Club runs - 24th June

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 24th June

Post by WorcsPhil » 18 Jun 2018 09:50

There were no club runs on Sunday, of course, as it was the Janet Kelly Beacon RCC 10 mile Open TT. With her now weekly shout out, top kudos goes to Jess Rhodes-Jones, who won the female TT, equalling the course record with 22:01, over a minute clear of the second place rider...a fantastic ride again. Superb rides also from Xavier Disley, Paddy Allaway, Simon Dighton, Roger Cutler, Paul Watkins, Ian Taylor, Neil Orchard and Anne Hughes, with great times ridden by all.

Congratulations to Martin McGowan, Dave Cole and all the volunteers for a great event, it's wonderful that we organise these things as well as just ride out randomly, and it's this which separates us from other clubs, I believe,

Just to prove my point, there was the Silverstone 9up Team Time Trial on Friday night, with three teams from Beacon (the only club there with three teams, I think). Thanks again to Jess for organising the Beacon contingent...it was a great experience riding on the super-smooth F1 circuit, and it's a tremendously well organised event by Bicester Millennium CC. The Mixed teams finished fourth and fifth, with the 'A' team just outside the podium time...a couple of wheel clips saw Andy Terry and Laurie Derbyshire hit the deck, with Laurie the worst affected, but hopefully all will be well and back on their bikes this week. The men's team also rode very strongly in a highly competitive field.

Oh, and hot off the press...massive kudos for Rob Wade for riding and completing the 3 Coasts 615kms audax over the weekend, a true randonneur!

Oh, and club runs! This weekend sees the 2018 annual 'pushing the boundaries' club run. Outrageously, we have a 400kms club run organised by Paul Johnson...details are on the parallel thread, but it visits everywhere and leaves at quarter past midnight on Friday night/Saturday morning, i.e. the ride is all day Saturday. We appreciate that this clashes with the Beacon Track day at Halesowen track on the Saturday, so you have a choice of riding at extreme ends of the spectrum this weekend.

Please can people volunteer to lead 'traditional' club runs on Sunday, please, we have a couple of weeks of nice weather coming up, so be good if we can get ride leaders all lined up in advance. Finally, I have now loaded the July, August and September thread for us all to fill in, and I've led by example and posted early. Enjoy the Football tonight, if that's possible.

This week's rides:

A: Beacon Burst (50 miler non stop and back before the footie) - Neil Orchard, (meet at 08:15, leaving at 08:30)
B: Wellesbourne - Chris Ashford (Meet at 08:15, leaving at 08:30)
C: Bewdley - Matt Hale (meet at 08:15, leaving at 08:30)

Alternative club run: 400kms ride to most places in the Midlands, leaves at 00:15 on SATURDAY 23rd June, i.e. we’re cycling on Saturday

caashford

100M / 160K - B Run (Wellesbourne) 08:30 Start

Post by caashford » 18 Jun 2018 11:42

UPDATED 19/06/2018 - START TIME / ROUTE

Well, its been a while, but I am going to make my return to the Beacon fold with a nice little B ride 100miler / 160k to Wellesbourne for those that don't want to watch the football.

The route will be: Northfield - Flyfold Flavell 55k - Wellesbourne (The Coffee Stop) 100k - Meriden 135k - Northfield 165k.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27837208

Note that the first (Auntie Rita's) and third stop (Meriden) will just be to take on fuel and have a quick 5min toilet break then push on - there may be a few who can chose to do a u-turn, as this is your opportunity to head back for the football! The breakfast / lunch stop will be in Wellesbourne.

TIME UPDATED: 08:15 for a 08:30 departure to link in will the other Beacon Rides.

Looking forward to catching up with some familar faces.

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by caashford on 19 Jun 2018 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

neilo

Re: Club runs - 24th June

Post by neilo » 18 Jun 2018 11:53

It's the England v Panama game on Sunday kicking off at 1 o clock so I'll lead an A run beacon burst starting at 8.30, around 50 miles and flattish so should be back no later than 11.30.

