Club runs - 4th December

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 4th December

Post by WorcsPhil » 28 Nov 2016 09:38

On a fine November day, we had 38 people out on club runs on Sunday. Speaking to people from other clubs, this is a really good effort. Having three rides named in advance encourages many to turn up, so hopefully there was something for everyone.

Good to see so many on the C-run, in fact, plaudits are due to Andy Wrightson and Si Walker, who followed guidelines to the letter by splitting the ride into two given the turnout.

It's the Awards night this Saturday night, but nothing stops club runs, except ice...oh, and audaxes...oh and rain...but not hangovers. This weeks rides are:

A: Wellesbourne - Ade Ravenscroft
B: Alcester - Nick Shenton
C: Alcester (but not stopping at a cafe) - Colin Hall
Intro Ride: Akamba - Andy Terry - CANCELLED due to icy conditions
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 05 Dec 2016 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 28 Nov 2016 10:26

We also have an intro ride to Akamba so if you know anyone who would like to try cycling with the Beacon, let them know it's on. It's a 30 mile round trip to a very different cafe, offering a great cake selection on top of all its other attractions.

George

Post by George » 28 Nov 2016 11:50

Which café are you likely to use in Alcester, Nick?

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 28 Nov 2016 16:54

George wrote:Which café are you likely to use in Alcester, Nick?
Most likely it'll be the small cafe at the end of the High Street next to the Church George.

George

Post by George » 28 Nov 2016 17:52

Thanks.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 01 Dec 2016 20:21

Sunday's sobering B Run to Alcester will be approx 60 miles in length heading out via Tardebigge and returning via Stoke Prior and Chaddesley Corbett.

I'm expecting a few sore heads on Sunday morning but hoping the prospect of a greasy fry up at the cafe will draw a few out to play.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 01 Dec 2016 21:04

Nicks_77 wrote:Sunday's sobering B Run to Alcester will be approx 60 miles in length heading out via Tardebigge and returning via Stoke Prior and Chaddesley Corbett.

I'm expecting a few sore heads on Sunday morning but hoping the prospect of a greasy fry up at the cafe will draw a few out to play.
Dare I ask the route..... :wink:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 01 Dec 2016 22:18

AlanW wrote:
Nicks_77 wrote:Sunday's sobering B Run to Alcester will be approx 60 miles in length heading out via Tardebigge and returning via Stoke Prior and Chaddesley Corbett.

Dare I ask the route..... :wink:
You know me Alan, pan flat route as per usual!

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 02 Dec 2016 06:25

Nicks_77 wrote:
You know me Alan, pan flat route as per usual!
I was thinking more about how many we were gonna go past my house rather than the amount of climbing Nick :shock:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AdeR

A Run

Post by AdeR » 02 Dec 2016 18:13

I'll lead an a run if people want one. What does anyone fancy? Wellesbourne caf via Admingtom Ilmington - or Binton Bidford straight round?
Some things actually DO happen that are not on Strava

Philip Whiteman

Re: A Run

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Dec 2016 19:28

AdeR wrote:I'll lead an a run if people want one. What does anyone fancy? Wellesbourne caf via Admingtom Ilmington - or Binton Bidford straight round?
Hello Ade. Not around myself as I will be attending Melvyn Bragg Fanclub Convention. However, I have placed your announcement along with the other club runs on our Facebook Announcement Page and that will generate some riders. https://www.facebook.com/Beacon-Roads-C ... 978192135/

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 03 Dec 2016 11:23

There could be a young Spanish lady from Madrid for the Intro ride. She will be on a mountain bike if she arrives. She really prefers to do MB leisure riding but can't find any clubs around the B'ham area that offer this so would like to join us.
I am sure there should be enough testosterone to assist her, if she needs it or not!

bikercolin

C run

Post by bikercolin » 03 Dec 2016 20:11

Hi all think of this weeks C run as simalar to a blast, non stoping and back in Northfield by 1pm latest, around 70k

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 04 Dec 2016 08:00

Intro Ride cancelled due to road conditions. The lanes round here (Bromsgrove) are icy and I don't want to do an intro ride on the treated main roads.

bikercolin

C Ride

Post by bikercolin » 04 Dec 2016 08:25

Sorry to say he C Group
C Ride cancelled due to the icy conditions, far to hazardous for the planned route

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 04 Dec 2016 13:32

As two keen new riders turned up at Black Horse we did a cautious Intro ride which turned out all right - out on the gritted A38 return on lanes.

