Club runs - 11th November

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 11th November

Post by WorcsPhil » 08 Nov 2018 02:31

So we had 21 riders out in the cold and damp on Sunday, a good effort. Particular thanks to Dave Cox for leading the intro and good to see some new riders out riding with the Beacon.

It’s rememberance day this Sunday and we need some volunteers to lead club runs as the weather is bound to be sunny and warm :) remember to volunteer and possibly get somewhere nice and dry at 11am for the centenary of the armistice.

Enjoy. This week’s rides will be:

A: Wyre Forest Visitor Centre - Philip Whiteman
B: Volunteer required
C: Volunteer required

Philip Whiteman

Re: Club runs - 11th November

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Nov 2018 18:11

I'm available for Sunday's A Run:

Wyre Forest Visitor Centre.

Join me in purgatory whilst I lead the most miserable and depressing club run ever within Beacon RCC history as we cycle round litter strewn streets talking about BREXIT, Phil Richards and how we are all going to die of Ebola. At the cafe, we will all be served with ditch water with a bed of tasty turf. The weather forecast is driving head-on sleet in storm force winds.

Out via: Derelict Industrial Estates
Returning via: Refuse Recycling Sites.

https://www.facebook.com/TheForestCafeWyre/

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 09 Nov 2018 20:24

Here is Sunday's route. Note the rather odd arrangement on the return portion through Stourport. This mystery tour is due to the town centre being closed between 10.30 and 1.30 for Remembrance Sunday. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28903763

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 10 Nov 2018 09:06

In the absence of anyone else I am willing to lead the B Run this week.
This would be the third B Run I have led in the last four weeks, so if anyone else wishes to lead please so!

If I lead it will be to Alcester - I have yet to decide on / pick a route, but it will be between 50 and 60 miles. At this stage I cannot say how hilly it will be, but almost certainly less than the A ride!
Phil Gameson

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 10 Nov 2018 12:33

I have plotted a new route for tomorrow (my second ever own route) - total 56 miles and about 2,700 feet / 820 metres of climbing (and descending!). So not too hilly.
I expect most of the roads will be familiar, but maybe not joined up in the usual way...
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28906394
Phil Gameson

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 10 Nov 2018 17:40

I can lead a C run, but will be a little shorter than usual as I need to be home early afternoon. I'll post a route/destination later. If anyone else wants to do a normal length ride, happy to step aside.

Destination Wootton Wawen (Cowshed @ Yew Tree Craft Centre). Out via Tardebigge & Astwood Bank, returning via Tanworth in Arden.

See you at the Black Horse!

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 11 Nov 2018 14:10

On the C ride today:

Matt Hale (L)
Dave Cox
Neil Evanson
Mark Gardner
Toby Hale
Anne Hughes (turned off at Caughton just before the stop)
Dave Little
Mark McConkey
Ade McHugh
Vince Tennant
Si Walker

It was busy at the cafe and we had to sit outside...would be worth booking ahead and reserving a table

Riders dispersed at various points on the way back and I pushed on with Toby once we'd got to Tanworth. Hope everyone made it back OK
Last edited by Matt Hale on 12 Nov 2018 12:34, edited 3 times in total.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 11 Nov 2018 14:34

Thanks Matt nice route on steadily improving day. I pottered home just fine !

PhilG

Post by PhilG » 11 Nov 2018 14:53

On today's B run were:
Phil Gameson (Leader)
Dave Hughes
Richard Leaper
Jon Sadler

The slightly unpleasant weather at the Black Horse soon changed into sunshine.

Dave joined us at Rednal, and on this occasion made it all the way back to Birmingham with us.
I thought that a group of four and a choice of four cafes in Alcester would not prove a problem. However, when we got there the main street was closed to traffic and was full of people who had just left a remembrance day service. There was no chance of getting a drink or snack straight away, so we carried on. In the end we stopped at Earlswood, 47 miles into the ride!
Phil Gameson

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 Nov 2018 15:28

What a wonderful day which was unseasonably warm for November.

Nothing untoward to report other than a mystery tour through Stourport on the way home as an attempt to avoid Gilgal. The route was slightly shortened outbound to avoid having to stop on a climb at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day. It was good to meet two new'ish members in the form of Jamie and James - hopefully you will be back. Nick Shenton was out with a newly assembled bike which held together asides from a loose saddle.

Philip Whiteman (L)
Andy Wrightson
Paul Johnson, CEO of the Institute of FIscal Studies.
Jamie Brooks
Norchard (Neil Orchard)
Nick Shenton
James Bendle