Club runs - 17th April

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 17th April

Post by WorcsPhil » 11 Apr 2016 08:34

A decent turn-out at the weekend (and I promise my next club run will be flat with no hills at all!). Good to see some first-timers out and others stepping up to B-runs, hope you enjoyed the experience.

With the hope that we do get a warm Sunday sometime soon, we have an early full set of leaders this week. They are:

A: 100 in 7.75 to Carding Mill Valley (Church Stretton) - Phil Whiteman 0915 start
B: Spetchley - George Barker
C: Blooms Café (Worcester) - David Cole
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 18 Apr 2016 09:19, edited 2 times in total.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 Apr 2016 15:59

100 in 7-75

Departure: 0815.

A club run to a new and scenic destination. We do not ride up The Burway!

With the 300km Beacon Brecons club run only a few weeks away, this ride will assist your mileating preparations for the that ride. It will be at A run pace but not at full pelt.

Out: Shatterford, Highley, Morville, Cardington. Carding Mill Valley
Return: Dittons Prior, Stottesdon, Bewdley, Chaddesley.

Facebook image: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

George

Post by George » 12 Apr 2016 13:15

I dropped by at Spetchley to make sure that they are happy to receive us on Sunday. They are, but the café has changed hands/operators over the winter. As always seems to happen in such circumstances, they have gone a bit posh. Menus on blackboards, fancy coffee and little bits of salad with your sarnies. You know the kind of thing. And, needless to say, a hike in prices. Coffee + salmon sandwich cost about £7.50.

There was an excellent array of cakes and cold sandwiches, plus various paninis and cooked breakfast options. Bacon sarnies and beans on toast are not on the standard menu, but they are willing to put such things on as a special if we give them a couple of days' notice.

I have already planned a route to this destination, the food is very nice, the café is very nice and, at the end of the day, the prices are similar to what we pay in several other places and only maybe £2.50 more than the very cheapest places we visit.

Therefore, unless I hear some strong objections in the next 48 hours, I will stick with the planned destination.

George

Post by George » 12 Apr 2016 14:04

Unless a lot of people grumble about the new café set-up (see above), Sunday's B run will go to Spetchley, travelling anticlockwise around the following route:

- View/download route

The route is 89km (55 miles). It's rolling terrain with a few bumps, but no serious climbing. We'll be using lanes most of the way. The intensity of the riding will be as even as I can make it; I prefer not to push on the hills or dawdle between them. The speed will depend on the weather and my consequent choice of bike. If it's nice, we might average 26kph (roughly 16mph), but if it's wet or windy you can expect less – maybe about 24kph (15mph). The current forecast is for a seasonally typical mix of sunshine and showers and, if it stays that way, I'm likely to be going with the mudguards.

I hope that we can ride as a compact, disciplined group. Newcomers and people looking to step up from the C run are welcome, assuming that you've looked at the route info and are confident about it.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 16 Apr 2016 08:12

With the prospect of overnight freezing temperatures, the start time for the 100 in 7.75 is now postponed to 09.15

keith

Post by keith » 16 Apr 2016 21:49

George wrote:I dropped by at Spetchley to make sure that they are happy to receive us on Sunday. They are, but the café has changed hands/operators over the winter. As always seems to happen in such circumstances, they have gone a bit posh. Menus on blackboards, fancy coffee and little bits of salad with your sarnies. You know the kind of thing. And, needless to say, a hike in prices. Coffee + salmon sandwich cost about £7.50.

There was an excellent array of cakes and cold sandwiches, plus various paninis and cooked breakfast options. Bacon sarnies and beans on toast are not on the standard menu, but they are willing to put such things on as a special if we give them a couple of days' notice.

I have already planned a route to this destination, the food is very nice, the café is very nice and, at the end of the day, the prices are similar to what we pay in several other places and only maybe £2.50 more than the very cheapest places we visit.

Therefore, unless I hear some strong objections in the next 48 hours, I will stick with the planned destination.

Beacon protocol that ....person in a couple of hundred quid of lycra Un clips 300 quid Garmin but leaves 2 grand bike unlocked then complains bitterly about an extra quid or two on a celebrity coffee and a bacon sarnie

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 17 Apr 2016 14:55

C run to Worcester Garden Centre (now Wyevale not Blooms)

Steady ride and a very well disciplined group. With good weather - certainly not as cold as i was expecting.

Dave Cole (leader)
Mark McConkey
Mark Gardener
Pete Marshal
Mike Balenski
Jordan Stevens
Nathan Burton
David Little
Henry Witkowski
Neil Evanson
Ryan Evanson

John Deeley came with us as far as Hanbury
Another member Joe started with us but he wasn't at the cafe

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 Apr 2016 17:55

A RUN. 100 miles in 7h45m

Well that was a blo*dy hard club run. In fact I am struggling to think of another one as challenging and untypical of most A runs even by my standards. Vince was indicating 6,300' of ascent by the time we had reached the Wyre Forest, so I would be interested to learn of the final outcome?

