Club runs - 28th August

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 28th August

Post by WorcsPhil » 22 Aug 2016 09:30

Great to see 32 riders out again on Sunday, with a couple of 100 milers proving popular, and John Deeley's C-ride very popular...thanks, John.

Great to see Sir Alf Ramsey getting back on the bike, but who is Deirdre Hepburn?? Even google struggles with that one.

Anyway, it's the Bank Holiday weekend this Sunday, which is always a popular week, so bask in Olympic glory and clear your decks for the last 'Summer' ride of the year, having said that we only have one leader volunteer at present. This will change as people suddenly realise the huge financial rewards that come from leading....This week's rides are:

A: Coalport YHA - Phil Richards
B: Albrighton - Nick Shenton (The Pied Piper of Iverley)
C: Croome Park - Helen Jamieson
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 30 Aug 2016 09:19, edited 4 times in total.

ballintrane

Re: Club runs - 28th August

Post by ballintrane » 23 Aug 2016 16:16

WorcsPhil wrote:
A: Volunteer required
B: Albrighton - Nick Shenton (The Pied Piper of Iverley)
C: Volunteer required
Phil i think Nick's correct title is :- Nicholas Montague Shenton the XLVIIIth Earl Of Iverley M.F.H. :roll:

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 24 Aug 2016 12:24

This Sunday's B Run heads out to the home of Doorstep sized bread at Spiders Web Cafe Nr RAF Cosford.

The route will be approx 76 Miles Black Horse to Black Horse heading out via Kinver, Wombourne and Pattingham and returning via Claverley and Enville.

This is a lumpy route but nothing major in the way of climbs in either direction.

Pretty much equal distance out and on the return leg.

TJarvis

Post by TJarvis » 24 Aug 2016 17:55

Hi,

My name's Tim. I'm looking to join a cycling club after being a regular cyclist for years but having never joined a club. I ride pretty regularly and I have checked out the average club run speeds/distances. Would it be alright for me to join in the B run this weekend?

Cheers

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 24 Aug 2016 19:35

TJarvis wrote:Hi,

My name's Tim. I'm looking to join a cycling club after being a regular cyclist for years but having never joined a club. I ride pretty regularly and I have checked out the average club run speeds/distances. Would it be alright for me to join in the B run this weekend?

Cheers
Hello Tim. I am sure that you will be more than welcome. Nick is leading the B run this Sunday and he is a decent chap. most of the time. There is always a cafe stop on the club run, so bring some cash.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 24 Aug 2016 20:21

I gave everyone enough time to claim the £250 bonus for leading the A-run, but no one has come forward, so I'll lead the A-run this week and take the August cash bonus.

This will be to Coalport YHA and is about 76 miles, so similar in length and direction to the B-ride. Hillier on the outward leg, and flatter on the return after the horrible hill 200metres after the cafe. Expected to be back in the Black Horse area Around 14:30 give or take, bladders permitting.

Route here.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6402405
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 24 Aug 2016 21:32, edited 2 times in total.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 24 Aug 2016 21:15

I'll lead the C run. Not going to be a fast one as I've been off the bike for 2 weeks. Destination to be confirmed.
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 25 Aug 2016 09:57

Errrr thanks Phillip... I think! :wink:

Hi Tim - You will be more than welcome to join the B Run this Sunday and I look forward to meeting you at the Black Horse.

It's a 9:15 start so try and arrive a little earlier so we can have a chat and do introductions.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 25 Aug 2016 11:27

WorcsPhil wrote:
This will be to Coalport YHA and is about 76 miles, so similar in length and direction to the B-ride. Hillier on the outward leg, and flatter on the return after the horrible hill 200metres after the cafe. Expected to be back in the Black Horse area Around 14:30 give or take, bladders permitting.

Route here.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6402405
Phil, you have not made any reference to this weekend's topic of discussion. Have you chosen one yet? Melvyn Bragg will be joining us, so it better be a good one.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 25 Aug 2016 12:08

Quite right...sorry for the oversight, Phil.

Given Melvyn's appearance, I would like to discuss the use of cycles in films. Do we believe that it is best if they are incidental, such as in the films of Jacques Tati, or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, or more influential if they are the subject matter themselves, such as in films such as the Flying Scotsman, Breaking Away or A Sunday in Hell? I'd like your opinions on whether the latter set are overkill to the general populous and only appeal to the converted, alienating the majority, and in short, shouldn't be made or does niche have a place in mass-cultural media?

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 25 Aug 2016 22:24

Destination for the C run will be croome park.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 28 Aug 2016 15:35

On today's B Run to Spiders Web were:-

Nick Shenton (L)
Paul Johnson
James Tate
Vince (Rain man) Tenant

Plus a warm welcome to 2 new riders & potential members who joined us. I hope you both enjoyed the ride and we look forward to seeing you again.

Oli Pocock
Tim Jarvis

Also to note Black Horse Velo from North Staffs were out in force this morning and met us at the cafe, albeit a brief encounter as the had arrived around 20 mins earlier.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 Aug 2016 15:38

Great ride Phil. Thanks.

I hope the rest of the A run enjoyed the post Clent section home.

There were no incidents en-route. It was great to see Denis Compton at the cafe, who gave a great talk on cricket beyond the grave.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 28 Aug 2016 15:45

On a testing A-ride today to Coalport, near Ironbridge were:

Phil Richards (Leading)
Phil Whiteman
Phil Mickelson
Phil Silvers
Oliver Timms
Ian Taylor
Keith Adcock
Craig Walmsley
Ben Walmsley

A splendid day out, thanks to all.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 28 Aug 2016 16:28

Had a lovely run out to Croome Park with the C run today. The forecasted rain never really materialised and so there was only one short 'damp' section. :D
There were also a few people out who I've not seen in a while, which made it all the nicer. On the run was:

Helen Jamieson (lead)
Tom Muirhead (peeled off)
Pete Norman (peeled off)
Cedric Gioan
Dave Little
Neil Evanson
Gavin Giles
Paul Balfe
Dave Hughes
Anne Hughes
Colin Hall
Mark McConkey
Si Walker
Dave Cole
Jane Herrin (at cafe)
Tony Webb (at cafe)
John Deeley (at cafe)

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 28 Aug 2016 18:04

Thanks Helen for leading a very nice run, the longest club run I've done this year. A large group but everyone stayed together well

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 28 Aug 2016 19:33

Thanks Helen, a good steady pace today very enjoyable.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Aug 2016 21:41

I must have arrived at Croome far to early as l never saw a soul. I even stopped for tea and cake and still didn't see anyone.

So does that mean that l dont get a club run point??

Never the less, it was nice watching the kites flying and I got home before the rain
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 31 Aug 2016 13:24

Thanks for the ride Helen. (Now stop sniggering lads, you know what I mean!)
Got to complement the C run, no romping up hills and no overtaking the leader. All that and conversation. Even had time for some riders (well just the one) to have a vape on the go. Now you don't see that too often!