Club runs - 3rd March

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club runs - 3rd March

Post by WorcsPhil » 25 Feb 2019 10:40

First of all, a big thanks for all the riders and helpers at the Sunrise/Snowdrop audax on Saturday. We were blessed with wonderful weather and it seemed this was a successful Beacon event. Great stuff.

A big turn out for this event meant that club run attendance was understandably lower than normal on Sunday, but thanks to Neil and Simon for leading the B and C rides respectively. Unfortunately there was a bad crash on the B ride which hospitalised a rider. We'll discuss as a committee any lessons from this, but a couple of quick pointers is to ensure you have emergency contacts via either your iPhone (look at settings, Emergency SOS, and complete the details, many medical people know to look there), presumably other phones have such a system...and/or we will formalise ICE cards across the club. Anyway, hope James is ok.

This week's rides are as follows:

A: Cobhouse Fisheries - Paul Johnson
B: Volunteer required
C: Volunteer required
Intro Ride is being led by George Barker this Sunday to Chaddesley Corbett, supported by Dave Cox
Women's ride on Saturday: Carolyn Clegg leading again at 08:30 at the Black Horse

ballintrane

Re: Club runs - 3rd March

Post by ballintrane » 25 Feb 2019 10:47

A ride to Cobhouse Fisheries.
Paul Johnson

jbendle

Post by jbendle » 25 Feb 2019 12:29

Hi All - thanks for your messages. I'm fine. Released from A&E yesterday after being checked over and x-rayed. No concussion or broken bones, but I had quite a lot of bleeding from my face and have complete memory loss of the incident and aftermath until some point in the afternoon when I came online in A&E (due to shock apparently).

According to Jon Sadler I hit some dodgy surface on an adverse camber. Bad luck, don't believe I was going excessively fast - but will be looking again and my bike set up and tires etc.

I will be updating my emergency contact details and protocols (my Garmin should have alerted my wife and detected the accident via it's gyroscope- but didn't!). A sobering experience!

James

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 25 Feb 2019 13:45

jbendle wrote:
25 Feb 2019 12:29
Hi All - thanks for your messages. I'm fine. Released from A&E yesterday after being checked over and x-rayed. No concussion or broken bones, but I had quite a lot of bleeding from my face and have complete memory loss of the incident and aftermath until some point in the afternoon when I came online in A&E (due to shock apparently).

According to Jon Sadler I hit some dodgy surface on an adverse camber. Bad luck, don't believe I was going excessively fast - but will be looking again and my bike set up and tires etc.

I will be updating my emergency contact details and protocols (my Garmin should have alerted my wife and detected the accident via it's gyroscope- but didn't!). A sobering experience!

James
Hello James. Really pleased that no longer-term damage was caused. Make sure that you get back on the bike soon, if only for a gentle pootle.

In terms of In-Case-of-Emergency contact details I have: a label stuck in my phone case, a wristband and helmet ID tag. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vital-ID/b/ref ... n=Vital+ID

jbendle

Post by jbendle » 25 Feb 2019 15:10

Cheers Phil - good idea re the tag. Have just ordered one.

James

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 25 Feb 2019 15:18

yes, James - great to hear that you're back at home and ok...reminds us all i think to make sure we have ID when we're out and about.

Hope to see you on a club run again soon

Phil

George

Post by George » 26 Feb 2019 09:24

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, James.

bobg

Post by bobg » 26 Feb 2019 10:01

Also, make sure that you have your contact details stored in your phone under ICE (in case emergency) as this is what all of the emergency services look for.
There is not a hill that is to steep to walk up.

carolyn

Post by carolyn » 26 Feb 2019 21:42

Saturday's C ride adventures continue this week:

0730 start from the BH
22mile Earlswood loop

George

Post by George » 27 Feb 2019 11:48

This Sunday's introductory ride will go to Chaddesley Corbett. It's a route I've used for many previous intro rides: 47km (just under 30 miles) through the rolling Worcestershire lanes, which are beautiful at this time of year. The terrain will present a modest element of challenge, so that completing the ride will provide a sense of achievement for anyone new to exploring the countryside by bike. However, my experience is that the route is definitely doable for anyone who already feels comfortable riding independently for an hour or two at maybe 20kph (12mph). We'll be riding in an orderly group, steering clear of busy roads where possible, and there'll be a café stop at just over half distance. We'll go at the pace of the slowest rider, which usually works out at 17 to 20 kph (10 to 12mph), meaning the whole ride takes around three hours. With the café stop and breathers at the tops of the main climbs, that should get us back to the Black Horse somewhere between 13:30 and 14:00.

- Here's the route on Strava
If you need a copy of the GPX, let me know.

Newcomers: please read our Club Run Guidelines before Sunday.
A few additional requests and bits of advice:
- Please scribble your own name and an emergency contact's name and number on a bit of paper and give it to me before we start. For privacy reasons, I'll destroy the slips of paper afterwards, but your own name (without any contact info) will go in our club run attendance register unless you tell me that you don't want that.
- The forecast is for a mild but showery day. So be ready for some rain, but don't overdress: light layers that you can add or subtract are best.
- Make sure you've got fluids on the bike and take a gulp every 15 minutes or so. We'll eat at the café, but a little just-in-case food in your pocket (banana, energy bar, etc) never goes amiss. A snack and a hot drink at the café is likely to cost you between £5 and £10.
- Your bike is your responsibility. If you develop a mechanical problem, I'll help if I can, but I won't be able to fix any serious issues at the roadside, and the club doesn't provide a broom wagon. So ask yourself how you would get home if something went seriously wrong, and bring your phone.