We were rewarded by an excellent National Trust cafe in Carding Mill Valley. In comparison to Croome, they were harder a wider ranging menu and were able to serve up beans on toast. Despite queues, service was reasonably swift.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12063506

Including a 30 minute cafe stop and 10 minute inner tube replacement, we completed the route in 7h 15m' ish. My computer indicated a ride time of 6h34m.

Matt was riding well despite a lack of recent cycling and clearly enjoying every hill we encountered. Vince was also proving to be very strong.

Philip Whiteman L
Craig Walmsley
Ben Walmsley
Keith Adcock
Phil Richards
Matt Regan
Trevor Richards
Vince Tennant
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 17 Apr 2016 18:19, edited 6 times in total.

George

Post by George » 17 Apr 2016 18:07

keith wrote:Beacon protocol that ....person in a couple of hundred quid of lycra Un clips 300 quid Garmin but leaves 2 grand bike unlocked then complains bitterly about an extra quid or two on a celebrity coffee and a bacon sarnie
Well, you slightly overestimate the value of my gear, Keith, but your point is nevertheless valid.

However, the thing is that I've sat in cafés on numerous occasions before and listened to people grumble about the prices. So I thought that it was better to point out the facts beforehand, so that anyone who objects has the option of staying away, or can at least come prepared. Personally, I like the café, and the small extra cost isn't a big deal.
Last edited by George on 17 Apr 2016 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

George

Post by George » 17 Apr 2016 18:42

A lovely day for a spin through the Worcestershire lanes, with a very able, disciplined and sociable group. I felt it was my responsibility to police the back of the group on most of the hills.

The following people did the whole ride:
George Barker (leading)
Phil Gameson
Kevin Frobisher
Matt Hale
Leonie Balter
Matt Clegg
Neil Lynch
Paul Johnson
Simon Turner
Gareth Powell
Colin Hall
Neil Orchard

Three other people rode to the café with us, but went home separately:
Tony Clark
James Tate
Fred Depedalo

Two people started the ride, but had to turn back at Belbroughton, after suffering mechanicals:
Ryan Stait
A.N. Other (whose name I didn't catch)

Congratulations to everyone who stepped up from the C run and coped admirably, especially Leonie, who was faster up hill than anyone except Matt, even though she was riding a bike on which I would struggle to keep up with a C run. Also, welcome to Tony Clark, who looks more suited to the A run than the B.

There was one minor incident. Coming out of Belbroughton, we were riding two abreast in a quiet lane, when a group of riders from Redditch R&PCC came the other way, also riding two abreast. Both groups compacted so that we could pass each other, and I assumed that everything had passed off without a problem. However, when we got to the café, I was told that in the Redditch group, the compacting had led to a touch of wheels and someone going down. Because it happened behind me, I have no idea whether anyone on either side was at fault in any way, or whether it was just 'one of those things'.

matthew

Post by matthew » 17 Apr 2016 19:46

Thanks phill the hill. I'm now walking around as is someone has beaten the shite out of me. Roll on the next time.
m regan

ryan stait

Post by ryan stait » 17 Apr 2016 20:35

Thanks to everybody for hanging around when my chain snapped and especially the guy (sorry I didn't get your name) who got the chain into enough of a working order so that I could get back to Brum. Really appreciate it and I owe you lunch at the next ride I see you

Ryan

keith

Post by keith » 17 Apr 2016 20:57

Thanks for the run today Philip got to be the best run of the year so far . Can't believe you went straight on as we left Stourport actually avoiding a hill, probably the first and last time that ever happens.
Last edited by keith on 18 Apr 2016 15:01, edited 2 times in total.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 17 Apr 2016 21:55

Yes, top class A-run today, most enjoyable, especially NOT going up the Burway!

Phil, ride was 170kms and 2,500m of ascent which is somewhere just over 8,000ft in old money, but everyone's Garmin will probably register something different.

Thanks for leading a grand day out, but think we should avoid that Ankerdine-like climb up to Ditton Priors for ever more

bikercolin

First B run

Post by bikercolin » 17 Apr 2016 23:39

Thanks very much George for the perfect introduction to the B run, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 18 Apr 2016 19:06

WorcsPhil wrote:Yes, top class A-run today, most enjoyable, especially NOT going up the Burway!

Phil, ride was 170kms and 2,500m of ascent which is somewhere just over 8,000ft in old money, but everyone's Garmin will probably register something different.

Thanks for leading a grand day out, but think we should avoid that Ankerdine-like climb up to Ditton Priors for ever more
...and that was 8,000ft of ascent that Ben went flying up!

Honest to god, whilst I knew it would be hilly in places, it was not my intention to produce such a deranged route. Please, please, please, anybody deterred from joining A runs should not be deterred. They are not always that bad. This particular ride was intended to provide some distance for riders intending to join the Beacon's Brecons in late May.