Club runs - 14th May

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 14th May

Post by WorcsPhil » 08 May 2017 08:16

A lovely day, reliable forecast, and named leaders in advance meant that we had 45 riders out on the 4 club runs this week...the highest weekly attendance this season, which is great. Thanks to all the leaders, and particularly Mark Connell for a first time lead, and organising via facebook...thanks all.

I appreciate that new members can't access the message board yet, so if the leading fantasy takes you, then please post to the Beacon facebook page, and I'll do the rest.

Great to see so many new faces riding for the first time, hope you enjoyed it and we see you again...there was also one returning (slightly older) face back from Australia...good to see you, Barry...hope you're feeling ok now.

We have TWO first time leaders this week, so please support them by coming along and making their first lead enjoyable and offering help if/when required. This weeks rides are:

A: Tewkesbury - Neil Orchard
B: Destination TBC - Simon Woodward
C: Charlecote - Gemma Johnson

...and finally, I love the fact that a small minority of leaders supply the names of riders back to the message board in alphabetical order. This pleases me immensely and your attention to detail is to be massively admired. So a shout out to Si Walker and Matt Clegg who do this every time they lead, you will go far. So come on leaders, less shoddiness please, I expect your listings to be categorised in at least height order or a category of your choice.
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 15 May 2017 08:42, edited 4 times in total.

Gemma_j1983

Post by Gemma_j1983 » 08 May 2017 12:38

I'll lead the C run.
We'll go to charlcote. Nice easy run out.. the route is 54 miles but with me being challenged geographically we may get lost.

neilo

Post by neilo » 09 May 2017 16:46

This week's A run will be to Tewkesbury, about 75 miles and flat(ish)

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 10 May 2017 10:10

Please support Gemma in her first stint of leading, and thanks to Gemma and Neil for stepping up. Good luck, I'm sure the café will turn up somewhere!

Please can we have a B-run leader, please!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 10 May 2017 14:05

From Facebook:

If we don't have anyone else wanting to, I'll lead the B ride on Sunday. I've never led before, have no idea what I'm doing or where to go. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. [Simon Woodward]

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 10 May 2017 20:55

Simon would be a great leader he has toured extensively and is a very competent rider.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 13 May 2017 11:18

Simon has suggested this route for the B-ride tomorrow.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Beacon-RCC-Bewdley

One or two tasty hills there around the 48-50kms mark - enjoy!

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 13 May 2017 16:22

Hi Neil, is the A run a 9.15 start? And is it Pershore we going to.... :D

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 13 May 2017 18:39

Anyone know where B ride will cafe tomorrow? Usual Riverside cafe? I might meet you there and ride back with the group.
Ta
Belt up, we're going for a ride

neilo

Post by neilo » 13 May 2017 20:06

NeilL wrote:Hi Neil, is the A run a 9.15 start? And is it Pershore we going to.... :D
Yes Neil 9.15 start and No its not Pershore (for once) bring a lock folks.

neilo

Post by neilo » 14 May 2017 15:36

Beautiful day for it today with a headwind on the way out and no rain! Cafe was the 'jelly roll cafe' who coped well with the 13 riders, only 1 flat. thanks to everyone who took a turn on the front, riders were-
Neil Orchard (leading)
Paul Johnson Liam Roberts
Andy Wrightson
Neil Lynch
Phil Richards
Jessica Rhodes-jones
Joe Warwood
Ryan Evanson
George Thorne
Adam Green
Alan Weaver
Rob wade

Gemma_j1983

Post by Gemma_j1983 » 14 May 2017 16:41

A beautiful day for a ride to Charlecote..
13 Riders were
Gemma Johnson (leading)
Mark McConkey
Carolyn Clegg
Adrian McHugh
Huan Dong
Laurie Derbyshire
Richard Chaplin
Tim Jones
Vincent Bulso
Dave Little
Nathan Burton
Pete Norman
Patric McKeon

Massive thanks to Pete who pulled out of his pocket a paper map to help when we took a slightly unplanned detour!

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 14 May 2017 16:55

neilo wrote:Beautiful day for it today with a headwind on the way out and no rain! Cafe was the 'jelly roll cafe' who coped well with the 13 riders, only 1 flat. thanks to everyone who took a turn on the front, riders were-
Neil Orchard (leading)
Paul Johnson Liam Roberts
Andy Wrightson
Neil Lynch
Phil Richards
Jessica Rhodes-jones
Joe Warwood
Ryan Evanson
George Thorne
Adam Green
Alan Weaver
Rob wade
Cracking ride today and thanks Neil for leading, topped of with a master class from someone who will remain nameless, showing just many differant ways there are to inflate a tyre, or in this case.... not :roll:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

chris ankcorn

Post by chris ankcorn » 14 May 2017 17:33

WorcsPhil wrote:Simon has suggested this route for the B-ride tomorrow.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Beacon-RCC-Bewdley

One or two tasty hills there around the 48-50kms mark - enjoy!
My thanks to Simon for leading a successful B run plus all those who took part ...bit if a baptism of fire for me as I haven't done much cycling for a couple of years.

It was great to see some of the old familiar faces and some new ones that I didn't recognize.

I think I'll have to revert back to the C run and progress from there.

PeteNorman

C ride Charlecote

Post by PeteNorman » 14 May 2017 18:11

Nice one Gemma, a really great pace, up tempo and even, thanks alot, and sunshine!

Pete

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 14 May 2017 18:25

Haha, quite correct, Alan, but no need to spare my blushes, a p**s-poor tyre change from me today, my only defence is my last-second bike change this morning meant I came out with my crappy pump. You'll be glad to know I've binned it with no military honours whatsoever. Apologies everyone.

My 4min 55sec change just before this year's sunrise audax certainly remained unchallenged!

Thanks, Neil for leading a very sprightly A-ride and a good new cafe in Tewkesbury.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 15 May 2017 09:21

Just for completeness, the riders on the B-ride yesterday were:

Chris Ankcorn
Phil Gameson
Wayne Gibbs
Jake Stubbs
Chris Thompson
Martin Vowles
Dom Walker
Simon Woodward (Leader)

...and note, Simon has presented names in alphabetical order...quite marvellous!