Club runs - 11th June

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 11th June

Post by WorcsPhil » 05 Jun 2017 09:36

We had 36 riders out on Sunday over the four club runs, and a warm welcome to those out on their first club run...hope you enjoyed it and managed to avoid the rain. Thanks as always to the four leaders, particularly Nick Shenton for stepping into leading the A-ride at short notice, and to Dave Cox for leading the Intro ride again...appreciated!

Jess gets another shout out for a stunning win in her category at the Tour of Cambridgeshire TT, and qualifies for the finals back in France, but an even bigger shout out for Chris Ashford, who ran uphill in Durban, SA for nearly 87kms and finished in 6hrs 17min, finishing 40th out of over 17,000 starters...Now put them pumps away, Chris and get back on the bike! Finally, a big (if belated) congratulations to Anne Hughes for retaining her Triathlon National Champion trophy a week or two back ... The Hughes' are an example to us all, and must have a ginormous mantelpiece at home weighed down by trophies.

Good luck to both Beacon teams at this Friday's Silverstone Team Time Trial....

Our move of the regular B-riders to the A-ride has been a success, and the A-ride is now a very popular choice for many, and with speeds around 17-18.5mph regularly offers a speedy ride - thanks for embracing the change. However, this success has been down to a whole group of B-riders moving up together, so we need a similar block move of C-riders...why not consider it? We instigated this move to provide an opportunity for more steady B-rides which now need their own impetus. We have a few leaders lined up in the next few weeks, but it has an identity crisis at present, so let's re-cap....

The B-ride is designed for stronger C-riders, A-riders wanting an easier week as well as 'natural' B-riders comfortable with those speeds and distances and should be a popular ride being a 'competitive but leisurely' 15-16mph speed without any eyeballs out riding...so please step forward to lead and participate in B-rides, they are a vital part of our club run smorgasbord. [Note: This is my first and last use of the word 'smorgasbord' but it fitted the sentence perfectly]

This week's rides are:

A: 100 in 8 to Much Wenlock - Paul Johnson (08:15 start) - Note this is a tough route!
B: 100 in a bit longer to Much Wenlock - Simon Woodward (08:15 start)
C: Volunteer required:

ballintrane

Re: Club runs - 11th June

Post by ballintrane » 05 Jun 2017 10:24

Sunday 100 in 8 route will be something like this https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21462967 cafe stop about halfway lots of necessary hills(and some unnecessary ones too!!) :roll:
Paul Johnson

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 05 Jun 2017 19:24

Thanks for the route Paul.
Those that have ridden with me before will know that I tend to ride at a more leisurely pace than most. So as long as it's Ok with everyone, I'll start off with everyone and then hopefully catch you all up at the cafe.
If there are any C/B riders who fancy a longer ride but are worried about the pace, you can always join my autobus. :)

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 05 Jun 2017 20:29

Simon Woodward wrote:
05 Jun 2017 19:24
Thanks for the route Paul.
Those that have ridden with me before will know that I tend to ride at a more leisurely pace than most. So as long as it's Ok with everyone, I'll start off with everyone and then hopefully catch you all up at the cafe.
If there are any C/B riders who fancy a longer ride but are worried about the pace, you can always join my autobus. :)
Simon if you want to lead a slower group you're more than welcome as is any C/B riders who want to come along(Cafe is the Wenlock Smoothie) and just for Dr. Whiteman anyone doing the Kidderminster Killer or Clee to Heaven Audaxes on 22nd July 2017 this is a perfect training ride!!(What do you mean you haven't entered yet) :shock:
Paul Johnson

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 05 Jun 2017 21:38

Hi Simon, let's give it a go and label your ride as this week's B-ride. If no one turns up, you can ride at your own pace as you say above, but Beaconites, if you're considering a longer ride, then join Simon for a more leisurely 100miler than Paul's relentless pace. Simon is an experienced rider who will see you right, why not join him and make it a Much Wenlock double header!

Post here if you fancy joining Simon, otherwise just turn up anyway at 08:05 and ride.

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 06 Jun 2017 09:06

Hi Simon, let's give it a go and label your ride as this week's B-ride. If no one turns up, you can ride at your own pace as you say above, but Beaconites, if you're considering a longer ride, then join Simon for a more leisurely 100miler than Paul's relentless pace. Simon is an experienced rider who will see you right, why not join him and make it a Much Wenlock double header!
Sounds like a fine plan.

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 10 Jun 2017 09:03

I am willing to lead the C Run to Charlecote tomorrow.
I don't know what the turnout will be tomorrow, but if we have a reasonable number of A and B riders at 9:15 who didn't fancy / know about the 8:15 start / 100 mile rides, then it may be worth having two 9:15 rides. So if any one else wants to be prepared to lead a second ride if there is the demand that would be great.
Having said that I will lead at C ride pace if the numbers are low or there is no one else willing to lead.
I'll post a route later today.
Phil Gameson

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 10 Jun 2017 11:55

I will use Si Walker's route from six weeks or so ago: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19694096

This is about 55 miles and is one of our flatter routes, once leaving Birmingham gently losing height to Charlecote and then gently gaining it again on the way home.
Phil Gameson

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 11 Jun 2017 14:21

On the C Ride today were:
Phil Gameson - Main Leader
Si Walker - led a second group on the way out
David Little - let a second group on the way back
Phil Hird
Will Woodhouse
Mel Kavanagh
Neil Evanson
Richard Jones
Adrian McHugh
Wayne Gibbs
Gemma Johnson
Laurie Derbyshire
Ash Turner
One other person set off with us but dropped out early on (he had warned us that he might).

As there were 14 of us at the start we decided to split into two Groups, with Si Walker leading the second group. But as Si was having trouble with his Garmin, in the end we kept the two groups in sight of each other at all important junctions.

On the return David kindly agreed to lead a second group at a more sedate pace (most people being happy to return at a similar pace to the outward run). Many thanks David for that.

Our overall speed for the first group was a bit under 15mph hour - a bit quick for a C run but it was relatively flat and the wind was not as much of a problem as it might have been.
Phil Gameson

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 11 Jun 2017 16:45

On today's slightly undulating A run to Much Wenlock.
Paul Johnson(L)
Leonie Balter
Andy Wrightson
Vince Tennant
Ryan Evanson
Adam Green
Dom Walker
Daniel Newns(Glad you got home o.k.)
Simon Woodward(Leading the solo B run)
Martin McGowan
Neil Orchard
Paul Johnson