Let's behave ourselves, eh?

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Let's behave ourselves, eh?

Post by WorcsPhil » 22 Mar 2016 11:35

Every few months, we get wind of an unruly club run (mercifully, they are rare). Last year, we had one B-run that was a bit of a free-for-all, and I read on Strava and by following up with one or two people that Sunday's C-run may have been similar.

We are always indebted to club run leaders for volunteering to lead, so it's common courtesy to give them respect and follow club run guidelines (which are here on this message board and on the wider Beacon website).

I am deducing on Sunday that on the C-run...

- the pace was being pushed hard by non-leaders
- the leader was passed regularly
- the leader was actually dropped
- there was a lack of communication when riders dropped off the back...i.e. no call of "off the back"

We plead again for riders to respect these guidelines...so that our club runs are appreciated by all who ride them, and we don't put off potential leaders of the future.

If you insist in riding faster than the leader, join the faster groups, some people have done this recently and hopefully enjoyed the challenge.

Let's behave ourselves, eh...

(hint: Club run leaders, if people go off the front regularly, let them get 100m, then turn off onto an alternative route, let them self-navigate!...oops, did I type that out loud)
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 29 Mar 2016 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Mar 2016 12:13

If in doubt, see the Club Run Guidelines

WorcsPhil wrote: (hint: Club run leaders, if people go off the front regularly, let them get 100m, then turn off onto an alternative route, let them self-navigate!...oops, did I type that out loud)
Also, it is a good idea for leaders NOT to publish their exact route on GPS.

As suggested above, I happily take unexpected turns onto alternative routes to rid the group of any miscreants that repeatedly cause the group to fracture.
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 22 Mar 2016 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 22 Mar 2016 13:55

... and the bit about distances and average speeds

John D

Post by John D » 23 Mar 2016 10:22

Phil, wouldn't wish to create the impression that Sundays c run was a free for all or completely ill disciplined but fair to say we had a cumulation of minor issues (and not all necessarily rider related) that occurred which made it a little more challenging. I'll leave it at that.

That said, a good and timely opportunity for everybody to remind themselves of the club run guidelines.

John D

Post by John D » 23 Mar 2016 10:37

Philip Whiteman wrote:If in doubt, see the Club Run Guidelines

WorcsPhil wrote: (hint: Club run leaders, if people go off the front regularly, let them get 100m, then turn off onto an alternative route, let them self-navigate!...oops, did I type that out loud)
Also, it is a good idea for leaders NOT to publish their exact route on GPS.

As suggested above, I happily take unexpected turns onto alternative routes to rid the group of any miscreants that repeatedly cause the group to fracture.

I'm undecided on this one, I've had comments from others that they like seeing the route in advance and find it helpful. Also, I had a minor issue on Sunday that led us slightly off route (on reviewing the course in detail I can now see why) but I had the comfort that Si Walker had the route in his Garmin in case mine went into meltdown. I'd also posted it in advance so Andy Terry could see our route if he was able to join us.
Unfortunately my knowledge of ad hoc alternative routes is still in its infancy but agree that a potential downside is as you suggest.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 24 Mar 2016 08:42

I sometimes post a route, always with the warning that it is subject to change both because I will vary the route according to how the riders are doing, the weather conditions and sometimes purely on a whim because I spot a nice looking road I fancy.
I do warn riders that I may turn off the route and whilst I would always wait for those behind at turns won't do anything about anyone who goes ahead.
The last couple of C runs I have done have been very disciplined and when a rider found it a little too much we dealt with it supportively without delaying the whole group. I would hope people aren't put off by the occasional issues that get posted here, with reference's to being dropped etc as I am pretty sure the vast majority are pretty happy.

Colin G

Post by Colin G » 24 Mar 2016 11:04

C runs are often the first experience of group riding, and the Beacon, that new riders get. However inexperienced doesn't necessarily mean incapable. I agree that it should stick to a formula but I would prefer to educate any unruly riders rather than stitch them up by turning off and leaving them lost or having to make their own way back. This isn't something I would advocate at all. If they rode off the front and happened to lose the group thereafter then so be it. The great thing about the Beacon (and the C run) is how inclusive it is.

I really enjoy taking the C runs and look forward doing a few more this year. In my experience they're attended by friendly groups, and riders work together and look out for each other as the miles wear us down.

keith

Post by keith » 24 Mar 2016 11:34

It's not the bloke that goes of the front that's the problem it happens occasionally . No its the person or persons that follow .There is a tipping point of about 3 after this everybody chases . I don't think it matters if the route is published or not .I have no experience of C runs but I have seen it on both A and B runs . I think it should be mentioned but without the need for high horses as it's hard enough to get new people to lead as it is .

Colin G

Post by Colin G » 24 Mar 2016 12:06

Thankfully C runners generally don't form echelons or chase breakaways. There's usually a happy apathy that settles over the group if someone rides away on a hill.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 24 Mar 2016 15:53

Colin G wrote:Thankfully C runners generally don't form echelons or chase breakaways. There's usually a happy apathy that settles over the group if someone rides away on a hill.
Where's the like button?
:D

andrew clayton

Post by andrew clayton » 28 Mar 2016 08:50

Happy Apathy... I like that.