Alternative Club Ride - Peak District

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

Nicks_77

Alternative Club Ride - Peak District

Post by Nicks_77 » 09 Aug 2016 21:41

Following on from a popular excursion to Staffs & Cheshire last Sunday, I'm proposing to do another ride. This time we'll head out from the Staffordshire Moorlands to The Peak District.

Heading off from my home town of Cheadle in Staffordshire we'll head out towards Alton, riding up past the famous theme park of the same name. From here we head North East up into the Peak District national park heading through Ilam on our way to the cafe stop at Hartington.

From Hartington we head a bit further North to Longnor before the return leg back to Cheadle via Onecote & Ipstones.

Total route distance will be approximately 52 miles with around 5000ft of climbing.

This ride will be extremely hilly although the majority of climbs will be short and sharp.

As with the previous rides this will be ridden at a social pace with no one left behind so please don't let the hilly nature put you off too much.

It was great to see so many new faces on the Staffs/Cheshire ride and I hope to see some of you again.

The date for this ride is set for Sunday 11th September.

Full details to follow on meet up point but it'll be a 9am start.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 25 Aug 2016 10:05

Only two weeks away now so a gentle reminder about the Peak District Alternative Club ride.

Scheduled to take place on Sunday 11th September.

My friends at Black Horse Velo have also expressed an interest in joining us on this ride so it should turn out to be a nice social day again.

Usual rules apply - We ride at a sensible pace and no one gets dropped, it's about enjoying the scenery and company along the way.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 25 Aug 2016 10:57

Having missed all of these away matches, I am looking forward to this opportunity. Many thanks for organising, Nick.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 05 Sep 2016 12:28

Just under a week to go before the Peaks alternative ride on the 11th September.

Setting off from the public car park just off Well Street, Cheadle, Staffs, ST10 1EY. As you turn off the roundabout on the A522 there is a large public car park to the right. This is the start point for the ride. Parking is about £1.80 for up to 10 hours 9:30-15:30 on a Sunday.

It will be a 9am prompt start and the cafe stop will be around 29 miles into the ride at the Beresford Tea rooms in Hartington.

Depending on the weather and how everyone feels I may add an additional few miles into the route on the way back.

Fingers crossed we get another good day for riding.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 09 Sep 2016 08:38

Just a reminder about this Sunday's alternative club ride to the Peak District. It's a prompt 9am start from Cheadle in Staffs, full details above.

The current weather forecast is cloudy with a max temp of 15oC.

I would suggest bringing arm warmers and a Gilet/lighweight jacket as it can get cooler in and around the Peaks.

See you Sunday.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 09 Sep 2016 09:39

Are there any KOMs that people should know about?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

John

Post by John » 09 Sep 2016 12:15

AlanW wrote:Are there any KOMs that people should know about?
or hedges?