Club runs - 23rd September

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 23rd September

Post by WorcsPhil » 17 Sep 2018 09:33

Forget Simon Yates' achievement...Andy Wrightson has officially won the Club rider of the year 2018 with two weeks still to go. The national anthem will play proudly at the prize dinner as Andy steps forward...well done, Andy.

We had 22 riders out at the weekend on the three rides, and thanks to Paul, Simon (Graceland?) and Pete for leading the A, B and C respectively.

There was a big crash on the A-ride, albeit no one was hurt other than cuts and bruises, but there are lessons to be learnt form this incident. We often use lanes that we are familiar with and sometimes they come back to bite us. The six A-riders were riding down the lane between Cutnall Green and Doveridge, with a couple of riders riding two abreast chatting away normally on the front. However the lane was narrow with poor visibility due to the high hedgerows, and the speed was pretty high on a down slope before a bend...Just at the wrong moment, a car came the other way leaving the rider on the outside of the two with nowhere to go other than into and over the car bonnet and into the verge...The car driver was not driving fast, indeed, at the time of impact she had braked to a halt, but it does confirm that although it may be good practice to ride two abreast on wider roads, on narrow roads with limited forward visibility, then please single out, as all those on the inside squeezed past the car in the metre of space that was available.

The second lesson learnt is rider insurance. The car bonnet was damaged, and it's unsure who pays for the repair and we will be discussing rider insurance at this week's committee meeting.

These things happen from time to time, but if we can learn from it, then that's all we can do.

Anyway, hopefully that's the last crash for many months!....and be good if we can get back to three successful club runs this week.

This week's rides, as usual will probably fill up during the week, please step forward if you're available.

A: Volunteer required
B: Volunteer required
C: Volunteer required

WorcsPhil

Re: Club runs - 23rd September

Post by WorcsPhil » 20 Sep 2018 11:34

I'll lead an A-run this week, and award myself 15 club run points to ensure the club run competition goes to the last week... :D

I'll post destination here shortly...

Phil

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 21 Sep 2018 09:31

Weather on Sunday looks frigging awful at the moment, but I'll wait until tomorrow before deciding whether to lead an A-run this week. If not, I'll defer to early October.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 21 Sep 2018 12:17

I was really looking forward to riding with you all on Sunday, but as Phil says, its looking grim :cry:
Belt up, we're going for a ride

BenC

Post by BenC » 21 Sep 2018 14:09

Come join me this Sunday for some cross training (not the cyclo kind): www.waseleywobbler.com

Trainers are much easier to clean than bikes...

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 22 Sep 2018 10:16

Apologies all, but I won’t be leading tomorrow morning now. Although it’s a slightly better picture weather-wise, I’m committed to family stuff now.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » 23 Sep 2018 12:43

On today's shortened club ride to whitlenge was
James tate leading A
Andy Wrightson leading B
Rob wade leadingC
We combined the 3 runs into one for a wet/sunny uneventful ride out