Intro Ride to Avoncroft Buildings Museum Tea Room (opens at 10.30 - thanks to Jason for undoing the bolt and guy in the Shop for letting us warm up for 20 mins!)

Dave Cox (leading)
Nathalia Barroso
Georgia McDowell
Jason Green (return sweeper)
Derek Reynolds (outgoing sweeper)

Good to meet Nathalia and Georgia both ready for C Run once Nathalia gets her road bike.
Welcome back Jason after back injury and training for the Snowdrop

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 04 Dec 2016 14:38

The reconvened C ride to Bewdley was delight in the sunshine, be it rather chilly. Lots of condensing steam from the locomotive leaving the station as we arrived into the town. Approx. 45 miles and 13.9 mph. Riders were;

Si Walker (Leading)
Mark McConkey
Daniel Newns
Gemma Johnson
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 04 Dec 2016 15:19

Dave Cox wrote:As two keen new riders turned up at Black Horse we did a cautious Intro ride which turned out all right - out on the gritted A38 return on lanes.
Thanks for stepping in, Dave.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 04 Dec 2016 16:20

On today's frozen B Run to Alcester were:

Nick Shenton (Leading)
Neil (Pass me the Pepper) Orchard
Paul (Woah woah Ice) Johnson
James (Scar Face) Tate
Andy Wrightson
Neil Lynch
Graham Gamblin
Indy Singh
Matt Hale
Phil Gameson
Chris Ashford
Joe
Carl Pearson
Adrian Ravenscroft

Amazingly given the amount of ice and frost we encountered along the route there were no incidents. I personally put this down to the skill of the leader but others will disagree ;-)

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 04 Dec 2016 16:35

Nick thanks for leading today. Ideal pace and distance for the conditions. Actually felt quite warm on the way home in the sunshine! Glad I braved the cold start.
Graham

VeloVert

Post by VeloVert » 04 Dec 2016 16:40

Thanks for leading Dave, enjoyed the ride, blew the rust out of my legs but perhaps a couple of weeks of solo before I do a C run!!

Nice to see potential new members even on a day like today, a good sign.

Dave Cox wrote:As two keen new riders turned up at Black Horse we did a cautious Intro ride which turned out all right - out on the gritted A38 return on lanes.

Intro Ride to Avoncroft Buildings Museum Tea Room (opens at 10.30 - thanks to Jason for undoing the bolt and guy in the Shop for letting us warm up for 20 mins!)

Dave Cox (leading)
Nathalia Barroso
Georgia McDowell
Jason Green (return sweeper)
Derek Reynolds (outgoing sweeper)

Good to meet Nathalia and Georgia both ready for C Run once Nathalia gets her road bike.
Welcome back Jason after back injury and training for the Snowdrop

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 04 Dec 2016 16:41

Nicks_77 wrote:On today's frozen B Run to Alcester were:

Nick Shenton (Leading)
Neil (Pass me the Pepper) Orchard
Paul (Woah woah Ice) Johnson
James (Scar Face) Tate
Andy Wrightson
Neil Lynch
Graham Gamblin
Indy Singh
Matt Hale
Phil Gameson
Chris Ashford
Joe
Carl Pearson
Adrian Ravenscroft

Amazingly given the amount of ice and frost we encountered along the route there were no incidents. I personally put this down to the skill of the leader but others will disagree ;-)
Joe Warwood