Club runs - 3rd July

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 3rd July

Post by WorcsPhil » 27 Jun 2016 09:21

So, as we enter a new uncertain future for our country, one thing we can rely on is that club runs will continue without any division or arguing...no, hang on....

Only joking (partially)

After yesterday's excellent Cotswold Audaxes (and thanks to Pete and all the helpers for making it a great day), this week's club runs are as follows:

A: Draycote Water Reservoir (new destination) - James Tate
B: Worcester - Andy Terry
C: Volunteer required

...and also, as it's the first Sunday of the month:

Intro ride: Destination TBC - Dave Cole leader, supported by Kevin Frobisher

Enjoy.
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 04 Jul 2016 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Terry

Re: Club runs - 3rd July

Post by Andy Terry » 27 Jun 2016 10:08

WorcsPhil wrote:B: Worcester - Andy Terry
Eleven years to the day since my first ever Beacon club run. Destination is the Orchard Cafe, Worcester Woods Country Park.

http://www.theorchardcafe.co.uk/

neilo

B run

Post by neilo » 27 Jun 2016 16:30

What a wonderful name for a cafe.

hd264

Post by hd264 » 27 Jun 2016 16:45

Andy, is this B run suitable for those stepping up from the C run? Or will it be a hilly/fast one?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 27 Jun 2016 17:14

hd264 wrote:Andy, is this B run suitable for those stepping up from the C run? Or will it be a hilly/fast one?
I'll be aiming for a 'mid-range' B run - 60 miles at 15 mph. This one will have about the same amount of climbing as the Arley C run a few weeks ago. So not specifically stepping-up ride, but having said that, nobody will get left behind.

sbrill

Post by sbrill » 29 Jun 2016 15:53

Andy Terry wrote:
hd264 wrote:Andy, is this B run suitable for those stepping up from the C run? Or will it be a hilly/fast one?
I'll be aiming for a 'mid-range' B run - 60 miles at 15 mph. This one will have about the same amount of climbing as the Arley C run a few weeks ago. So not specifically stepping-up ride, but having said that, nobody will get left behind.
Hi, potential new member here. Sounds like a good run, just checking I am ok to come along?

Thanks,
Stuart

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 29 Jun 2016 16:03

sbrill wrote:
Andy Terry wrote:
Hi, potential new member here. Sounds like a good run, just checking I am ok to come along?

Thanks,
Stuart
Yes, of course, Stuart you are welcome to join us.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 03 Jul 2016 14:27

On today's B run to Worcester:

Andy Terry (L)
Andy Wrightson
Paul Johnson
Phil Gameson
Alan Weaver
Nick Shenton
Vince Tennant
Huan Dong
Simon Prince
David McBride
Dale Finnegan
Dave Hughes
John Hitchcock

also at the cafe:

Tony Webb
Jane Herrin
Wally Lowe
Sue Pemberton
George Barker

Apologies to those who got detached as a result of the 'mystery metallic object' incident. Not sure what happened there.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 03 Jul 2016 14:38

A great traditional style club run today like we used to do many years ago. A great ride out, really enjoyed it, thanks Andy
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 03 Jul 2016 17:50

A run to Draycote was an eventful run to say the least. Route out was fine, fast and flowing, but the GPS mis-routed us down a farm track on the way out of the reservoir and we ended up going across a few fields CX style. The group also suffered from 4 **flat**s, including a double whammy on two riders caused by a deep crater just outside Solihull.
The cafe was really nice, good selection of food , nice location and reasonable prices...so well worth another visit. Given the distance it may be worth classifying it as an 8.15 start destination to allow some time for mechanicals, as we ended up being late back into Brum.

Today's A runners were:

James Tate (L)
Andy Curley
Joe Perini
Oliver Timms
Ian Simpson
Matt Hale
Chris Ashford
Martin Mcgowan
Fenella Brown

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 03 Jul 2016 19:24

Thanks for leading today James. A nice new venue, the cyclocross section added to a nice day out as did the fantastic weather.

Ian

Post by Ian » 03 Jul 2016 21:33

James, thanks for leading the run today, great new venue. Clocked 95miles door to door which I hadn't planned but still good, except the last leg from Alvechurch which was a grind. Thanks to Martin for riding back together after **flat**.

Regards

DaleF

Post by DaleF » 03 Jul 2016 21:39

Thanks for the B Ride, shame we got separated after the tire slash!

Was fun with Nick & Andy W, although Andy had plans to kill me off with hills.

Mikey B

Post by Mikey B » 03 Jul 2016 21:55

Can confirm that after a false start on the B run and then missing the start of the intro ride... a few of us cobbled together an adhoc unofficial C-run.

Myself (Mike Balenski), Dave Little & Mark Mc Conkey after attempting to catch the intro ride and head it off at Weather Oak hill - headed on to Wootton Wawen with a cafe stop at the Henley Ice cream shop. A good ride with approximately 45 miles in total with average speed of around 13.5 mph. Cheers guys!

OTimms

A Run

Post by OTimms » 05 Jul 2016 13:40

Did anyone get a photo of that pot hole outside Kenilworth?
Putting a claim in against highways for my ruined 3 week old rim!!!
Thanks in advance.

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 05 Jul 2016 17:55

Oliver...it was here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.37237 ... .89z?hl=en

I've checked street view and the hole is not on there so must be fairly new. I can only suggest going back and photographing it.

martin mc

Re: A Run

Post by martin mc » 05 Jul 2016 22:40

OTimms wrote:Did anyone get a photo of that pot hole outside Kenilworth?
Putting a claim in against highways for my ruined 3 week old rim!!!
Thanks in advance.
Sorry to hear about your wheel Oliver but not suprised given the impact. Andy Curley took a photo of pothole. I haven't got his contact details but you could try messaging him. I think liability for claim only applies if the pothole was previously identified & not acted on. There is a site online for flagging potholes but can't remember the name of it, it's certainly worth bringing it to the attention of the authorities (if someone hasn't already done so) before it claims more victims.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 05 Jul 2016 22:57

martin mc wrote:There is a site online for flagging potholes but can't remember the name of it, it's certainly worth bringing it to the attention of the authorities (if someone hasn't already done so) before it claims more victims.
www.fillthathole.org.uk

martin mc

Post by martin mc » 05 Jul 2016 23:10

Andy Terry wrote:
martin mc wrote:There is a site online for flagging potholes but can't remember the name of it, it's certainly worth bringing it to the attention of the authorities (if someone hasn't already done so) before it claims more victims.
www.fillthathole.org.uk
That's the one Andy. I wonder if it's this pothole http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/hazard/110612 as reported Jan 2015?

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 06 Jul 2016 10:46

martin mc wrote:
Andy Terry wrote:
www.fillthathole.org.uk
That's the one Andy. I wonder if it's this pothole http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/hazard/110612 as reported Jan 2015?
yep that's the hole...bloody huge it was.