Club runs - 25th March

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 25th March

Post by WorcsPhil » 19 Mar 2018 11:18

Good grief...that's all I can say. Good Grief. Another Sunday wiped out by the poor weather, and not even Andy Wrightson turned up at the Black Horse, although we did wipe him out on Saturday on a long audax in temperatures so cold that we heard clanging sounds from our bibshorts (is that too much information?)

Anyway, that's it, just like parents moaning at their children for spending too much time on their computers (do I hear Zwift anyone), it's time we all went outside and turned off our cycling apps till November.

I'm sure this Sunday will be better, and any Sunday that features a George-led ride is always a good day, so come along and support your leaders and as I say every week, put your name down to lead either this week or on the April/May/June thread. Just logging in, and typing " I'll lead on xxxx" (where xxxx is a real date!) gives you an enormous sense of well-being towards your fellow club rider.

This weeks rides are:

A: Volunteer required
B: Croome Park - Philip Whiteman
C: Destination TBC - George Barker

Andy W

Re: Club runs - 25th March

Post by Andy W » 19 Mar 2018 13:30

Family commitments Phil nothing to do with the weather or the 125 miles we did the day before lol, both won't stop me from being out

George

Post by George » 19 Mar 2018 21:26

It's a long time since a C run went to Charlecote isn't it? Is there any particular reason for that? Are we still welcome at the garden centre café?

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 20 Mar 2018 10:19

Hi George,

Si Walker led the C ride there on 18th Feb, so not too long ago. Not sure which cafe they stopped at, but normally a good destination!

George

Post by George » 20 Mar 2018 10:48

Thanks, Matt. That had slipped my attention (I was away that weekend). I'll check out his route... if it's very similar to what I had in mind, I'll maybe try another venue. I've got a lot of work on at the moment, so it may be the end of the week before I can do any proper route planning. Apologies for the delay.

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 20 Mar 2018 17:45

Oi, A and B riders, get your name down to lead this week! It’s shaping up well weather-wise, it’s not Easter, and we have some leaders for the following 2-3 weeks...let’s have a full house of leaders for a change.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Mar 2018 10:16

I'll do the B Run assuming that I don't experience a wheel failure again. Destination: Croome Park. Out via Tardebigge; return via Crutch Lane.

Happy to lead a joint A/B run providing if no A leader is forthcoming but the pace will be at B pace. My legs are too sluggish to go any faster.

George

Post by George » 23 Mar 2018 15:38

Sunday's C run will go to Vale Golf Club, who have been forewarned.

Route:
- On Strava
- On BikeHike

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 23 Mar 2018 19:08

The B Run cafe stop discussion will focus upon the myths and history of the ancient Greek city of Thebes and its depiction in Athenian drama. In myths it was said to be home to Heracles, Dionysus, Oedipus and Cadmus among others and, in history, was infamous for supporting Xerxes in the Persian War. Its prominence led to a struggle with the rising force of Macedon in which the Thebans were defeated at Chaironea in 338 BC, one of the most important battles in ancient history. The position of Thebes in Greek culture was enormously powerful. The strength of its myths and its proximity to Athens made it a source of stories for the Athenian theatre, and is the setting for more of the surviving plays than any other location.

So do your homework in advance and we should have a lively and fruitful cafe stop discussion.

George

Post by George » 24 Mar 2018 10:08

Philip Whiteman wrote:
23 Mar 2018 19:08
The B Run cafe stop discussion will focus upon the myths and history of the ancient Greek city of Thebes and its depiction in Athenian drama. In myths it was said to be home to Heracles, Dionysus, Oedipus and Cadmus among others and, in history, was infamous for supporting Xerxes in the Persian War. Its prominence led to a struggle with the rising force of Macedon in which the Thebans were defeated at Chaironea in 338 BC, one of the most important battles in ancient history. The position of Thebes in Greek culture was enormously powerful. The strength of its myths and its proximity to Athens made it a source of stories for the Athenian theatre, and is the setting for more of the surviving plays than any other location.

So do your homework in advance and we should have a lively and fruitful cafe stop discussion.
You've been listening to Melvyn Bragg.

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 24 Mar 2018 12:58

Don't forget that the clocks change this weekend! (go forward)
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 25 Mar 2018 15:31

Today's B+/A- Run basked in the sunshine with plenty of chit chat on the merits of philosophy of the Hellenistic period and its influence on modern western culture. Aside from that it was sunny.

We had a new rider with us who hopes to ride time trials this year. Tessa Sandberg is in the UK for just this year and it is good to have her on board.

Andy Wrightson receives the award for 'most determined rider in the face of adversity' prize. Andy's tyre failed outbound and it was patched. Upon leaving Croome, all was not well. First of all gunge was pumped into the wheel but that was useless. A further stop and the inclusion of treble-layered patch consisting of a boot patch, old gel wrapper and section of discarded inner tube was sufficient for what was a hopefully successful return journey.

Paul Johnson arrived under his own steam by which time all the bacon sandwiches had sold out.

Philip Whiteman L
Ben Crone
Neil Lynch
Tessa Sandberg
Nick Shenton
James 'see through bibtights' Tate
Kevin Young
Andy Wrighton
Andy McGrath
Paul Johnson
Thomas Whiteman on Cnoc 14 Islabike.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » 25 Mar 2018 17:05

I made it home and its bulging bad but still up ish lol, thanks to all for your help and sorry for the delays folks, thanks to Andy I'll have a new set on and they come without any of the problems

George

Post by George » 25 Mar 2018 17:56

Today's Board meeting (aka C run, an animated Frank Patterson drawing, if your disregard the carbon) was attended by the following:

Pete Norman
David Little
Simon Walker
Simon Turner
Judy Smart
Colin Hall
Neil Evanson
Phil Gameson
Laurie Derbyshire
Simon Woodward
Dave Cole
Paul Derbyshire
Dave Cox
Matthew Hale
Toby Hale
Will Woodhouse
Andy Terry
George Barker (L)

Thanks for your company, everyone; I hope the pacing was in line with recent C runs.

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 25 Mar 2018 21:09

And on the "X" run to watch the LVRC Pinvin RR were;

Anne Hughes
John Hitchcock
Jane Herrin
Tony Webb
Pat Hadden
Ken Haddon
Bob Green

No points I suppose but all resplendent in club colours and some even took part in the judging!

(I seem to remember when the club runs frequently went to watch the local Race and support the riders. Ah, the good old days!)

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 26 Mar 2018 09:37

Hi Dave,

points for the X- run are fine...don't forget everybody, that club runs can be anything between rides of 1km or 1,400kms... Just announce it in advance so that others could choose to join or not, saying where and when you're going and it counts.

Non-standard club runs are very welcome!!

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 26 Mar 2018 14:56

Actually set out to join the C run on Sunday - first club run for what seems like years - flatted less than two miles from home, fixed that then realised I'd forgotten my drink bottle. I slunk home again cursing.
Graham

George

Post by George » 27 Mar 2018 11:02

GrahamGamblin wrote:
26 Mar 2018 14:56
Actually set out to join the C run on Sunday - first club run for what seems like years - flatted less than two miles from home, fixed that then realised I'd forgotten my drink bottle. I slunk home again cursing.
Sorry to have missed you, Graham. Better luck next time.