Club runs - 7th January

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 7th January

Post by WorcsPhil » 01 Jan 2018 10:55

So, we've all made it to 2018, well done. So what's in store this year on the club run agenda...

1. There's a separate thread for 2018 club run ideas, there will be lots of 'normal' club runs, but special days of 160kms in 7 hours, 160kms in however long it takes, (good to see this one back), awayday trips to Staffordshire, 200kms rides, a circumcision of Birmingham ride, 300kms, 400kms thanks to Paul, and possibly a 500kms club run weekend. Whatever you want to do, JUST SUGGEST IT!!!

2. Speaking to Phil Gameson yesterday, we remarked that the club run database is a little long in the tooth, so we agreed to update it...I've already posted a few routes that people can use, but please can members spend 5 mins and post to that thread with route ideas...preferably in ridewithgps format

3. Yes, we're still short of club run volunteers stepping up in advance. There's been a number of recent rides where we've ran a joint A and B ride, which won't encourage others to move up to a B-ride, so please, please, please can you look inside yourself and volunteer to lead rides in advance by posting on the Jan/Feb/March thread...this will only encourage more junior riders, more females and more waverers to come along, it's alright for us old gits who will trust that there will always be someone there to ride with, but we need to keep on encouraging new members, and this advance posting definitely helps.

To make my point, this week's rides are:

A: Volunteer required
B: Beacon Burst 50 miler (no cafe stop) - Nick Shenton
C: Arley - Pete Marshall

No Intro ride this week, but it will start up in February, led by George Barker, a leader so skilled, he could run focus groups on how it should be done.

Have a good 2018 all.

George

Re: Club runs - 7th January

Post by George » 01 Jan 2018 11:11

WorcsPhil wrote:
01 Jan 2018 10:55
No Intro ride this week, but it will start up in February, led by George Barker, a leader so skilled, he could run focus groups on how it should be done.
I look forward to meeting my namesake when I turn up to help.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 01 Jan 2018 11:32

...and the last time you led, George on the 19th November, there were 25 riders...a record turn out for one ride...all trying to cram into Auntea Rita's...#reputations

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 03 Jan 2018 15:00

Dependent upon the weather this coming Sunday I will take a B Run paced Beacon Burst.

I have no route planned as yet but it will be approx 50 miles.

Selfishly I will be taking the ride back near to where I live as I need to be home for midday. If anyone wants to extend the ride afterwards then they can do that to get in some extra miles.

Sunday's forecast is currently sunny but very cold with a risk of ice in the morning. I shall therefore decide nearer to if I'll be out or not.

Roll on Spring as I seem to be clocking up more miles in my garage than out on the road lately.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 05 Jan 2018 10:08

If someone is willing to lead a C ride as far as Belbroughton I can take it from there. A nice trip by a few different roads than usual to Arley. A tad lumpy but shortish so we can take the rather awful roads steady.
Going to be cold and sunny, no better place than down by the river.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26678366

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 05 Jan 2018 10:44

Si Turner has agreed to assist so our usual double act.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 06 Jan 2018 13:38

Please note, if you have downloaded the GPS file, given that there will be some ice around tomorrow morning the route I will follow will be significantly different, particularly the early parts, to use some more reliable roads.
Alternative route
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26683669

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 07 Jan 2018 07:18

Due to the low temperatures overnight and amount of ice that's formed I will not be out this morning.

Therefore regrettably the B Run - Beacon Burst is cancelled.

If you do venture out this morning stay safe.

neil_evanson

Post by neil_evanson » 07 Jan 2018 10:15

Braved the icy conditions upto the BH for the C-ride Si Turner, Colin Hall & Adrian Ravenscroft also stayed upright to the BH.
Made collective discussion to call off the C-ride due to the poor road conditions. - Thanks Pete for offering to lead this weeks C-ride. Si tried to contact you Pete but suffered a telecommunication failure (flat battery).

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 07 Jan 2018 11:07

:C Ride
Pete Marshall (l)
As nobody let me know that they'd cried off I was at pre arranged point so deserve my points😁
It's a lovely day for a ride.

George

Post by George » 07 Jan 2018 17:01

The gritters came around my local classified roads on Friday night, when frost was forecast but didn't materialise. On Saturday night, the council seems to have decided that further gritting was unnecessary. Sods Law being what it is, it did freeze this time and there were significant areas of frost and ice the classified roads around here this morning. I decided on a late start, hoping that by then it would have thawed, but I still encountered plenty of ice, even in the mid-afternoon. So I'm confident that the people who decided to cancel made the right decision. A lot of the roads would have been lethal at 9 or 10am.