Club run ideas for 2017

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club run ideas for 2017

Post by WorcsPhil » 21 Nov 2016 11:57

Hi all,

I want to encourage innovation in our club runs. It's clear that they currently work well in having an A, B and C ride planned each week, and this will continue in 2017. There are guidelines as to the pace of these etc, and hopefully everyone is aware of them. In addition, for 2017, there are a number of ideas already being mooted, and please post here if you want to comment on the first six ideas, or add any of your own.

1. The Beacon Burst. This can happen any week, all it needs is someone to promote and lead, and clearly state the expected pace, as we want to be fair to everyone who may turn up. Distances can be set by the leader, but clearly these are a good idea for those wishing to get back early. Finally, these can be promoted either as the dedicated run for the week, or as an additional run

2. The 300km club run. Highly likely to be a repeat of this highly successful 2016 ride during the end May Bank Holiday weekend in 2017. To be led by Philip Whiteman

3. A Weston run re-visited...there has been some discussion of doing this every so often, and as 2017 is 4 years since the last one, feelers are out for another one?

4. Regular away-day club runs of the sort Nick Shenton has arranged successfully this year, normally to the Staffordshire wastelands, er moorlands. If open to all members, then they will be considered a club-run

5. I would be happy to organise and promote a 500km club run nonsense ride, i.e. 250kms on day 1 to somewhere on the Welsh coast, an evening in the bar, then a different 250kms ride back on day 2. To be held sometime during June/July/August if there are any takers.

6. A monthly D-ride, which you could argue is similar to an intro ride, but maybe for females only, or newbies, any ideas or thoughts here, but really aimed to get new members into Beacon in a convivial atmosphere.

Any other ideas or comments welcome....

Phil
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 13 Feb 2017 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 22 Nov 2016 18:15

How about we do the mid-summer overnight ride, that was great fun and something completely different from the norm, plus there's something really magical about riding at night in the warm with no cars about.

Also I'm happy to do away days out to the welsh hills, loads of good routes around Snowdonia and the Elan Valley.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 22 Nov 2016 19:24

I'll definitely repeat the midweek 'railway special' to Hereford/Abergavenny/Hay and maybe another one possibly to Shrewsbury.

neilo

Post by neilo » 22 Nov 2016 23:24

The 500km Wales trip sounds good to me, I think beacon bursts are a good idea especially in the winter when the days are shorter.

caashford

Post by caashford » 23 Nov 2016 13:12

Great ideas Phil. I will be up for some longer rides post spring marathons (shocking that running comes first, I know).

I remembered that Johnsons coaches to "out and back" bus trips, so it could be that we do a longer ride to a specific destination and then get the bus back - similar to the Weston Run.

http://www.johnsonscoaches.co.uk/bike-on-board/

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 27 Nov 2016 20:43

I shall certainly be extending my repertoire of Club run excursions next year beyond the "wastelands" of Staffordshire.

I was considering doing some rides starting from some of our regular club run destinations, I.e. Evesham or Warwick.

Watch this space in 2017!