**NEW** CLUB RUN 16TH AUGUST

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

Philip Whiteman

**NEW** CLUB RUN 16TH AUGUST

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 Aug 2015 15:20

The Club Road Race has been cancelled. So club runs should be able to go ahead, I guess.

A/B: Upton - Philip Whiteman

C: Warwick -DaveCox

Can combine A&B if necessary. Flattish ride with no secret hills. Bring along a cafe lock if you own one.

(Apologies Andy, if I have announced a club run - guessing that most people will probably want one now)
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 16 Aug 2015 20:09, edited 3 times in total.

dweben

Post by dweben » 15 Aug 2015 18:45

Upton by Alcester...? Gonna be a shortish run then?

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 15 Aug 2015 18:56

There's the Iconoclassic show of pre1995 mountain bikes in market square Warwick according to twitter. I think I'll ride over to have a look C Run anyone?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 15 Aug 2015 20:15

Dave Cox wrote:There's the Iconoclassic show of pre1995 mountain bikes in market square Warwick according to twitter. I think I'll ride over to have a look C Run anyone?
Great idea!

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 15 Aug 2015 20:58

Either see you there or maybe pick you up on route. Which way are you going?
And pre 1995 mtb's now classic, makes my one and only mtb a classic. :D
Pity my Klien got stolen as that really was a classic, as seen on Seinfeld.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 15 Aug 2015 22:48

C Route probably Earlswood, Lowsonford, Hatton, Norton Curlieu Lane, Warwick

John D

Post by John D » 15 Aug 2015 23:24

Dave Cox wrote:C Route probably Earlswood, Lowsonford, Hatton, Norton Curlieu Lane, Warwick
Dave, always loving a bit of retro, assume standard "Sunday club run" bikes will be appropriate for the route?

Cheers

JD

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 15 Aug 2015 23:42

Dave Cox wrote:C Route probably Earlswood, Lowsonford, Hatton, Norton Curlieu Lane, Warwick
Possibly meet you there and come a bit of the way back, unless we meet along the way. We have a rather more circuitous route from Solihull
Illshaw Heath, Tanworth, Ullenhall, Danzy, Hole House Lane and Yew Tree Lane (great roads), Lowsonford, Pinley, Hampton Magna, Warwick.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 16 Aug 2015 08:12

Oh yes John I'm not riding all that way on knobblies!

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 16 Aug 2015 15:28

Emergency C Run to Warwick Iconoclassic MTB Show sun and nostalgia.
Everything from 1980s newspaper delivery MTBs to exotic and colourful race machines. Technical evolution fascinating

Dave Cox (leading)
Pete Marshall
Andy Terry on classic Trek that should have been on show!
Si Walker
Colin Hall
Dave Little (sweeper)
Kim Shapiro
John Deeley
Simon Turner

Good to meet Colin and Kim on their first Beacon club run

ballintrane

A run

Post by ballintrane » 16 Aug 2015 16:13

Thanks for a great route today Phil thought the Krypton factor assault course was a nice touch!!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Aug 2015 16:27

UPTON A/B RUN

This was a 'scratch' club run configured at the last minute following news of the cancellation of our road race.

Well that confirmed my suspicions that differences no longer exist between A & B runs. The 'A' did not compromise on speed nor were the 'B' pushing any harder than usual. Either way, it was nice group that held a good line.

The Secret Mess at Upton was used for the second time by a club run. They appeared to cope very well with the on-surge of riders all giving different orders. Reasonably priced and descent quality, so I was pleased. It was a vastly better experience and total polar opposite contrast to the Tenbury Wells Riverside Cafe incident of a few weeks ago.

As promised there were no hidden horrors planned into the route. What we could not cater for, were unplanned horrors. The returning group encountered a road closed sign, which really meant "road closed". Squeezing around construction site barriers, clambering through mud, ducking and diving around culvert, we just made it.

Paul Watkins suffered a tad of disappointment after discovering that Upton is not located in the midst of a industrial estate on the outskirts of Alcester. Nick Shenton suffered a dodgy pedal which appeared to resolve itself. We also passed over the staffed Oddingley Level Crossing which may be the last time before automation.

Philip Whiteman (L)
Keith Adcock
Nick Shenton
Paul 'are nearly there yet' Watkins
Paul Johnson
Stu White
Ben Wallis
Matt Hale
Paul Knox
Chris Thompson
Phil Richards

We also happened to bump into Tony Webb who rode with us for a short while. Tony was returning from Croome Park.
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 16 Aug 2015 16:45, edited 9 times in total.

keith

Post by keith » 16 Aug 2015 16:32

Thanks for the emergency A/B run Phil after the 'riverside incident ' a new PB in terms of cafe choice! They were surperb.
We expect climbing and therefore decending ,on your runs but the decent into the pit was new. Great stuff

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 16 Aug 2015 19:13

Philip Whiteman wrote:The returning group encountered a road closed sign, which really meant "road closed".
Are Keith and Matt stuck in the concrete?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 16 Aug 2015 20:53

Dave Cox wrote:Andy Terry on classic Trek that should have been on show!
Good excuse to reacquaint myself with an old friend, the Trek. Enjoyed it so much that when I left the group (after stopping to chat to an old work colleague) I rode all the way up the Stratford canal from Edstone to Lifford Junction, and then back home down the Worcester Canal. My flattest ride ever, I think.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 16 Aug 2015 20:54

Philip Whiteman wrote:... descent quality ...
i.e. really heavy?

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 16 Aug 2015 21:10

Great ride as always Phil, I was only this afternoon complementing you on your route mapping prowess to Mr Richards.

It was pleasantly surprising not to be going up some brutal hills for a change.

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 16 Aug 2015 22:19

Cheers Phil, good ride today - I think you might have tipped off the cafe about the consequences of slow service and any potential repeat business...much quicker than the riverside cafe!

Laurence... there's absolutely no way of climbing over a brick arch culvert in cleats and looking good at the same time :lol: