Club runs - 28th May

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 28th May

Post by WorcsPhil » 22 May 2017 09:08

A lovely day for the 30+ riders out on Sunday, and thanks to Dave Cox in particular for leading out the C-ride to Meriden Cyclists Memorial Service, and to lay a red, white and green wreath.

The A-ride allowed some to climb, walk and fall off up Bushcombe Lane which provided a stiff challenge, and I've often said a permanent camera on the steep bit would be comedy gold. On the B-ride, a new café venue in Evesham attracted some of the new A-ride brigade including Matt Clegg, who after an incident with a wild bird, lived up to his reputation as a pheasant plucker.

Finally, a huge shout out for Chris Ashford with the 'notable performance of the weekend', a 100 kilometre run, yes run, in 7.5 hours on the flatlands around Hull...two and a half marathons at an pace that many people couldn't run 5k in...kudos indeed, Chris

It's the weekend of the Beacon Brecon 300km club run this Sunday coming...details are on the other thread, but suspect we will meet at 05:50 at the Black Horse for a depart at 6am sharp. We will split into two groups on the morning, with unofficial leaders picked at random...and the long range forecast weather looks fabulous again - let's hope it stays that way!

As there will be quite a few Beacon members out on this ride, it good be a good week for somebody to lead a Beacon Burst at A/B pace, and expect a C-ride to operate at the normal 09:00 start time...volunteers needed to lead these. So this week's rides are:

A: Volunteer required
B: Worcester Country Park - John Hitchcock / Barry Evans
C: Pershore - Dave Cox

Alternative club run: Beacon's Brecon 300km club run at 06:00 - details on other thread.

Finally, finally - on Wednesday, Norman Adams celebrates his 90th birthday. He is obviously a long standing Beacon member, and although I don't know him personally, I'm in awe of his cycling talent and legacy. I've looked at the Beacon records in the archive section and been struck just how fast he was, his TT times from 60 years ago are far faster than I and many others could ever achieve, and all this on bikes and roads that gives us such advantages these days. Norman, if you are reading this, congratulations and all the best from us all at Beacon. You have our total respect.

Dave Cox

Re: Club runs - 28th May

Post by Dave Cox » 26 May 2017 12:13

I'll do a C Run to Pershore

Scratch

Post by Scratch » 27 May 2017 15:42

I can take a run to Worcester Country park if anyone is interested, at approx B run pace. However I can only lead the run out, as I won't be returning to Birmingham.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 27 May 2017 19:37

I should be at the BH tomorrow, John, so can help, and bring them home via Romsley(ish) as I have to be back ASAP
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 28 May 2017 16:32

C Run to Pershore (including a short tour of cafes and pubs)

Dave Cox (leading and autobus)
Dave Cole (leading the breakaway)
Ifor Jones
Wayne Gibbs
Natalia Barroso
Dave Little (sweeper 1)
Adrian McHugh (sweeper 2)
Neil Evanson
Mark Gardner
Mark McConkey
Alice Hipwell
Catherine Corr (on first Beacon Run)
Oliver Shone (on first Beacon Run)

Good to welcome new riders - good day out in ideal cycling conditions

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 28 May 2017 22:10

On today's UltraElite A run were:

John Hitchcock
Dave Hughes
Barry Evans

What an epic... all the way to Worcester Country Park :lol:
Belt up, we're going for a ride

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 28 May 2017 23:33

Dave
Thanks for leading today's club run to Pershore very nice route and excellent cakes in Coffee One. I'll lead next weeks run to give you a break

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 28 May 2017 23:43

On today's 300kms Beacon club run to Brecon (almost) were:

Phil Richards
Alex Hill
Simon Woodward
Martin McGowan
Alberto Recchioni
Ryan Evanson
Adam Green
Vince Tennant
The Rt Hon David Davies MP
Paul Johnson
Leonie balter
Chris Ashford
Neil Lynch
James Tate
Nick Shenton
Andy Wrightson
Rob Wade
Neil Orchard
Jon Williams

...and what a great day, good riding and high comedy. Perhaps the slowest cafe in Wales, a double **flat**, strong riding by all, and no rain.

And a big thanks to Philip Whiteman for organising all this, despite not being able to ride it himself, we raised a metaphorical ham sandwich to his efforts. Thanks, Phil...next year?

Andy W

Post by Andy W » 29 May 2017 07:04

Thanks all for another fantastic day in the saddle

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 29 May 2017 08:59

WorcsPhil wrote:
28 May 2017 23:43

And a big thanks to Philip Whiteman for organising all this, despite not being able to ride it himself, we raised a metaphorical ham sandwich to his efforts. Thanks, Phil...next year?
Thank Phil and I am glad that you enjoyed it. As for next year, would you want to repeat this route, similar on a theme or something completely new?

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 29 May 2017 09:32

Hi Phil - definitely repeat next year, and my vote would be for a completely different route. Nothing wrong with this one, but a change onto new roads, new towns would keep it fresh...but happy to go with the majority view.

...also good to keep it relatively sensible in terms of climbing...the distance is the challenge, adding unnecessary monster Welsh climbs to turn it into Yr Elyndd Audax would be asking a bit much!

Phil

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 29 May 2017 14:54

Philip Whiteman wrote:
29 May 2017 08:59
WorcsPhil wrote:
28 May 2017 23:43

Thank Phil and I am glad that you enjoyed it. As for next year, would you want to repeat this route, similar on a theme or something completely new?
Thanks again Philip for organising this ride i would also vote for a completley different route i will not miss the ride from Abergavenny to Monmouth!! :roll:
Paul Johnson

neilo

Post by neilo » 29 May 2017 19:02

Loved doing this the last 2 years Mr Whiteman so thankyou for taking the time out for organising a great day out, I'd be up for any route next year but somewhere different would be bostin! Might take a packed lunch next time though so we'd be back earlier 👍