Club runs - 3rd April

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 3rd April

Post by WorcsPhil » 29 Mar 2016 09:46

As we move into April, I sense that people will start volunteering to lead rides more, do you sense that also?

It's Tour of Flanders this Sunday, so the Pave king, Nick Shenton has an interesting ride to Ludlow to celebrate. Nick's a trusted leader and will keep to B-run pace, so join him. There are several A-riders on the Cambrian Audax this weekend, so unlikely to be a big turn out for an A-ride...hopefully, they will return with a vengeance when the Phil's lead in the following two weeks (?)

...and despite my 'let's behave ourselves' message, the C-run is always very popular, so go along with the 'happy apathy' sentiments. This week's rides are:

A: Wyre Forest - Phil Gameson
B: Ludlow - Nick Shenton (08:15 start...meet at BH at 8am)
C: Wellesbourne Airfield - Andy Wrightson

Intro ride: Helen Jamieson (L), John Deeley in support - Wedges Cafe in Earlswood
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 04 Apr 2016 10:59, edited 4 times in total.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 29 Mar 2016 16:50

Thanks for the big up Phil.

Yes indeed this Sunday's B Run is to Ludlow. Please be warned this will be a very hilly route on the outward leg and a little more rolling back home.

Heading out via Chaddesley Corbett, Stourport & Clows Top, returning via Cleehill, Cleobury Mortimer & Bewdley.

The route is Approx 90 miles Black Horse to Black Horse with an elevation gain of around 4800ft.

This will serve as a good early season leg tester and act as training for those of us mad enough to be thinking about the 300km Club Run in May.

I propose an 8:15 start - the current weather forecast for Sunday is 13 degrees with an odd shower.

Should the weather turn out to be poor then I will most likely choose another destination.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 29 Mar 2016 17:16

Sounds good, Nick....

Talking this over with a honourable member recently, it would be great if we can counterbalance these longer B-runs with some shorter, less speedy ones to encourage some faster C-riders to step up to the B-run, and B riders to the A-run from time to time. Colin Groves led by example recently and no doubt George's imminent B-run will be textbook...but be good to get some faster C-riders to throw their hat into the ring to lead B-runs at least monthly.

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 30 Mar 2016 19:06

On behalf of Andy Wrightson, he will lead the C ride on Sunday to Wellsbourne airfield
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 31 Mar 2016 16:36

I went to Wellesbourne today arriving at lunch time. Service was very slow because kitchen was overloaded and then my scrambled eggs were cold. Although I walked up to the counter on arrival I think the main problem was holidays sunshine and lots of families come to see the planes! Might be worth going for cakes if it looks slow on Sunday

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 31 Mar 2016 16:41

Or here http://www.the-coffee-stop.co.uk/ worth it for the Breakfast Baguette. :lol:

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 31 Mar 2016 22:31

Si_Walker wrote:On behalf of Andy Wrightson, he will lead the C ride on Sunday to Wellsbourne airfield
Using the route you put on Strava, Si?

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 01 Apr 2016 11:43

Andy Terry wrote:
Si_Walker wrote:On behalf of Andy Wrightson, he will lead the C ride on Sunday to Wellsbourne airfield
No! that was one I have pinched from Dave Cox's epic ride on Thursday for me to perhaps rise later and is much longer than Andy's which is about 55 miles.

Here is the link to Andy Wrightson's route

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8347971

If there are lots of riders then it may be better to divert to Charlecote or take a cafe lock as bike security at Wellbourne is not great.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 01 Apr 2016 12:44

Si_Walker wrote:
Andy Terry wrote:
No! that was one I have pinched from Dave Cox's epic ride on Thursday for me to perhaps rise later and is much longer than Andy's which is about 55 miles.
Phew! I thought the super-sized rides had spread down to the C run.

PhilG

A Run

Post by PhilG » 02 Apr 2016 11:04

In the absence of other volunteers and in the spirit of "stepping up", I am willing to lead the A run to Wyre Forest.

