Club runs - 6th August

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 6th August

Post by WorcsPhil » 31 Jul 2017 09:17

Can someone post the names of all the C-riders please!

A traditional set of club runs this Sunday just gone, albeit a very speedy 30kph+ A-ride was perhaps a little boisterous...I blame the leader. Thanks to Gemma and Phil G for leading the C and B respectively.

We also have an Intro ride this Sunday, so good to see a full house of leaders. This week's club runs are:

A: 100 in 7 to Whichford - Paul Johnson (08:15 start)
B: Warwick - Phil Gameson
C: Leamington - Helen Jamieson

INTRO RIDE: Destination TBC - Pete Norman leading...

Gemma_j1983

Re: Club runs - 6th August

Post by Gemma_j1983 » 31 Jul 2017 09:58

Hi Phil
sorry I'll post when I get in from work

Thanks

Gemma

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 31 Jul 2017 13:19

Sunday's A run route will be something like this https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23111320 to this cafe stop at halfway https://www.whichfordpottery.com/visiti ... aw-kitchen (Definitely no boisterous leadership on this club run :roll: )
Paul Johnson

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 02 Aug 2017 13:42

I'll lead the C run I had to canx in early July.
Don't expect it to be fast though coz I haven't been on a long bike ride for quite some time! :lol:
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 04 Aug 2017 09:17

In the absence of anyone else I am happy to lead on Sunday, but as this would be my third B run lead in 4 weeks other people might like a change!
If do lead then I propose going to Warwick, which will mean about 55 miles and a middling amount of climbing. I will post a route nearer the time.
Phil Gameson

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 04 Aug 2017 20:45

I'll take us to Simon's cafe (?) leamington.

PeteNorman

Post by PeteNorman » 04 Aug 2017 23:07

I will lead an intro ride on Sunday

Going to The Wedges Bakery - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23882301

Pete

Hi Phil - no takers for intro ride today so I went rideabout with C

Pete
Last edited by PeteNorman on 06 Aug 2017 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 05 Aug 2017 11:41

Here is the route for the B run to Warwick.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/beacon-rcc-warwick
This is actually about 63 miles, but can be shortened by a couple of miles on the longer outward leg if we want to.
Phil Gameson

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 06 Aug 2017 14:40

I hadn't been expecting many on the B run today because a lot of people would be on holiday - how wrong I was.
I think 15 or 16 of us set from the Black Horse. One person apparently **flat**d very early on (before the Man on the Moon), but no message was passed forward and we didn't stop. Our second **flat** was just after Weatheroak Hill. Whilst fixing that the C run passed us and there was a defection from B to C and one from C to B.
Andy Terry appeared to be finding things rather hard going and we eased off a bit until he discovered that his back brake was binding!
The route was a Sean Barker one from the club runs database. This was a little out of the ordinary, including a long but relatively flat and straight section along a no through road, whose service gradually detiorated until there was no surface at all. I don't regret doing it, but would have warned people in advance had I known.

Someone suggested I use my phone to take the list of riders. Consulting the list now, I found that it just contains a four digit number!
From memory the riders were:
Phil Gameson (leader)
Si Walker
Neil Evanson
Phil Elwell
Will Porter
Todd ... (first time out)
Margaret ... (first time out)
Andy Terry
Laurie and Paul... - left us around Portway.
Gareth Polley(?)
John Hitchcock (left us around Lowsonford, but we then passed him going in the other direction a few miles later)
There were three or four others, whose names I don't know. Can anyone add to this list please?
Phil Gameson

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 06 Aug 2017 14:52

Many apologies, whilst the C run had no mechanicals or ***flats***, it did end up being a bit of a magical mystery tour today due to a slightly malfunctioning garmin that took us in a circle.... :oops:

We didn't make it to leamington, instead some of us diverted to lavender hall fisheries (thanks for the navigation Si Turner), whilst others headed home due to running out of time/hamstring issues etc.... points need to be awarded to all though coz everyone would have come to the cafe if I hadn't got us slightly lost....

