Club runs - 21st August

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 21st August

Post by WorcsPhil » 15 Aug 2016 00:44

Again, over 30 riders out on Sunday to enjoy club runs that were so textbook, they were each embossed in leather and had a foreword by the Duke of Kent.

Not incident free, however, with the B-riders 'enjoying' riding past a nude being photographed, but I'm sure they all averted their eyes.

We're back to late summer longer rides this weekend...and again, no C-ride volunteer at the time of writing.

A: Mystery tour (100 in 7:27) - Philip Whiteman (08:15 start)
B: Market Bosworth (100 in 8:01) - Paul Johnson (08:15 start)
C: Charlecote - John Deeley
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 22 Aug 2016 09:20, edited 2 times in total.

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 15 Aug 2016 11:33

Here's the route for Sunday's B run https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15862839

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 Aug 2016 11:41

It is a mystery A run so not much detail is disclosed aside from the departure and return routes for people wanting to know where they can join or leave the route. Outbound we will depart via the usual Waseley Hills exit towards Belbroughton and Chaddesley. The return is via Crowle, Droitwich, Chaddesley again and back.

Only one tough climb bars the entire route but the route can be described as a roller coaster. The estimated climb is 1543m overall which is not excessive for 160km.

Two cafe quick cafe stops are necessitated due to no single cafe midway.

John D

Post by John D » 16 Aug 2016 14:03

I'll take the c run to Charlecote, approx. 58 miles and will post route during the course of the week.

At the risk of causing minor offence and disappointment and being compliant in Mr Richards directive for "text book", I'm afraid I cant promise any nude women on this ride (unless Andy Terry lends me his copy of "The pervy photographers guide to Warwickshire"), Andy Wrightson has promised not to hold us up by having to go back for one of his shoes and a risk assessment has been undertaken meaning that the chances of anyone falling in a canal are removed.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 17 Aug 2016 12:05

Following a request yesterday, we will see a return to matters philosophical and intellectual during cafe stop discussions.

Phil Richards and club run participants will discuss Renaissance Mathematics. As with so many areas of European thought, mathematics in the Renaissance was a question of recovering and, if you were very lucky, improving upon Greek ideas. The geometry of Euclid, Appollonius and Ptolemy ruled the day. Yet within two hundred years, European mathematics went from being an art that would unmask the eternal shapes of geometry to a science that could track the manifold movements and changes of the real world. The Arabic tradition of Algebra was also assimilated. In its course it changed the way people understood numbers, movement, time, even nature itself and culminated in the calculus of Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz. But how did this profound change come about? What were the ideas that drove it and is this the period in which mathematics became truly modern?

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 17 Aug 2016 12:36

Philip Whiteman wrote:Following a request yesterday, we will see a return to matters philosophical and intellectual during cafe stop discussions.

Phil Richards and club run participants will discuss Renaissance Mathematics. As with so many areas of European thought, mathematics in the Renaissance was a question of recovering and, if you were very lucky, improving upon Greek ideas. The geometry of Euclid, Appollonius and Ptolemy ruled the day. Yet within two hundred years, European mathematics went from being an art that would unmask the eternal shapes of geometry to a science that could track the manifold movements and changes of the real world. The Arabic tradition of Algebra was also assimilated. In its course it changed the way people understood numbers, movement, time, even nature itself and culminated in the calculus of Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz. But how did this profound change come about? What were the ideas that drove it and is this the period in which mathematics became truly modern?
Philip, Everybody knows that. The real issues are which came first, the chicken or the egg and why dos a piece of toast, when dropped, land butter side down.
Les

dweben

Post by dweben » 17 Aug 2016 23:27

Gravity innit.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 18 Aug 2016 09:17

Let's face it, you could spend a whole winter of cafe stops discussing the Leibniz–Newton calculus controversy.

ryan stait

Post by ryan stait » 18 Aug 2016 09:28

ballintrane wrote:Here's the route for Sunday's B run https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15862839
Might join you on Sunday Paul. Can you pencil in my 4 toilet stops??!!

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 18 Aug 2016 15:46

ryan stait wrote: Might join you on Sunday Paul. Can you pencil in my 4 toilet stops??!!
4 sounds a bit optimistic!! :lol:

John D

Post by John D » 19 Aug 2016 21:25

This Sundays c run to Charlecote (some minor detours are possible)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15981932 ... Faus9FYaHe

JD

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 21 Aug 2016 14:47

The A Run

Calculated completion time 6:45; Ride time: 5.49 for 100 miles. 1 flat tyre, 2 cafe stops at Cobhouse and Croome.