The route (about 55 miles) is pretty hilly on the way out, less so on the way back. There is one section of poor road, but taken steadily should be OK for all - and it comes just before the steepest climb of the day.

The route will be http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Be ... yre-Forest or something pretty similar. [The plotted route has an unnecessary trip along the dual carriageway and back between Day House Bank and Belbroughton.]
Phil Gameson

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 02 Apr 2016 11:17

Ludlow Route - Update

Tomorrow's weather currently looks ok, however if this dramatically changes or it's looking bad in the morning I'll make a decision on whether to go to Ludlow or somewhere closer like Wyre Forest.

Please be aware that we will be riding for around 47 miles before the cafe stop in Ludlow, so fill up your pockets with bananas, energy bars for the outward journey.

John D

Post by John D » 02 Apr 2016 17:24

Tomorrows intro ride will be approx 50km and will be heading to Wedges bakery at Earlswood going via Weatheroak, Tanworth in Arden, Packwood and Hockley Heath. Shorter return leg Via Earlswood.

Weather forecast looking fine till early afternoon, is it going to be "shorts" weather at last?

JD

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Apr 2016 18:43

Nick, hopefully I will join you en-route to Chaddesley. If I am not there, don't stop!

Tim

Post by Tim » 02 Apr 2016 21:09

A chap called Ben may join one of the rides in the morning. He messaged the Academy FB page. Cheers
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 03 Apr 2016 14:05

A Run to Wyre Forest Visitor Centre was a select few (for a few moments I thought it was only going to be two of us).

Phil Gameson (Leader)
Paul Wilkins - thanks for your work at the front for much of the time
Ade Ravenscroft
Ben, visiting from (flat) Bedfordshire

It is a while since I did an A Run, but I would have said the pace was a little bit quicker than a fast B run.
Phil Gameson

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 03 Apr 2016 14:54

Another fantastic turnout for an early ride over to the lovely Ludlow this morning.

On today's hilly route were:

Nick Shenton (L)
Neil Orchard
Neil Lynch
Alistair Hey
Nathan Cardo
Vince Tenant
Claire Fudge
Andy Cole
James Tate
Ryan Staite
Jeff Field

Thanks all for the company and great banter & good riding.

dweben

Post by dweben » 03 Apr 2016 15:39

Cheers for the late A run call there Phil, was a good quick ride given the lumpy stuff!

Only a slight mechanical with Ade's rear brake being a bit 'loose' :D

AdeR

Post by AdeR » 03 Apr 2016 16:05

Thanks for the patience with the mechanical :-) Great ride. Thanks Phil.
Some things actually DO happen that are not on Strava

John D

Post by John D » 03 Apr 2016 16:28

A steady intro ride and great company.

One spur of the moment newcomer who coped fine and hope to see you again soon Sophie. Special mention to Huan for managing to finish his Baguette, chapeau!!

Today's riders were

Helen Jamieson (leader and fkw1)
Neil Evanson
Huan Dong
Sophie Aitchison
John Deeley (support and fkw2)

I will forward Sophie's email address to Phil

JD

Simmo

Post by Simmo » 03 Apr 2016 16:32

On behalf of Andy Wrightson

On today's C run to Wellsbourne Airfield were
Andy Wrightson - leader
Nathan Burton- first club run
Mark Russell
Ryan Evanson
Dennis Snape
Simon Turner
Dave Little - tail gunner
Andy Terry - met on route
George Barker - met at the cafe
Great route good company

neilo

B run

Post by neilo » 03 Apr 2016 18:25

Lovely route today nic thanks for leading, good cafe stop as well.

Fenella

Post by Fenella » 03 Apr 2016 19:01

Thanks for leading the B run today Nick. Great route and good to go somewhere different.
(Bit hilly for me though so I turned off to Tenbury and went the 'flat' way home !)