Club Runs - general

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club Runs - general

Post by WorcsPhil » 07 Dec 2015 10:54

Hi,

I have taken on the role as Club Runs Secretary, which is basically to ensure that the message board and club run scores are maintained and communicated to members appropriately.

Being a bit of a statto, I'm happy to do the role, and have had some discussions about what people want and whether any changes are due. Ultimately though, however you change our formula, you'll only please 37% of people, and so it probably best to leave things as they are.

However, I'm happy to introduce new things, new venues, new 300km club runs (surely not!) so get your ideas onto the message board or PM me, but it is still best for people to know that they can turn up at 9am at the Black Horse and there will be a club run that is appropriate for them.

So my only call at this stage is that old chestnut...to encourage volunteers for Leaders. This doesn't have to be an onerous responsibility, and all you'll need to do as a minimum is:

- Volunteer on the message board
- Pick a cafe
- Turn up
- Ride on the front for a certain time (others are happy to help)
- Take names
- Tell people to single out occasionally on busy roads.

Non-leaders only have the responsibility of turning up and respecting the ride, and not rush off the front continually. So, this concept of club run leader is not beyond any of us.

I'd love 2016 to be the time when leaders are booked in advance, and that they are NOT always white males...we are a diverse club and we should prove this in our club run leadership.

Er, that's it...enjoy your Sunday rides and in my experience they are a grand day out...I've been to other club's Sunday rides, and it's a lot more hit and miss, with venues and leaders being decided on the day, leading to people being dropped and forgotten, or just 'random' riding searching for a petrol station.

Let's keep our club runs a good reason to be in Beacon RCC.

Merry Christmas...is that too early?

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 07 Dec 2015 14:13

Congratulations on your new role Phil.

I'm keen on arranging some more alternative club rides throughout 2016. The ones I've done previously have proved successful and a welcome change for those who have come along.

I would like to see some more faces out on these rides and was hoping that this could be promoted.

I'm not wanting to poach away entire Sunday club runs but offer an occasional ride somewhere different throughout the year.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 07 Dec 2015 15:17

Well done Tim, thanks for taking this on.
Eat cake before you're hungry

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 07 Dec 2015 15:24

Thanks Nick...

I support your fine efforts to arrange these rides, and I'm happy to encourage you - as you always offer an open invite and it's good to wear the colours in other parts of the country, usually, some godforsaken moor high up in the Staffordshire hills.

As long as I'm not sacked by the Committee, I'm happy to award club points for these open invitation rides elsewhere (in fact yours also start at a Black Horse I believe!) However, I may be breaking the law by doing this...

Philip Whiteman

Re: Club Runs - general

Post by Philip Whiteman » 07 Dec 2015 16:11

WorcsPhil wrote:
So my only call at this stage is that old chestnut...to encourage volunteers for Leaders.
Phil has promised to be not to be too harsh in his recruitment methods for new leaders. He will only send two of the boys around.

caashford

Post by caashford » 14 Dec 2015 17:38

Congrats on the new role Phil!

I would be up for leading some new routes next year (post London Marathon). There are plenty that can be "borrowed" from some of the other local clubs who tend to upload on various websites, so that could be an option? With shorter rides completed by these clubs more towards Solihull and heading East it could open up some new destinations?

I am hoping in the 2nd half of 2016 I will be riding more and maybe an opportunity to complete some local audaxes and sportives as alternative club runs? Is it worth picking a few popular ones and targeting these for more club riders to participate in with plenty of notice given?

I am also keen to do the Montgomery Madness as my first 300k, maybe on the Sunday weekend nearest the longest day in 2016?

I do unfortunately fall into that "white male" category, but don't hold it against me... ;-)

keith

Post by keith » 14 Dec 2015 18:03

caashford wrote:Congrats on the new role Phil!

I am also keen to do the Montgomery Madness as my first 300k, maybe on the Sunday weekend nearest the longest day in 2016?

I do unfortunately fall into that "white male" category, but don't hold it against me... ;-)
If you do 300k on the Monty Chris then I'm afraid you might be lost as it has been 200k when I've done it