Club Runs - 16th December

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club Runs - 16th December

Post by WorcsPhil » 10 Dec 2018 11:00

27 riders out on the 3 rides on Sunday, but annoyingly for those who like order and symmetry in their lives, we were split 9 riders on the A, 8 on the B and 10 on the C, rather than the 9-9-9 split that would have been perfect. I jest, of course, and it shows that we need to retain the three weekly rides as it clearly addresses what we want.... and it order for this to be perfect, we need ride leaders....yawn, yawn

So we move on, no people winning track world championships, time trials or hill climbs this weekend, and it was the last week of the cross season so kudos to all who rode these and wore the Beacon colours. So for the next few weeks, all you have to ride and represent Beacon is our club runs...why not come out and enjoy the quiet, respectable chivalry of Paul Johnson, the ritual bacon eating, and the opportunity to discuss Brexit at length at the cafes of the Midlands. To avoid this, can I suggest that this week's café topic will be identifying the club's favourite marsupial. It is often discussed of course, but we've yet to formally identify our favourite.

(For those new people reading this, I write a load of tosh on here, don't take it seriously)

This week's rides are listed below...

A: Codsall - Nick Shenton
B: Hillers Farm Shop - Simon Woodward
C: Ride leader and destination needed

Simon Woodward

Re: Club Runs - 16th December

Post by Simon Woodward » 10 Dec 2018 19:27

I'll lead a B ride on Sunday. Venue and route to be confirmed later in the week.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 11 Dec 2018 08:07

This weeks A Run will be to Codsall & Wergs Garden centre cafe.

I took a ride here earlier in the year and the breakfasts are very good and reasonably priced for a Garden Centre.

Distance will be approx 100km BH to BH. Out via Kinver & Wombourne; Back via Seisdon & Kinver.

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 13 Dec 2018 21:16

The forecast for Sunday is looking good

I'll lead the B ride to Hillers Farm Shop, following Sean Barker's route on the routes database. 59 Miles with the cafe at 36 miles.
The route's available to download below
Hillers Farm Shop

There's been a change of plan.
The B ride will now be going to Clows Top as per post below
Last edited by Simon Woodward on 15 Dec 2018 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

PeteNorman

Re: Club Runs - 16th December C Ride

Post by PeteNorman » 15 Dec 2018 12:15

If there is a demand for C then I will lead a 40 mile C ride to Alcester, be back by 1pm. The café by the Church.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25755637 (Oh and carefully researched with no off road segments!)

However if people want to go further then post a route, you could say this offer is a backstop!

No-one fell off, though I attempted to lead the peleton across in front of an approaching Yellow Triumph Stag, could have been a wipe-out!

Pete Norman (Lead)
Dave Cox
Matt Hales (well caught up)
Simon Turner
Dave Little
Mark Russell
Colin Hall

Discussion at café; that C rides over winter period should endeavour to be about 40 miles with a café stop, the intention being to encourage new riders/members who may have commitments on a Sunday afternoon. We could post 40 mile winter routes on the club run database?

Pete
Last edited by PeteNorman on 18 Dec 2018 10:47, edited 3 times in total.

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 15 Dec 2018 13:09

Unfortunately there need to be a change of plan for the B Run. Hillers are fully booked up. :(
I'll lead a ride to Clows Top instead.

The route is Matt Hale's and is available below.
Clows Top Route

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 16 Dec 2018 13:31

An eventful A Run to say the least this morning saw 5 out of the 6 of us hitting the deck due to black ice.

Phil Richards & Neil Lynch both took a tumble en-route to the Black Horse. Myself, Andy W & Tessa Sandberg all did a synchronized fall worthy of a Dancing on Ice style 10's across the board in Caunsall.

Miraculously Steve Tudor avoided a crash for which he was duly ribbed about for the rest of the ride.

Safe to say we never made it to our intended destination and found a warm cafe in Wolverley to rest our bruised bodies.

Hope everyone got back without incident and the bike is ok ;-)

On today's mostly upright A Run were:

Nick (Evil Knievel) Shenton (Leading)
Andy (Evil Knievel) Wrightson
Phil (Evil Knievel) Richards
Neil (Evil Knievel) Lynch
Tessa (Evil Knievel) Sanderson
Steven (More Jam than Hartley's) Tudor

A fond farewell to Tessa who heads back to the land of Bicycles and ...ahem Cafes

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 16 Dec 2018 13:51

There was a Change of both leader and destination for the B ride.
We also encountered black ice with a couple of riders including Si Walker hitting the deck. This prompted us to keep to the main roads and stay well away from the country lanes for the rest of the route which went without incident.

On the B run to Warwick were.

Brett Henshaw
Richard Leaper
Seb Perkins
Si Walker (Leading)
Simon Woodward

Thanks for leading Si. :)