Club runs - 21st May

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 21st May

Post by WorcsPhil » 15 May 2017 08:54

A big thank you for the three leaders on Sunday guiding some 34 riders on the three rides - Neil for a sprightly 18mph+ romp down to Tewkesbury and a new café, but particularly to Simon and Gemma for making their leading debuts on the B and C-ride respectively. I hope that you found it was not that big a deal and you will persuade others to follow your example.

Excellent work, both!

Congratulations to Jess on her victory in Beacon's Janet Kelly 10mile TT and to all the Beacon representatives, a highly successful event despite the attempts of WCC to thwart it due to roadworks on the route...well done, Marty for saving the day! Weekend kudos are also due to Jon Williams, who is 4 days into his end-to-end (JOGLE) ride and to Elfyn Jones (once of this parish) who completed the Bryan Chapman 600kms Audax with 26.5 riding hours! Some feat that.

This weeks' rides all leave at different times so please note this in your weekend deliberations, they are:

A: Winchcombe - Phil Richards (08:15 LEAVE!)
B: Evesham - Neil Lynch (normal 09:15 LEAVE!)
C: Lavender Hall/Meriden - Dave Cox (08:30 LEAVE!)
Last edited by WorcsPhil on 15 May 2017 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 15 May 2017 09:12

The A-ride route to Winchcombe is here:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21163451

This is a longer route at 139kms, reasonably flat and hence will leave at 08:15 sharp for expected arrival back in Northfield at 13:48. Café stop is at 72kms (45miles), so 66kms back (41miles). This is the last ride before the Beacon 300km event so come along on this ride if you're riding the following week, as it'll be (almost) half-distance and will show you where you are fitness-wise.

I say reasonably flat but I offer you a moral dilemma at 64kms. At Woodmancote, I intend to ascend Cleeve Hill on the longer, but still stiff climb on the B4632, however if you have never climbed Bushcombe Lane then you have the chance to do so...This is widely regarded as the hardest ascent in Southern England, with a particularly nasty 30% section half way up...and has defeated many a strong Beacon rider in two previous club runs up it (there is no shame in walking), so I challenge you to climb this famous road if you haven't done it before. Some context to Bushcombe Lane ascent here:
http://cyclinguphill.com/cleeve-hill-bushcombe-lane/

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 15 May 2017 17:30

The B run route will be something like this, https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20064699

A rolling 65 miles and aiming for 15/16 mph average. Should be quicker on the way out, but the climbs over the Lenches and back in to Brum on the way back will keep the pace down.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 15 May 2017 18:16

96th Cyclists’ Memorial Service
21st of May 2017
11.00 am Meriden Green
Centre of England

Tea/Coffee & Cakes
In the Methodist Church Hall
from 12.00
All cyclists welcome

This traditional service, and gathering of the cycling clans, is the destination for the C Run this Sunday - note we are leaving Black Horse at 8.30. Beacon RCC will be presenting a wreath during the short ceremony with the simple message Cyclists All Faiths All Nations - We Remember

There is the option to stop at Lavender Hall and return early. After tea and cakes at Meriden, I expect to get back about 3.00. Couple of hymns, brass band, short address and prayers, last post. This year we are expecting a reading by Gus Hales of Veterans for Peace.

The Memorial and the Service dates back to 1921 remembering that early generation of club cyclists killed in WW1. Updated plaques about WW2 and many other wars since.

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 16 May 2017 13:59

WorcsPhil wrote:
I say reasonably flat but I offer you a moral dilemma at 64kms. At Woodmancote, I intend to ascend Cleeve Hill on the longer, but still stiff climb on the B4632, however if you have never climbed Bushcombe Lane then you have the chance to do so...This is widely regarded as the hardest ascent in Southern England, with a particularly nasty 30% section half way up...and has defeated many a strong Beacon rider in two previous club runs up it (there is no shame in walking), so I challenge you to climb this famous road if you haven't done it before. Some context to Bushcombe Lane ascent here:
http://cyclinguphill.com/cleeve-hill-bushcombe-lane/
Good luck with that project!! http://veloviewer.com/segment/745156?re ... stravistiX

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 18 May 2017 22:14

The B run will be going to the Hampton Farm shop cafe just on the way in to Evesham http://www.hamptonfarmshop.com/the-cafe/.

Serving all the cyclists favourites except custard filled croissants - sorry Paul J, have to make do with a bacon sandwich!

