Short Flat Club Run coming up ?

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

50+

Short Flat Club Run coming up ?

Post by 50+ » 04 Nov 2016 13:00

Hi,

I currently ride solo and avearge between 14-15 mph over around 40 miles with 1800ft elevation per garmin - !

I am looking to increase my mileage in prep for a sportive next year.

I wonder if there are any club runs coming up that might suit - Ive rode with a couple of clubs before and always been ok - But Ive never been great on hills - and not sure How I will fare after recent hip surgery (although climbing solo is no worse than pre op)

Should I go B or C run ? -

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 04 Nov 2016 15:00

I'd say either B or C will serve you well. We are now into winter, so our club runs tend to be around the 100k mark with a cafe stop mid-distance. I'd probably start off with a B and see if you can keep the pace, as it's always good to push your limits a bit...that's how you get stronger and fitter. We always regroup at the top of hills and will always back the pace off if someone is struggling, so don't worry about being left behind. Ride leaders will usually publish the route beforehand, so you might initially select a B run that's flatish, rather than one which takes in known steep climbs.

Tim

Post by Tim » 04 Nov 2016 15:30

Depends on if you do 40miles that pace once a month or twice a week etc. And when was hip surgery? 12 weeks or twelve months? I'd say if doing an extra 20 miles on usual distance I'd go C, better that and feel too easy and you jump on a b the next week than do b and hate and we never see you again :-) You are adding 33% distance by sound of it. I'm sure you will be fine and will enjoy whichever you go for though and you could discuss with leaders of the B and c at the pub at 9 before deciding. Enjoy!
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667