
There is not a hill that is to steep to walk up.

George

Post by George » 05 Jul 2015 17:48

On today's B run:

George Barker (L)
George Lazenby
Gary Mackintosh
Paul Johnson
John Lay
Rob Lay
Neil Orchard
Robin Kirkham

It was for the most part the sort of club run that Phil disapproves of. However, there was an unfortunate incident with a motorcyclist near the end. I am deliberately not putting details of what happened here in the public domain, because at the present time I'm unsure whether there may be legal consequences, and I don't want there to be any possibility of accusations to the effect that those of us who witnessed/were involved in the incident subsequently influenced each other's recollection of what happened. I shall privately report my version of events to the president and obviously I'm happy to tell the police and/or insurers what I saw, if the need arises.

The foregoing will undoubtedly tickle people's curiosity/concern, so I'll just say that it was a traffic-related incident and, to the best of my knowledge, no one was seriously hurt.
Last edited by George on 05 Jul 2015 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

keith

Post by keith » 05 Jul 2015 17:54

Brilliant run today, If there is a club evil genius trophy ,then the two Phils must be neck and neck

Mark Patton

Post by Mark Patton » 05 Jul 2015 17:55

Photo taken at the top of Bushcombe Lane. Dunno what Matt is smiling about!!!!

matthew

Post by matthew » 05 Jul 2015 18:54

Great a run today phill really enjoyed it and a great group of others who rode with us.
m regan

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 05 Jul 2015 19:55

C Run to Cobhouse Fisheries
Nice ride out to the Mayfly Cafe only one shower. On the return journey when we were 3 miles from the Black Horse.

Dave Cole leader
Ellie Jenner
Sahra Derkits
Tone Crampton
Charlie Pearson
James Debuse
Pete Norman
Si Walker
Simon Turner
Steve Smith
Dave Cox
Richard Kent
Anne Hughes
Wally Lowe
Sue Pemberton
Debbie Deane
Paul Deane

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

neilo

Post by neilo » 05 Jul 2015 20:41

Thanks for leading today George, good food, good company and a great route (apart from Bristol road)

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 06 Jul 2015 12:32

49 club run riders yesterday!

Jdebuse

Post by Jdebuse » 06 Jul 2015 20:11

David Cole wrote:C Run to Cobhouse Fisheries
Nice ride out to the Mayfly Cafe only one shower. On the return journey when we were 3 miles from the Black Horse.

Dave Cole leader
Ellie Jenner
Sahra Derkits
Tone Crampton
Charlie Pearson
James Debuse
Pete Norman
Si Walker
Simon Turner
Steve Smith
Dave Cox
Richard Kent
Anne Hughes
Wally Lowe
Sue Pemberton
Debbie Deane
Paul Deane

Dave
Great route Dave. My legs died three miles from the Black Horse!!!