Club Runs -28th April

Details of and discussion about club runs

Moderators: WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole, Andy Terry, neilo

WorcsPhil

Club Runs -28th April

Post by WorcsPhil » 24 Apr 2019 09:41

two messages for the price of one this week:

WITH MY CHAIRMAN'S HAT ON....
Thanks to everyone who makes Beacon a thriving club. We don't just participate, we actually organise successful club runs, audaxes, road and cross races, time trials, young people events, track days, which is far more than other clubs do. We rise and fall however by having volunteers who can drive these events. Your committee had important gaps for nearly a year, but thanks to people stepping forward, we are a new bunch, with every post filled... We have met just twice but the spirit of the committee is to have a wide ranging and successful club, facilitating and paying for events as they come forward. However, the committee members are volunteers themselves of course. All of us organise things for Beacon as well as participate in events, juggling our normal lives, so although we encourage and enable others to do things, we can't do everything ourselves, or go to all events.

That's where you come in...we rise and fall by having volunteers and participants and those prepared to do something rather than just follow....and hence, please react and act when you can to help out. We have three upcoming events for example, the first is an hour of kids grass track racing at Rowheath on Bank Holiday Monday (May 6th). See Adrian Ravenscroft messages on the 'Club news & Events' thread on the message board. Take your kids along, or mention to others who may be interested, or why not go along for an hour and help out rather than sitting at home grouting your downstairs loo. Secondly, our 10mile open time trial is also looking for volunteers on Saturday June 15th...why not help out for a morning...and thirdly, we still need a couple of volunteers to help marshal the Enville round of the Thursday night SSSRRCCL race series on May 16th. All of these requests are on the message board and on facebook. It would really help us organisers if some non-organisers help out!

Finally, we reviewed our membership numbers at the last committee meeting, and there are a number of highly active club runners and racers who have not yet paid their 2019 Beacon membership. We know who you are!...and I'll mention it to you on a club run soon! Check with Andy Terry if you're not sure whether you've paid.

WITH MY CLUB RUN HAT ON...
19 riders out on Easter Sunday for a club run in the sun. Thanks to Ben Crone and Andy Terry for leading the A and C runs respectively but no B run last week :(

Plenty of other stuff going on of course, with perhaps top billing going to Simon Woodward, who not only rode the extremely difficult Cambrian 200kms audax over the Welsh mountains, but cycled to the start in Leominster and back home again after, making it a 340kms, 24 hour day...great stuff, Si. Perhaps grouting the downstairs loo isn't so bad after all.

We have an empty list this week, so again a call for leaders, let's get names down here, as it encourages waverers to come out when there is a named leader. Anyway, this week's rides are:

A: Upton - Nick Shenton
B: Ellendon Farm Shop - Harvington - Simon Woodward
c: Volunteer required

Women's ride on Saturday...news of that posted below and on facebook.

Simon Woodward

Re: Club Runs -28th April

Post by Simon Woodward » 24 Apr 2019 16:25

I'll lead a B ride on Sunday.
I'm not sure where to yet, but I'll be posting the route on here when I've worked out where to go.

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 25 Apr 2019 14:14

I'll take the A Run this Sunday - Destination tbc

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 25 Apr 2019 14:51

This Sundays A Run will be to Upton On Severn

75 Miles all in

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 26 Apr 2019 10:59

B Ride
The B ride will be to Ellenden Farm Shop in Harvington - 54 Miles.
The pace will probably be towards the top end of B pace to get there in time for breakfast.
The route is available to download here, https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29812165

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 27 Apr 2019 18:40

Hi - I’ll be at the black horse in the morning and am looking to do a C run.
My garmin is playing up and also I am NOT fit enough to lead a ride at the moment (which doesn’t look good for the velo in 2 weeks), so I will not lead a C run. However, if anyone is willing to lead, but is nervous about it, I am more than willing to help them out.
If no one wants to step up and lead, then I will be doing the usual route that we do with the beaconettes. Riders of any gender are welcome to join me, but please note it is a much shorter route and we don’t have a cafe stop. :D
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

Hamaad_Raja

Post by Hamaad_Raja » 27 Apr 2019 19:09

Hels147 wrote:
27 Apr 2019 18:40
Hi - I’ll be at the black horse in the morning and am looking to do a C run.
My garmin is playing up and also I am NOT fit enough to lead a ride at the moment (which doesn’t look good for the velo in 2 weeks), so I will not lead a C run. However, if anyone is willing to lead, but is nervous about it, I am more than willing to help them out.
If no one wants to step up and lead, then I will be doing the usual route that we do with the beaconettes. Riders of any gender are welcome to join me, but please note it is a much shorter route and we don’t have a cafe stop. :D

I will be there in the morning, hoping someone leads a C ride, if not i will join you on your shorter route 👍

Jamie B

Post by Jamie B » 28 Apr 2019 12:05

Hi all, managed to get a lift off a friend after the tubeless issue..

Thanks for loitering around! 👍
The one riding the Orange and Black Giant.....

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 28 Apr 2019 14:39

Well, despite being adamant I wasn’t going to..... I ended up leading the C run to lavender hall fisheries (it’s the only route in my garmin! Lol). It was a good run with no incidents. The ave speed was right at the top of the C run pace, so maybe I’m not as unfit as I feared?! On the run were;

Helen jamieson (lead)
Dave phelps
Ali Clements (first club run and prob won’t be long before he’s a regular B runner)
Andy nott (rear gunner)
Mark mcconkey
Hamaad raja
Cedric gioan
The guy who left us at hasley knob (sorry, I didn’t catch your name).
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 28 Apr 2019 15:07

Thanks for a most enjoyable B run, brisk pace down got us there in time for breakfast, despite the flats, slightly more sedate on the ride home which suited me fine. The sun even came out!
Graham

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 28 Apr 2019 16:22

The B run was a great route (Thanks Si Walker) and quick on the way out as promised to make sure we could cope with mechanicals and still get to the Cafe whilst it was in time for breakfast. Of course I didn't expect the mechanicals to be all mine. A **flat** on the rear and later on the front all within the first 20 miles. :cry:

On today's B ride were
Fenella brown
Claire fudge
Graham Gamblin (Thanks for the spare tube)
Phil gameson (Chief Mechanic)
Matthew Hale
Toby Hale
Alistair Hey
Noel O'Dwyer
V recchioni
John soady
Lee Spiers
Si walker (Rendezvoused with us at the cafe
Simon Woodward (Leader)

Thanks to everyone for all you support

Alberto Recchioni

Post by Alberto Recchioni » 28 Apr 2019 19:56

Thanks Simon for the amazing lead!

Nicks_77

Post by Nicks_77 » 28 Apr 2019 20:15

On today’s A Run to Upton were:-

Nick Shenton (Leading)
Paul Johnson
Andy Wrightson
Spencer Tapia
Chris Ashford
Vince Tenant
Mark Parish

Jamie Brooke’s suffered a terminal **flat** around 5km from the cafe so had to ring for a taxi/lift home.