George

Post by George » 18 Jun 2018 14:35

caashford wrote:
18 Jun 2018 11:42
The route will be: Northfield - Flyfold Flavell 60k - Wellesborne (The Coffee Stop) 100k - Meriden 130k - Northfield 160k.
Are you planning to stop at Flyford, Chris? If so, are you aware that the tea room there now has a size limit for cycling groups?

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 18 Jun 2018 16:42

I can lead a C Run - destination Bewdley. I'm going to copy Neil's suggestion, and go with an early start - meet 8:15 for an 8:30 departure.

Route will be around 48 miles BH to BH. Here's the proposed route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27830103

I am planning a cafe stop though and open to suggestions - there's the riverside cafe, but not always easy to get a group in. Does anyone know if the SVR cafe is open or has that now closed? Alternatively, we could stop a bit further along the route in Wolverley which is on the return section of the route.

Depending on speed/size of group etc, we should arrive back to catch most of the football.
Last edited by Matt Hale on 21 Jun 2018 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 18 Jun 2018 16:49

As per Philip Whitemans post in April:

The high class restaurant (aka dodgy shack) has been condemned as unsafe. Instead the railway are now using a railway carriage as a interim measure. This means that use by cycling groups will become more problematic due to limited capacity and at seat service.

On that basis, I think we'll avoid using the SVR cafe. The riverside cafe is at approx 26 miles, Wolverley is 30 miles. We can make a call on the day unless anyone else has any ideas.

See you Sunday!

caashford

Post by caashford » 19 Jun 2018 10:41

Hi George, no I'm not planning on stopping at Auntie Rita's. Some of the guys who will be coming on the club run want to head back for the football also, so if anyone wants a B-Run pace ride out to Flyford and then head back then it will be 120k route round trip (out and back).
I would suggest that individuals stock up on supplies as it will be 100k to the first stop, and we will just park up outside Auntie Ritas to have an energy bar / 5 min drink + toilet break stop nearby.

I think I am taking the "non-football" crowd!

@Phil Richards, please note updated start times and corrected route at earlier post to align with other groups heading out. Give everyone a chance to decide what they want to do at 08:30!

BenC

Post by BenC » 19 Jun 2018 19:32

Neil, where are you thinking of heading for the burst?

neilo

Post by neilo » 19 Jun 2018 21:21

Most probably Kenilworth Ben, bit flatter than the Rockies!

neilo

Post by neilo » 24 Jun 2018 12:05

Great weather for the 'burst' today and back by 11.30.
9 riders out with a quick stop for an ice lolly :D
Riders were (in alphabetical order)
Phil Elwell
Alistair Hey
Neil Orchard (leading)
Matt Reagan
Ian Simpson
Ian Taylor
Nic Vipond
Joe Warwood
Kevin Young
Cheers to everyone who pulled on the front, especially Joe with his 20 second stint _Q
Last edited by neilo on 25 Jun 2018 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 24 Jun 2018 14:32

Fantastic C ride to Wolverley on a beautiful day. The cafe stop was at Wolverley village stores/Gil's - very accommodating and good selection in a nice spot.

Riders were:

Matt Hale (L)
Dave Cole
Dave Cox
Neil Evanson
Mark Gardner
Toby Hale
Dave Hutchings
Mark McConkey
Adrian McHugh
Pete Norman
Judy Smart
David Stevenson
Will Woodhouse
Andy Wrightson

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 24 Jun 2018 16:09

Thanks for leading Matt great route and the Cafe was excellent!

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 24 Jun 2018 16:23

Great ride today Matt. Excellent cafe and I didn't know it existed
Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

caashford

Re: Club runs - 24th June - B Ride

Post by caashford » 24 Jun 2018 21:38

I think most people were too stunned to see Andy Wrightson standing in front of them when the call went out for the "B" ride to Wellesbourne (although it might have had something to do with the football being on at 13:00) so it was a perfectly formed group of two for the full ride.
Two BRAT's who came along for joined us until Grafton before heading off to watch Harry Kane score his goals on England's behalf. Lovely weather, great baguettes, quiet roads and no hills - what more could you want on a Sunday!

B Ride:
Chris Ashford (Leading)
Martin McGowan
Nick Haigh (first half of ride)
Tammy Kariolis (first half of ride)