Helen jamieson (poor navigational leader)
Si turner (saviour in getting us to lavender hall)
Eleanor bird (back up garmin from lavender hall)
Mark Russell

And the three who had to get back;
Pete Norman
Kay Davis
Adrian "hamstrings" (sorry, I don't know your last name).

Don't worry - I won't volunteer to lead again. :D

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 06 Aug 2017 16:11

On today's rowdy rather than boisterous 100 mile A run to Whichford
Paul Johnson(L)
Alan Weaver
Andy Wrightson
Neil Orchard
Barry Evans
James Tate
Vincent Tennant
Martin McGowan
Phil Richards
Justin Gatlin
Ian Simpson
Ryan Evanson
Neil Lynch
Chris Ashford
Nick Shenton
Kevin Young
Paul Johnson

Gemma_j1983

Post by Gemma_j1983 » 06 Aug 2017 18:33

I was on the B run with Phil.

Phil how could you forget me!? :(

Andy W

Post by Andy W » 06 Aug 2017 18:34

Cheers for todays 100 paul and the most enjoyable bacon sandwhich to top it off

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 06 Aug 2017 18:36

Oops you forgot Gemma Johnson. Wally Lowe and Sue Pemberton met us at the cafe. It's Laurie and Paul Darbyshire - think I spelt that right.

When I got home I discovered the outer part of the rear wheel hub was loose, causing the wheel to not sit square in the dropouts and making the tyre rub on the frame. That's my excuse anyway.

Great route - especially the way out of Warwick.

Macco

Post by Macco » 06 Aug 2017 21:11

I thought made the best of a bad situation this morning Hels, & I'm endebted to yourself, Eleanor & Si for getting me, (Mr. no sense of direction) back to Northfield.

Wilvo

Post by Wilvo » 06 Aug 2017 21:58

PhilG wrote:
06 Aug 2017 14:40
I hadn't been expecting many on the B run today because a lot of people would be on holiday - how wrong I was.
I think 15 or 16 of us set from the Black Horse. One person apparently **flat**d very early on (before the Man on the Moon), but no message was passed forward and we didn't stop. Our second **flat** was just after Weatheroak Hill. Whilst fixing that the C run passed us and there was a defection from B to C and one from C to B.
Andy Terry appeared to be finding things rather hard going and we eased off a bit until he discovered that his back brake was binding!
The route was a Sean Barker one from the club runs database. This was a little out of the ordinary, including a long but relatively flat and straight section along a no through road, whose service gradually detiorated until there was no surface at all. I don't regret doing it, but would have warned people in advance had I known.

Someone suggested I use my phone to take the list of riders. Consulting the list now, I found that it just contains a four digit number!
Phil Gameson (leader)
Si Walker
Neil Evanson
Phil Elwell
Will Porter
Andy Terry
Gareth Polley(?)
John Hitchcock (left us around Lowsonford, but we then passed him going in the other direction a few miles later)
There were three or four others, whose names I don't know. Can anyone add to this list please?
I was the one that flatted. Gutted as it was my first B run and due to running late I'd left my inner tube at home so ended up getting an uber home 😥

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 06 Aug 2017 22:17

Andy W wrote:
06 Aug 2017 18:34
Cheers for todays 100 paul and the most enjoyable bacon sandwhich to top it off
Awesome bacon sarnie, but not sure about that purple and green crap though?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

YourAverageJoe

Post by YourAverageJoe » 07 Aug 2017 21:40

PhilG wrote:
06 Aug 2017 14:40

Phil Gameson (leader)
Si Walker
Neil Evanson
Phil Elwell
Will Porter
Andy Terry
Gareth Polley(?)
I'm one of those missing from this list, Phil. Wayne Gibbs, aka Your Average Joe (A Strava reference).

Looking at Strava, I think the two first timers on your list are, Todd Hussey and Margret Lynn. Everybody else, I can see on there, are already listed.
Your Average Joe. Fitter than some, not as fit as others.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 08 Aug 2017 09:57

Thanks to Paul for an excellent A run and doing an impressive amount of work on the front into the wind. Chapeau, Sir.
Good route, pace and cafe venue.
And how lucky were we all with the weather on Sunday! Back to its miserable worst now :(
Belt up, we're going for a ride