Here is the mystery route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15965917

Riders soon found that the 'cut through The Chase' is a rarely used and little known road that crosses the Malvern Hill. Passing up through a cleft in the hills, it is picturesque lined with quaint cottages. Prior to that, we had taken a direct line from Suckley to almost Ledbury before cutting down past Eastnor Castle. Following The Chase we rewarded with a wind aided descent down Castlemorton Common and into Upton.

It was good to see Nic Vipond back on a club run after a lengthy absence. We were also joined by a new strong rider, Mel. She can certainly give it some welly on the hills. Hopefully we will see Mel again in the future.

The wind was nagging for most of outbound route but not quite as problematic on the return. The early threat of wet weather did not materialise as all of the day was dry and bright.

Philip Whiteman L
Mel Potter
Nic Vipond
Martin Mcgowan
Deirdre Hepburn
Chris Ashford
Phil Richards
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 21 Aug 2016 19:11, edited 4 times in total.

John D

Post by John D » 21 Aug 2016 15:51

Great turnout for todays c run to Charlecote, good to see some new and returning faces. Apologies that the average was a little above guidelines but everyone seemed to be coping (note to self, adjust display settings to show average speed on map display when leading!). Unfortunately a reasonably large group from Shipston cycle club just pipped us to the venue meaning that service was slightly slower than ideal and progress was slowed a little by a couple of **flat**s and 2 or 3 minor mechanicals.

Hope everyone enjoyed it and don't forget the 100 in whatever on 11th September.

Out today were

John Deeley
Si Walker
Colin Hall
Cedric Gioan (i hope that's the correct spelling)
Steve Smith (met us at venue and joined us for return leg)
Dennis Snape
Phil Gameson
Huan Dong
Laurie Derbyshire
Jonathan Horgan
Wilson To
Dave Cox
Pete Norman
Mike Preece
Neil Evanson
Paule Balfe
John Crawshaw

Thanks to all for who provided a little shelter for the return leg which was into a slight headwind and Si for leading everyone back after i peeled off.

JD

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 21 Aug 2016 16:26

On today's B run to Market Bosworth on a calm day with light winds!!
Paul Johnson(L)
Neil Lynch(Late stay behind after school)
Nick Shenton
Carolyn Clegg(1st century)
Leonie Balter
Joe Warwood
Ash Turner
Neil Orchard
Sir Alf Ramsey

Thanks to everyone for the company well done Cleggy on her first century.The Cafe was not cheap but the food and service was excellent,Ash hope you got home o.k.

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 21 Aug 2016 17:22

John D wrote:Great turnout for todays c run to Charlecote, good to see some new and returning faces. Apologies that the average was a little above guidelines but everyone seemed to be coping (note to self, adjust display settings to show average speed on map display when leading!). Unfortunately a reasonably large group from Shipston cycle club just pipped us to the venue meaning that service was slightly slower than ideal and progress was slowed a little by a couple of **flat**s and 2 or 3 minor mechanicals.

Hope everyone enjoyed it and don't forget the 100 in whatever on 11th September.

Out today were

John Deeley
Si Walker
Colin Hall
Cedric Gioan (i hope that's the correct spelling)
Steve Smith (met us at venue and joined us for return leg)
Dennis Snape
Phil Gameson
Huan Dong
Laurie Derbyshire
Jonathan Horgan
Wilson To
Dave Cox
Pete Norman
Mike Preece
Neil Evanson
Paule Balfe
John Crawshaw

Thanks to all for who provided a little shelter for the return leg which was into a slight headwind and Si for leading everyone back after i peeled off.

JD
Yep brilliant ride

Thanks to the Beacon Member who helped me with my "P" Fairy visit, much appreciated as didnt get your name
Thank You

Paul B

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 21 Aug 2016 18:40

Thanks for leading today John very enjoyable club run

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 21 Aug 2016 19:50

Thanks to Phil for an excellent A-ride at quite a brisk pace, with excellent company, and you're right, Mel is a very strong rider, well suited to A-rides. Some new roads for many of us, especially a lane that ran South to Ledbury that probably is not even on maps.

Also, the road over the chase was a beauty, and again a good find. Reet good ride, not least as it's the first use of the words 'cleft in the hills' ever seen on the message board

Great stuff.

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 21 Aug 2016 22:43

Many thanks Phil, I can't remember many more enjoyable rides. Excellent cafe stops, great company, strong riding by all and a truly lovely route. The Malvern area is my very favourite place, I'll definitely be revisiting the 'cleft in the hills' as soon as I sum up the energy.
So nice to be back on a club run, cheers everyone.