Club runs - 17th January

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 17th January

Post by WorcsPhil » 11 Jan 2016 17:13

After last week's amazing turnout of 47 club riders, this week's outings are below, with details of cafes no doubt being finalised as the weekend weather becomes known

Update: Ice will probably prevent club runs this week, except for the very brave or reckless. Be careful out there.

A: Likely no leader
B: Likely no leader
C: Likely no leader

Don't forget to get your names down on the other thread to lead future rides, and look out for another post (it's a belter!) from me on club run issues later this week
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 18 Jan 2016 16:04, edited 3 times in total.

deero83

Post by deero83 » 12 Jan 2016 11:09

As long as I can get rid of my current ManFlu, I am planning on taking the B run to Cob House Fisheries (assuming it's open during winter?)

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 12 Jan 2016 16:59

deero83 wrote:As long as I can get rid of my current ManFlu, I am planning on taking the B run to Cob House Fisheries (assuming it's open during winter?)
It's always open. :D

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 13 Jan 2016 17:49

With sub-zero temperatures looking likely this weekend I'll postpone my lead to Lavender Hall until 7th February. If the forecast changes for the better I'm still happy to do 17th Jan but only if ice free.

There are no agreeable safe routes to Lavender Hall if it's icy and while I'll probably be out on studded tyres I wouldn't be prepared to lead a group including riders with standard tyres.
Eat cake before you're hungry

deero83

Post by deero83 » 14 Jan 2016 12:34

Ditto here on the ice front really.

I don't have the luxury of studded tyres so will see what the forecast is like nearer Sunday. Not looking good at present; the forecast is currently -3C, so I imagine the lanes might well be dodgy, especially in shaded parts.

Philip Whiteman

MTB Ride in the Wyre Forest

Post by Philip Whiteman » 14 Jan 2016 13:29

The forecast is for icy conditions. Understandably, some leaders have already indicated that they are not prepared to lead runs in such conditions.

I am happy to lead an MTB trundle around the Wyre Forest on Sunday departing at 10am. Nothing too serious and not necessarily far, just a leg stretch and an excuse to cycle to a cafe for a good coffee. There will be an inevitable stop at the Forest Cafe.

Possible route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11807684

Start Point: there are two car parks at Button Oak. I suggest the one at the very top of the hill (the second on the LH side after leaving Button Oak village). If the car park is full, space can be found in other entrances nearby. If necessary, my number is 07969 079242 http://tinyurl.com/zq8q8xf]

It is likely to happen but I will post here first at 8am on Sunday morning. The decision will based upon whether it is icy or not.
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 14 Jan 2016 16:31, edited 12 times in total.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 14 Jan 2016 13:38

CakeStop wrote:With sub-zero temperatures looking likely this weekend I'll postpone my lead to Lavender Hall until 7th February. If the forecast changes for the better I'm still happy to do 17th Jan but only if ice free.

There are no agreeable safe routes to Lavender Hall if it's icy and while I'll probably be out on studded tyres I wouldn't be prepared to lead a group including riders with standard tyres.
I shall be out on the off road clunk and may pop into Lavender Hall for brunch, also avoiding groups in icy conditions, so may see you there. They are okay about turning up covered in mud as I have done so a few times :D

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 14 Jan 2016 16:24

Yes, I agree. I was waiting to see what the weather held for us, but I will also NOT be there on Sunday barring a massively incorrect forecast. It may not be a bad idea to go MTB'ing this weekend....or garage-staring of course.

Philip Whiteman

Re: MTB Ride in the Wyre Forest

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 Jan 2016 07:06

Now snowing in Drayton. I will be off on the MTB for the pootle starting from Button Oak upper car park at 10am. (see above message)

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 17 Jan 2016 08:35

Not as bad as forecast, just a light covering of snow which doesn't look frozen but with a bit of snow in the air and temperature of 0C at the airport I'll err on the safe side and postpone the Lavender Hall C ride until 7th Feb.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 17 Jan 2016 12:30

After all that we'd have been fine. In hindsight I should have gone to the Black Horse and offered anybody that was there a 30 mile ride stopping at the Stables, that would have been enough.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 17 Jan 2016 16:09

I went out on my MTB with snow and ice tyres but didn't find any ice. The chunky tyres were slow but reassuring on the gravel and mucky lanes!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 Jan 2016 18:00

Paul Watkins, me and George Lazenby ventured out in the Wyre Forest today as our enjoyable substitute for a club run. The Wyre Forest was boggier than usual! At the end of the ride, it was difficult to identify fellow riders due to the caked mud covering bikes and all.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=57391EAA

dweben

Post by dweben » 17 Jan 2016 18:35

Oh I dunno, in that picture you're pretty distinctive with your cod piece and knee high ugg boots...

... did I say I wouldn't mention that moment when you thought you had forgotten your helmet? Guess where it was people!!

Great day out though, always good to see Beaconites on MTBs! :)