I went in today, Its a bit small but, they are welcoming I just need to let then know numbers Sunday AM and they will hold a few tables for us.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 19 May 2017 20:41

Hi Phil, I plan to join A, but I'll rendezvous with you at Tardebigge. For me there is no moral dilemma having climbed Bushcombe before :lol:
Barry
Belt up, we're going for a ride

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 19 May 2017 23:07

be good to see you, Barry...don't forget our 08:15 start...so be passing Tardebigge sometime around 08:35.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 21 May 2017 14:11

Ten alphabetical riders on the A-ride today, namely:

Phil Richards (Leading)
Keith Adcock
Nathan Cardon
Barry Evans
Ryan Evanson
Martin McGowan
Alberto Recchioni
Matt Regan
Trev Richards
Dom Williams
Serena Williams

Excellent day out in nice weather...I can report some high comedy on Bushcombe Lane, 6 of the 10 riders went up it, Matt Regan led the way to the top showing there's life in the old dog yet! We had a chain fall off, bringing down another rider at 3kph, a repeat attempt, a chain fall off again, oil and disappointment. Think Ryan will attempt it again soon, but John Hunt's Beacon CC strava lead remained firmly intact.

Thanks to all for coming along.

Finally, a new cafe in Winchcombe, Rosie's on the High St - recommended - fast service and according to Barry a half-decent macchiato.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 21 May 2017 16:01

C Run to Lavender Hall and the 96th Meriden Cyclists' Memorial Service

Dave Cox (Leader)
Laurie and Paul Derbyshire
Mark McConkey
Dave Little
Neil Evans
Gemma Johnson

Many thanks to Dave L and Neil for coming on to Meriden and to Neil for representing our youth section and for laying the Beacon wreath

Dave Cole and Oscar Hopkins rode out directly to Meriden surely justifying some points.

The service was much enhanced by Gus Hales from Veterans for Peace talking about his and his comrades experiences in the Falklands War. The Rev Lynda Lilley always does an address which references cycling. This time she likened the stoker on a tandem to the Holy Ghost. Can't wait to tell Roger Green who may just be holy but is certainly no ghost !!!
Attachments
beacon_wreath.jpg
beacon_wreath.jpg (218.79 KiB) Viewed 11046 times

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 21 May 2017 17:14

Thanks for leading a great A ride today, Phil. You did some hard yakka in to the head wind heading south. And your crank didn't fall off once :wink:

I was particularly happy that nothing fell off my bike having spent yesterday fitting a complete new groupset. Indeed, I was just soaking in the morning birdsong and whispering purring gears at Tardebigge when along came Dame ballerina Regan. It was like my crank, chain and spokes had all snapped at the same time :lol:
Belt up, we're going for a ride

NeilL

Post by NeilL » 21 May 2017 17:31

On today's B run:

Neil Lynch - leading
John Hitchcock
Andy 'one bottle' Wrightson
Matt Clegg
Nathan Burton
Stubborn pheasant
Mark Connell
Phil Gameson
Phil Elwell
Ryan Stait
Daniel Newns
Jolanta Kandefer (returning B runner)
Paul Johnson
Vincent Bulso (1st B)

A couple of C runners jumped on after missing the early C start, but dropped off just after the start. Sorry I didn't get your names.

No incidents to report except a few minor mechanicals and a Mat having a scary moment after playing chicken with a rather stubborn pheasant!

I recommend the cafe. They catered well considering the numbers, frendily table service and good food!

Andy W

One bottle

Post by Andy W » 21 May 2017 18:18

As long as its one bottle of wine im quite happy lol, good run today mate i really enjoyed it

martin mc

Re: Club runs - 21st May

Post by martin mc » 21 May 2017 21:36

Thanks for leading today Phil. Giving riders option of silly steep climb or steadier climb to top of it was genius, just suprised only 4 of us went the sensible way up.

matthew

Post by matthew » 21 May 2017 21:40

Thanks Phil great a run today good to catch up. Oh and you baza😜
m regan

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 22 May 2017 09:50

The two C riders who went their own way Neil were Natalia Barrosa and Ifor Jones out on his first or possibly second Beacon Run

Alberto Recchioni

Re:

Post by Alberto Recchioni » 22 May 2017 15:21

WorcsPhil wrote:
21 May 2017 14:11
Ten alphabetical riders on the A-ride today, namely:

Phil Richards (Leading)
Keith Adcock
Nathan Cardon
Barry Evans
Ryan Evanson
Martin McGowan
Alberto Recchioni
Matt Regan
Trev Richards
Dom Williams
Serena Williams

Excellent day out in nice weather...I can report some high comedy on Bushcombe Lane, 6 of the 10 riders went up it, Matt Regan led the way to the top showing there's life in the old dog yet! We had a chain fall off, bringing down another rider at 3kph, a repeat attempt, a chain fall off again, oil and disappointment. Think Ryan will attempt it again soon, but John Hunt's Beacon CC strava lead remained firmly intact.

Thanks to all for coming along.

Finally, a new cafe in Winchcombe, Rosie's on the High St - recommended - fast service and according to Barry a half-decent macchiato.
Thank you Phil to lead us yesterday. It was a pleasure for me.

What's about the Bushcombe lane ascent?
I am still laughing with my legs about how many "clip-on" attempts I did on the hardest section!
Then when I did two cars decided to take the stage for about 5 minutes :P a reasonable time to breath again!

See you next guys and girls!