Fellow Beaconites:
Is anyone available to join us on this ride, to bring up the rear?

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 27 Feb 2019 17:57

I'll do the sweeper role George

George

Post by George » 27 Feb 2019 20:22

Dave Cox wrote:
27 Feb 2019 17:57
I'll do the sweeper role George
Thanks, Dave!

carolyn

Post by carolyn » 28 Feb 2019 08:38

Hi George, I should be free to help with your intro ride. I'll send out a message to the ladies and see if they can make it too

George

Post by George » 28 Feb 2019 09:25

carolyn wrote:
28 Feb 2019 08:38
Hi George, I should be free to help with your intro ride. I'll send out a message to the ladies and see if they can make it too
Thanks, Carolyn.

Adrian431

Post by Adrian431 » 28 Feb 2019 16:37

Hi myself and Joanne are happy to come along on the intro ride and help out
Adrian

carolyn

Post by carolyn » 02 Mar 2019 07:04

Hi George, I'm sorry I can't help tomorrow. I forgot we had the kids and were off visiting James dad.

One of the ladies Claire is planning to come on the intro with you. Have fun!

Gemma_j1983

Post by Gemma_j1983 » 02 Mar 2019 11:06

Girls ride on Saturday saw 4 girls again!
Was a bit chilly, and just started to rain towards the end.
The girls rode a great at a 14.5mph average!
Beacon ride!
Gemma Johnson (leading)
Naomi Fisher
Katie chesworth
Cat Newman
:D

George

Post by George » 02 Mar 2019 13:17

Adrian431 wrote:
28 Feb 2019 16:37
Hi myself and Joanne are happy to come along on the intro ride and help out
Adrian
Thanks!
carolyn wrote:
02 Mar 2019 07:04
Hi George, I'm sorry I can't help tomorrow. I forgot we had the kids and were off visiting James dad.

One of the ladies Claire is planning to come on the intro with you. Have fun!
No problem. Dave, Adrian and Joanne have all volunteered. Given the weather forecast, I'm starting to fear that we might actually have more helpers than newcomers.

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 02 Mar 2019 20:12

If the weather forecast is correct and it's lashing it down in the morning i may make the A run more of a burst ride meaning non stop about 50 miles. :roll:
Paul Johnson

George

Post by George » 02 Mar 2019 21:49

Looks like being pretty wet and windy tomorrow. Wouldn't surprise me if at least some newcomers decided that April would be a better month to start. I'll come to the BH anyway, but if there are no newcomers, I'll just tag along with another ride for a while and then head for home.

ballintrane

Post by ballintrane » 03 Mar 2019 13:07

On today's A run to No Destination.
Paul Johnson(L)
Alistair Hey
Jon Sadler
Andy Wrightson
Paul Johnson

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 03 Mar 2019 13:54

The B (more than C) ride went to the Jinney Ring on a very wet and cool day.
The aqua riders were as follows:

Finbarr Costigan
Phil Gameson
Wayne Gibbs
Noel O'Dwyer
Si Walker (Leading - ought to be Captain considering the amount of water)
Vince Tennant

Brett Henshaw was also at the Black Horse.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

George

Post by George » 03 Mar 2019 17:43

Well, if I hadn't promised to lead the intro ride, I'm pretty sure that I would have decided that today was an excellent day for a turbo session. However, fortunately for the future of the human race, there are people made of sterner stuff than I. At the Black Horse, a large group of newcomers, returnees and volunteers assembled, eager to demonstrate their defiance of the elements on the intro ride. Everyone performed well and would cope easily with a C run under more clement conditions. For me, the highlight of the ride (apart from meeting the new faces, of course) was going to the toilet at the café. (It gave me the opportunity to hold my hands under the hot air blower for a couple of minutes.)

Our company consisted of:
Adrian Low
Ash Turner
Charlotte Wood
Claire Cowood
Dave Cole
Dave Cox (2L)
Derek Reynolds
George Barker (L)
Hamaad Raja
Joanne Congerton
Jonathan Iforgottoask
Roger Green
Simon Woodward
Last edited by George on 03 Mar 2019 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 03 Mar 2019 17:53

Missing rider on your list is Ash Turner George - good intro and your ride home was epic!

George

Post by George » 03 Mar 2019 17:58

Dave Cox wrote:
03 Mar 2019 17:53
Missing rider on your list is Ash Turner George - good intro and your ride home was epic!
Thanks!

Hamaad_Raja

Post by Hamaad_Raja » 03 Mar 2019 18:12

Thanks George for leading a great ride

cbw

Post by cbw » 03 Mar 2019 20:29

Thanks for a lovely day, was v nice to meet everyone. I think we might wear our wetsuits if it’s like that next time!

Charlotte and Jonathan (Cree) :) ;;-)

See you next week.... :wink: