Alternative Club Ride - North Staffs & Cheshire

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

Nicks_77

Alternative Club Ride - North Staffs & Cheshire

Post by Nicks_77 » 09 Jul 2016 15:02

I'll be organising an alternative ride around the Staffordshire Moorlands and Cheshire on the 7th August.

Usual rules apply, it'll be a relaxed social affair with the emphasis on enjoying the route and company.

The pace will be aimed at the lower end of a B Run to encourage some of the C Riders to join us who've recently made the juncture to a B Run.

No one will be dropped or left behind.

Full details of the route to follow but I'm aiming to ride out from Stoke into the Cheshire Lanes circumnavigating Jodrell bank then head over the Cat & Fiddle climb, possibly taking in Gunn Hill on the return.

These are fantastic roads to ride and the scenery is well worth the effort of climbing. I'm not aiming to make this stupidly hard so everyone can enjoy it.

The obligatory cafe stop will still feature, as and where yet to be decided, however the top of the Cat climb seems the most obvious.

The meeting place and start time will be posted in due course and you'll have to beg, borrow or steal a lift.

I look forward to seeing the usual suspects but even more so, some new faces. You know who you are ;-)

More details to follow as the weeks progress.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 25 Jul 2016 11:07

UPDATE.....

I've now decided on the route which will be approx 65-70 miles.

Starting from Abbey Hulton the route ascends up to Biddulph Moor taking in views of the Staffs Moorland and Cheshire. We shall then descend into the Cheshire lanes which are generally flat and head out to Jodrell Bank.

After a short loop around the Radio Telescope the route takes us East over to Macclesfield where we shall climb the famous Cat & Fiddle. We'll stop at the Peak View Tea rooms for the cafe stop at the top of the Cat climb. This will be at around the 40 mile mark.

From the Tea rooms the route will continue across towards Buxton then up and over Cat Tor which is probably the most difficult part of the route due to it being so exposed. The views once we head towards the Roaches are definitely worth the effort as is a fast descent towards Tittesworth.

Depending how people feel on the day I may either carry on into Leek and then back to the start, or turn off at Tittesworth and take in the Gun Hill climb which has featured on the last few Tour Of Britain races. This would not add too many miles but is quite a stiff climb after doing the Cat & Fiddle.

Start time will be 9am from 37, Greasley Road, Abbey Hulton, Stoke-On-Trent, ST2 8JD.

There is a green fenced off car park, the gate will be open.

Hoping to see a few new faces aswell as the usual suspects.