Club runs - 21st October

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 21st October

Post by WorcsPhil » 15 Oct 2018 13:32

So, another damp squib of a weekend, we're not having much luck at the moment, with Sunday's weather taking a huge turn for the worse in the last couple of days, so suspected there was no one at the Black Horse on Sunday...and Zwift ruled again - harrumph.

I saw a few actually outside via strava, congrats to Nick and Andy for riding the Cat and Fiddle challenge in the pouring rain again!...Also to those in hill climb events at Gorcott - Ade Ravenscroft, a couple of Egans and Mark Patton for being second fastest rider...and also Dave McCann who was down south and John Hunt up north for another hill climb...that's a strange pastime, isn't it...deliberately riding uphill, it's much easier riding downhill, perhaps I'll tell them.

Again, the week's top kudos goes to Dave Hughes for not only winning team gold but also a couple of individual medals from the Masters World Championships in LA, which does indeed stand for Los Angeles, rather than Lower Aston. Fantastic stuff, Dave.

I've said this before, but this weekend's weather looks better, so let's get some damn rides organised...C-riders, you're being notoriously slow to volunteer leading despite us having a good number of regular riders, so if you haven't led much before, why not step forward this week.

This week's rides will be:

A: Honeybourne - Paul Johnson
B: Wyre Forest Café - Phil Gameson
C: Lavender Hall - Simon Turner

...Stop press: there is also an 8am club run on SATURDAY to the Boardman performance centre in Evesham, led by Chris Ashford...leaving from the Black Horse!

ballintrane

Re: Club runs - 21st October

Post by ballintrane » 15 Oct 2018 14:04

I'll lead the A run to Honeybourne about 68.6 miles(Winter bike rules may apply).
Paul Johnson

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 18 Oct 2018 19:39

I will lead the B run on Sunday to the Wyre Forest Visitor Centre.

The route will be http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Be ... yre-Forest - my usual one to the Wyre Forest Visitor Centre.
[The plotted route has an unnecessary trip along the dual carriageway and back between Day House Bank and Belbroughton.]

This is relatively short at 55 miles, but is quite hilly on the way out (and the first bit of the shorter return leg), so I would not recommend it for people thinking of moving up from the C run.
Phil Gameson

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 19 Oct 2018 10:53

Thanks, Phil!

It's my usual Friday lament, played out to that haunting Radiohead song...we have 15-20 regulars on the C-ride but a lack of people wishing to lead, despite a huge amount of experience in the riders. Please can someone post here with a route and suggested length for Sunday, where the weather looks set fair, and we all follow that and play support the leader...just making it up on the day invariably means a difference of opinion, and people wanting different things on the day.

Go on, you know it makes sense!

Simmo

Post by Simmo » 19 Oct 2018 12:15

I will lead a C run to Lavender Hall pretty flat about 50 ish miles
For those of you who want to if I can work it out we can add in a loop to take in the climb at Maxstoke which is fun and one my 100 year old Granddad used to train on so it will obviously help us all live to a ripe old age.

PeteNorman

Post by PeteNorman » 19 Oct 2018 17:03

Nice one Simmo!
This Grandad wants to carry on cycling till 100 so bring on Maxstoke!
Pete

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 19 Oct 2018 20:00

Excellent be good to go back to Maxstoke

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 20 Oct 2018 15:54

Slight change to the A run we will now go to Blackminster rather than Honeybourne.
Paul Johnson

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 21 Oct 2018 13:54

The B Run to the Wyre Forest Visitor Centre was enjoyed by a small and select group. The mist cleared just over half way on the way out to reveal some great views - in fact the best views were probably just as the mist began to lift.
On the ride were:
Phil Gameson (leading)
Laurie Derbyshire
Paul Derbyshire
Dave Hughes.

Dave left us before the Café - something to do with preparing for National events...
Phil Gameson

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 21 Oct 2018 14:45

On today's A run to Blackminster not Honeybourne.
Paul Johnson(L)
Phil"The Diary" Richards
Lebitia Letuvauskai
Jon Williams
Neil"How green is that banana?"Orchid
Neil Lynch
Andy Wrightson
Rob Wade
Vincent Tennant
Kevin Young
Paul Johnson

Simmo

Post by Simmo » 21 Oct 2018 17:28

Cracking C run to Lavender Hall participants were
Simon Turner leading
Finella Brown (sorry if misspelt)
Dave Little
Simon Woodward
Neil Evanson
Matt Hale
Pete Norman
Dave Cox
David Stephenson
Aid McHugh
Colin Hall
Marks McConkey and Gardner
Ben Bryan (1st ride coped
Thanks everyone

Fenella

Post by Fenella » 21 Oct 2018 17:36

Thanks for the C run today. Great route out - good to get into some new roads.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 21 Oct 2018 21:50

Thanks for leading Si and nice to ride up your (100 year old) Grandad's favourite climb.

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 22 Oct 2018 05:53

So that is what it is like to ride outside in the open air, kinda nice innit? Cracking ride PhilG but after 10 miles I began to get faint with glucose depletion.